Southwest Airlines

DKNE

We booked the extra $25 per person for the advanced seat assignment but I keep getting emails from SouthWest to reminder to sign in 24 hours prior to flight to get preferred boarding time. (we leave this weekend)

I thought spending the extra $25 we don't have to do that and it is automatically assigned to us 36 hours out and we would get an email with our boarding # ?

We booked the extra $25 per person for the advanced seat assignment but I keep getting emails from SouthWest to reminder to sign in 24 hours prior to flight to get preferred boarding time. (we leave this weekend)

I thought spending the extra $25 we don't have to do that and it is automatically assigned to us 36 hours out and we would get an email with our boarding # ?

As far as I know, you still have to check in. Go online and check in and you can print your boarding pass then too. Your reservation will have been "pulled" at 36 hours prior to flight time so you will have a boarding position that is before anyone who checks in at the 24 hour mark. Maybe you can wait to check in at the airport, but I am not sure as we always do it before. Maybe someone else can say.

On the Southwest site they have a frequently asked question area and a video called "boarding school" that will give you more info.

We always book the Early Bird on Southwest, and have always gotten an "A" boarding position.

You should check in for your flight. I fly Southwest all the time. I check in to get my boarding pass.They will not send it to you.

The early checkin gives you an earlier boarding number than those who have not paid the additional amount of $12.50 per person.

The previous posters are correct...you don't need to worry about checking at the 24 hour mark. You can checkin at your leisure even at the airport if you wish...tho I think you do have to do so at least an hour or so before. If you have a smart phone, their app works very well and then you won't have to worry about finding a printer.

Early Bird reserves boarding position 36 hours out but you do still need to check-in to get your boarding pass -whether it's worth doing online check in largely depends on what airport you're departing out of and if you have bags to check. Of course, if you don't buy early bird check-in, then it's always worth checking in as early as you can - but with early bird, no need to worry about when.

Traveling out of a small station like Buffalo with bags to check, I wouldn't bother with online check-in because there's no express bag drop line - might as well just get your boarding pass from the kiosk when you go to drop your bags, since you'll be waiting in the same line regardless.

Edited by cmich068

Early Bird reserves boarding position 36 hours out but you do still need to check-in to get your boarding pass -whether it's worth doing online check in largely depends on what airport you're departing out of and if you have bags to check. Of course, if you don't buy early bird check-in, then it's always worth checking in as early as you can - but with early bird, no need to worry about when.

Traveling out of a small station like Buffalo with bags to check, I wouldn't bother with online check-in because there's no express bag drop line - might as well just get your boarding pass from the kiosk when you go to drop your bags, since you'll be waiting in the same line regardless.

Yep we have to check bags. Definitely going to kiosk ! :D

I suggest checking in as far in advance as possible, and never arriving at the airport without a printed boarding pass. Doing both can save your bacon if things go amok at the airport.

Airlines prioritize by a combination of elite status, fare paid, and order of check-in when a flight is cancelled or they need to bump passengers due to overbooking. Checking in as soon as you can (no need to do it at the first possible minute, but don't dally) makes you less likely to be bumped, and gives you more protection on any connecting flights as well.

Several years ago a friend arrived to total chaos at the airport. AA had a systemwide computer glitch, and were only able to process passengers who had pre-printed BP's. There was still big delay processing luggage using a manual backup system, but at least she made her flight. Anyone without a printed BP was out of luck and her flight was only half full.

Both are admittedly unlikely, but I do whatever I can to reduce possible travel snafus, especially when OLCI is so fast and easy.

We booked the extra $25 per person for the advanced seat assignment
Just wanted to highlight the above statement. There are no seat assignments on SWA. You are assigned a boarding number and may choose from any open seat when you board. If you arrive at the end of boarding and you are holding the first boarding position you will only be able to select from the unoccupied seats.

We have used early bird many times on return flights. We are usually checking bags anyway never had any issues waiting until the airport to print boarding passes. Like it was said earlier you have to go to the Kiosk anyway if checking bags.

If you were responding to my post directly above yours, I have no doubt you've never had a problem. But the point is...what if the kiosks and computers are down? That's exactly what happened to my friend. Anyone who had checked in online and had a pre-printed boarding pass was manually processed (smart phone copy wasn't good). The airline used handwritten luggage tags like 30+ years ago and her BP got her through security. Everyone else was out of luck...the computers at the checkin counters and kiosks were useless.

Cheap insurance as I mentioned, but to each their own.

Edited by kenish

As far as I know, you still have to check in. Go online and check in

You should check in for your flight.

. You can checkin at your leisure even at the airport if you wish.

Early Bird reserves boarding position 36 hours out but you do still need to check-in to get your boarding pass.

You do not check in if you purchased EB. You simply print your boarding pass. These are not the same thing. From Southwest's webpage:

Do I need to check in online if I purchased EarlyBird Check-In?

No, EarlyBird Check-In® Customers will be checked in automatically and receive a reserved boarding position 36 hours prior to their flight's scheduled local departure time. Boarding Passes can be printed beginning 24 hours prior to the flight's scheduled local departure time.

Edited by 6rugrats