Forward facing or port side facing OV on Equinox?

ah334798

Forward facing ocean view cabins are nice. You're basically getting the same view as the bridge. Having sailed in one before, here are a couple things you should consider.

1. At night, the ship requires that you keep your curtains closed. Interior lights from the cabin can interfere with visibility on the bridge. If you forget, don't be surprised if you get a visit from the crew telling you to close your curtains.

2. Check your itinerary to see whether your ports of call are docked or tendered. The ship's anchor is at the front and when tendered, dropping/raising anchor is a noisy operation. I was woken from a sound sleep at 6:30 AM by the loudest noise ever. Sounded like the ship was running into something. If you value your sleep, a traditional side-facing ocean view may be preferable.

As I understand it, anchors are generally not used any more when ships tender; instead, they use GPS and their bow thrusters to keep the ship in position.

That being said, these bow thrusters do make a fair amount of noise and create a vibration when used, which anyone in those front facing staterooms will be very much aware of when it happens.

Also there are various sounds of metal hatches being opened, and lines being winched when docking. Sometimes you can even hear the crew door that gives access to the crew bar and the helipad area opening and shutting.

They aren't the quietest staterooms on the ship!

The front OVs are also a long walk from any place you may want to get on the ship! The ships are huge and it is quite a hike from the buffet, dining room Sunset bar etc. back to your state room. We were in the corner FV, and it was very loud in the AM--all things considered, it is very unlikely that I would book that location again

I have often thought that the Oceanview cabins on deck 3 close to the Passport Bar and Guest Relations would be fun to have. They have a great midship location, close to everything, and nice large windows and look attractive to me.

The front OVs are also a long walk from any place you may want to get on the ship! The ships are huge and it is quite a hike from the buffet, dining room Sunset bar etc. back to your state room. We were in the corner FV, and it was very loud in the AM--all things considered, it is very unlikely that I would book that location again

I have often thought that the Oceanview cabins on deck 3 close to the Passport Bar and Guest Relations would be fun to have. They have a great midship location, close to everything, and nice large windows and look attractive to me.

Before I got hooked on balconies, deck 3 ocean view cabins were my favorite for the reasons you mentioned. It also was nice to always have an empty (or close to it) elevator available. We would book just a few rooms in from the lobby area - very quiet. Also being low and center, it is where you feel the least motion on a ship.

Perhaps in our case then it was a part of standard ship maintenance... test the anchor to make sure it works just in case. All I know is that it was loud and jolted both of us out of a dead sleep way too early in the morning :)

As I understand it, anchors are generally not used any more when ships tender; instead, they use GPS and their bow thrusters to keep the ship in position.

That being said, these bow thrusters do make a fair amount of noise and create a vibration when used, which anyone in those front facing staterooms will be very much aware of when it happens.

Also there are various sounds of metal hatches being opened, and lines being winched when docking. Sometimes you can even hear the crew door that gives access to the crew bar and the helipad area opening and shutting.

They aren't the quietest staterooms on the ship!