Statendam - take electric toothbrush or not?

mouseterd1

Mine does. In fact I like it better than the electric ones. I am allowed to say Oral B? (I hope so).

I like the Oral B I have, but each of us is different. I'd pick one up at a drugstore or grocery store and try it before your trip to see if it works for you. Some have replaceable batteries. Mine looks almost like a regular toothbrush and when the built in battery goes dead, I pitch it. So far, I've thrown them away before that because I wanted a new clean brush. I think they run at least a couple of months.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you both..I might try them..

'

There are two chargeable brands highly recommended by both my dentist and periodontist. One is the Phillips Sonicare (our personal favorite) which can be found at a discount in some stores like Costco. The other one are the higher end Oral B toothbrushes. Both are a bit pricy but they work well.

Hank

Thanks Hank, but I already have a rechargeable electric toothbrush.. Have had two of them for years.. On the long cruises I take two wands plus the charger..

My question was to find out if the Battery operated ones work just as well & is one brand better than the other.. If so, that's less for me to pack when we do a long cruise..

Edited by serendipity1499

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Hank, but I already have a rechargeable electric toothbrush.. Have had two of them for years.. On the long cruises I take two wands plus the charger..

My question was to find out if the Battery operated ones work just as well & is one brand better than the other.. If so, that's less for me to pack when we do a long cruise..

At home I use a SoniCare (or something like that spelling) and we had been taking that with a small travel charger on our cruises and vacations. It seemed to require recharging just once every week or two. We then purchased some of the Oral B Pulsar toothbrushes with the built-in batteries. These are designed to run about three months and then you throw them away. I personally like them as well as the larger, rechargeable toothbrushes, and will take two of them on every trip (even for RV trips). If something were to happen to the battery before it's time to throw it out and you don't have a spare, you could just use it as a regular toothbrush. I recommend getting one before your cruise and seeing how you like it, because each of us likes different things. I don't know how they're packaged in regular stores, but in Costco they come in packs of four, two red and two blue, so they work well for DH and me.

Trish

Personally I have had bad experience with battery operated toothbrushes. The weakness is the rubber gasket that allows water inside if not install properly. The gasket dries out over time.

Instead I splurge on the sealed battery toothbrushes where I don't have to deal with the gaskets and O rings.

We take our rechargeable Oral Bs. At home we have two charging bases because we have totally separate vanities. What's nice about our recharging bases is that you can easily pull out the recharging portion, it's designed specifically to do that, and only take one for cruises to share. I can't recall ever having a problem finding an outlet to recharge and since the charge lasts several days without being returned to the charger it's never been an issue to bring just one charger.

Pack light & keep it simple! Just ask your cabin steward for a loaner & leave it in the bathroom for the next folks on disembarking...

Had a big grin from this......not sure what loaner we're talking about but my brain immediately went to sharing a toothbrush. :eek::D The other smile is the notion of packing light....that does not translate in our household, those are mutually exclusive terms. :o

Randy, should it be a problem for you guys to share a loaner toothbrush... Simply write in at the bottom of the "fruit basket" form in your room, TWO loaner toothbrushes. That way you guys don't have to share & will always have a full basket of fruit. Cabin steward will also have a big toothy grin during the whole trip! Actually all the stewards in the hall will! Even if you really have to bring your own toothbrushes for the trip, hide them & have fun with the cabin guys! SPECIAL NOTE! Always leave the brushes wet when you leave the room!

Edited by barefootguy

I always take my re-chargeable toothbrush on cruises. Had a little incident though on one cruise. I charged it before packing it and for the first time didn't take the charger because we were only going to Alaska from our home port and back in 7 days. When our suitcase arrived in our cabin we couldn't figure out what the noise was so went out and had lunch before unpacking.

Well....to our surprise as I unpacked my suitcase the toothbrush was in full "brush your teeth" mode and unfortunately after a day or two it died and I couldn't re-charge it!:o Ended up being a manual toothbrush for the rest of the cruise. Sure brought a lot of laughs to us though and I learned a valuable lesson or two.:)

Our toothbrushes hold their charge for well over two weeks, and that's brushing at least 4 times a day. You might want to try yours to see how long a charge lasts. (Rechargeable batteries last longer if you don't keep them on the charger constantly anyway.)

I've always been told that the outlet in the bathroom is for electric shavers only. We always plug our sonicare into a plug in the desk area. Don't make the mistake I did with an older sonicare...... I brought a European plug and neglected to check if the device was dual voltage. It wasn't so I had to use my regular old toothbrush for 35 days. My husband had plugged into the regular outlet and had no problems. I now check every device first and use the European plug when I am able.

I've always been told that the outlet in the bathroom is for electric shavers only. We always plug our sonicare into a plug in the desk area. Don't make the mistake I did with an older sonicare...... I brought a European plug and neglected to check if the device was dual voltage. It wasn't so I had to use my regular old toothbrush for 35 days. My husband had plugged into the regular outlet and had no problems. I now check every device first and use the European plug when I am able.

What they really don't want plugged into the bathroom outlet are things like curling irons, hair dryers, or anything that pulls or needs a lot of watts/voltage. Typically chargers for camera batteries, electric toothbrushes, etc., are not going to stress the bathroom plug.

Edited by Randyk47