Early saver upgrades??

karessamom

I booked last year for our Aug. cruise on Magic a porthole room. Now I've noticed that the rates are going down and we can get an Ocean view for just a little more. If we upgrade to an OV would we loose the $50 per person cancellation fee?? we booked at the Early Saver rate?? Also out of curiosity which is better a Port hole room in very front of ship or the OV rooms at the very back of the ship?? it would me on main deck of Magic. or will the prices keep going down?? the balcony rates are dropping too but not seeing as much of a drop, though as it gets closer to sail (Aug) or final payment in May?? BTW we haven't made final payment yet.

I've upgraded from a porthole to a deluxe OV for only $20 total extra. The prices kept dropping, but since porthole cabins were sold out, they wouldn't let us match any prices, so we upgraded. But we took a forward room on deck 1. I prefer the forward to the aft. The forward has more consistent sounds & motions. Rocking of the ship & waves hitting the front. The back has more engine noise & odd, random sounds & strange vibrations. Some ships are worse than others; I'm not sure how Magic is with this. The back is in a good spot though, being underneath the quiet dining room.

And even after the upgrade, you would still remain Early Saver, so you would still be eligible for price matching to your new room category. No penalty for upgrading, but you are still under the Early Saver restrictions.

We can upgrade to an aft OV with picture window at the very rear of the ship for a couple hundred more than what we paid for our porthole.. are there any disadvantages to being in the far rear?? Also what are the advantages or disadvantages to paying off the cruise before due. we cruise in Aug. final payment is not due til the end of May but are there any disadvantages to doing this such as not getting upgrades etc??

Edited by karessamom

With ES you can upgrade without penalty, it's only cancellation and downgrading that is not allowed.

I've done it.

If you want to move up a category they are happy to allow you to do that. You should still remain ES as well.

As far as disadvantages, the ship shakes more in the front and aft when the thrusters are being used. I prefer the aft of the ship.

Paying off the cruise early means that if the price drops, it gets refunded back to your card, but upgrades and OBC are still possible afterwards.

We were just on the Freedom and there were loud bangs heard in the porthole rooms throughout the night. We assumed it was from the water hitting the bulbous bow which is right there by those rooms. Just a few rooms down and we didn't hear it. I would definitely go for the OV room and get away from the very front.

One of the thing I like about the aft cabins is the back set of elevators go right to the lido buffet.

I head out of cabin up elevators grab some stuff and back to the cabin faster than I can choose something from room service.

Quick coffee refills. We bring our own large mugs.

We're going to try for the upgrade, I called Carnival but of course since I booked thru a TA they couldn't touch it. (dahh I thought that might be the case but thought i'd try it anyhow.) and of course because it's sunday the TA is closed, however I did sent off an email to my TA so hopefully she'll get it tomorrow and make the changes. Thanks everyone for your help, we're going to try for rooms 2464, 2489 or 2474 on the Magic. they are showing available as of today so we'll see if any are available by tomorrow or when the TA finally gets the email. I will also try to give her a call tomorrow but I haven't had a lot of luck in the past seems her schedule is about the same as mine ha. and I work on a call floor so don't have much liberty to make phone calls except at break times.

For me, I greatly prefer the forward to the aft. Forward does have some noise from the waves hitting the front of the ship, but it's consistent. Forward has some ship noises when coming into or leaving port, but I need to be up then anyway. Forward has a consistent rocking motion. Aft has very inconsistent noises & motions. It can hit at the most random times, even when sailing along at the same speeds. Nothing about the motion or noise is consistent there. Different ships are worse about this than others, and it's possible that Magic isn't as bad as my experiences on other ships. But most reports that I see throughout cruisecritic seems to be in agreement with me on this in general.

I would keep the porthole room for now. A couple hundred is just way too much for me, to only be getting a bigger window & a less convenient location. Forward has convenience advantages: very quick off/on the ship in ports, 10 elevators instead of 4, theater so close. If the price were about the same, I might do it. If I were thinking that prices of them could continue to drop, & I wanted the aft facing room before it gets taken, then maybe I would roll the dice.

Edited by k2excursion