First Time with Holland America Westerdam Eastern Carribean

Suncoast

We are set to leave on Feb28th from Ft Lauderdale on the Westerdams Eastern Carribean Cruise. Myself my wife and our 18 year old daughter. Last year we did a Carnival Eastern Carribean Cruise, we found that there was always something to do on board with the DJ around the pool and the entertainment he provided. The food was OK nothing spectacular. This year we've booked with HA and are wondering what we can expect? I understand there won't be the same level of partying or atmosphere but I'm hoping that the Westerdam won't be too sedate, can anyone tell me what there is to do onboard during sea days? We aren't really into playing checkers in the crows nest and are hoping there will be some exciting things to do.

Exciting is a relevant term. I suggest you go to the Halfacts page and look for the daily newsletter of what is going on. There is always something going on. Bingo, quizzes, culinary demos, computer classes, etc.

No Lawrence welk,lol yes more modern music plays at the pools.

I love the food and that what brings me back.

Quieter cruise then some of the other cruise lines, but

that is what I enjoy. (some cruises lots of fun pps)

(some cruises a little quieter) all hit and miss. Enjoy!

Bingo? is there any music played at all around the pool during the day? Not the Lawrence Welk type stuff something more modern?

Um, do you know the demographics of the people who sail on 7 day HAL cruises ? Sounds like you're expecting passengers to be much older than what it is the norm.

Anyway, the midships Lido pool is usually very active and noisy with kids and teenagers. Depending on the ship's itinerary (sea days, port days) sometimes the live band will play poolside in the early afternoon, or during an outdoor deck party in the evening. They play a variety of songs ranging from the 60's to current titles.

The aft pool and bar is quieter (on purpose) and has contemporary music playing from the speakers.

Just curious, why did you choose Holland America ? There must have been something that enticed you. :)

Edited by Boatdrill

Um, do you know the demographics of the people who sail on 7 day HAL cruises ? Sounds like you're expecting passengers to be much older than what it is the norm.

Anyway, the midships Lido pool is usually very active and noisy with kids and teenagers. Depending on the ship's itinerary (sea days, port days) sometimes the live band will play poolside in the early afternoon, or during an outdoor deck party in the evening. They play a variety of songs ranging from the 60's to current titles.

The aft pool and bar is quieter (on purpose) and has contemporary music playing from the speakers.

Just curious, why did you choose Holland America ? There must have been something that enticed you. :)

Really??? That's great!!! I was expecting people similar to my inlaws in their 70's and 80's, they cruise on Princess all the time and tell us about the scooter traffic jams at Dinner.......We chose Holland America because I wasn't impressed by Carnival last year, I stayed on the Oosterdam for a month during the 2010 olympic games I was part of the security force. The ship was docked in Vancouver Harbour The food onboard was fantastic I'm hoping for the same on the Westerdam. Thats great news about the demographics!!!

We were on the Westerdam over Thanksgiving this past November. Younger demographic for sure and made even younger by the school break...lots of third and fourth passengers in cabins I think!

They had an amazing steel drummer on board then, her name is Opal and she really gave the midship pool deck area a festive happy atmosphere, far better (in my opinion) than daytime HALCat poolside concerts we've experienced on other itineraries :)

I like music without words when I'm chilling by the pool and trying to have the occasional conversation between chapters of a good book!

That said they did make the aft pool children free and kept the midship pool all ages...

Westerdam is a wonderful ship!

Carla

I think it will be very much like princess. I've done 7 day cruises and the only time you'll see tons of kids is on a school holiday. I just did b2b 7 day cruises in November. The first one there were very few kids. The second week was american thanksgiving and there were a lot of kids. I've never seen a ton of scooters on either line. Truth be told At 54 I'd rather be around a 74 year old then a 34 year old. Generally they are more interesting to talk to.

Edited by cruz chic

We were on the Westerdam over Thanksgiving this past November. Younger demographic for sure and made even younger by the school break...lots of third and fourth passengers in cabins I think!

They had an amazing steel drummer on board then, her name is Opal and she really gave the midship pool deck area a festive happy atmosphere, far better (in my opinion) than daytime HALCat poolside concerts we've experienced on other itineraries :)

I like music without words when I'm chilling by the pool and trying to have the occasional conversation between chapters of a good book!

That said they did make the aft pool children free and kept the midship pool all ages...

Westerdam is a wonderful ship!

Carla

Yes, thanksgiving is a whole lot different then most 7 day cruises.

We are set to leave on Feb28th from Ft Lauderdale on the Westerdams Eastern Carribean Cruise. Myself my wife and our 18 year old daughter. Last year we did a Carnival Eastern Carribean Cruise, we found that there was always something to do on board with the DJ around the pool and the entertainment he provided. The food was OK nothing spectacular. This year we've booked with HA and are wondering what we can expect? I understand there won't be the same level of partying or atmosphere but I'm hoping that the Westerdam won't be too sedate, can anyone tell me what there is to do onboard during sea days? We aren't really into playing checkers in the crows nest and are hoping there will be some exciting things to do.

Wife and I have been on the Westerdam, Eurodam and New Amsterdam, and I really believe you will enjoy the cruise. Besides the standard theater shows you also have a piano bar, Northern Lights disco, sports bar and new, the music of B.B. King. Also the Crows nest at night. have fun.

We'll be on the Westerdam 28th sailing.

While I am not looking for a belly flop or hairy chest contest, I know I will get what I want. Sun, relaxation and civility. I don't really recall a cruise with walkers or scooters in abundance but I work so I can't say I take longer cruises where that may be more noticeable.

Now I can't speak for everyone, we are in our 40's -70's but the pub crawl is fun. As is soaking up the sun. We just don't need garish ADD events to grab our attention or relentless paging. I have lost a couple of sea days because of the previous nights activities so I guess it is what you make of it.

This is important:

It just doesn't feel forced or pressured on HAL, you will have a good time if you want to.......and I feel safe.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a lot of exciting things to do try RCCL Oasis or Allure or another larger ship. We've done them all. Chose HAL this upcoming ( Feb 14 Westerdam) to assure I'm going to relax not be busy every minute ( including zip lining- I'm a lady in my mid 60's).

Edited by pamssanity

The steel drummers are great. They also hold a class for those who want to give it a try. In the midship pool area the ping pong tables are almost always going and there is a giant chess set for those that want it. "Westie" has a LOT of fans.

Just returned from the Eastern Caribbean on the Nieuw Amsterdam but the on board activities are very similar. Here are the On Locations (daily activities) we had:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=3819

To help you get acquainted with the Westerdam, here is a PDF tour of the ship:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1561

Here are all of the current Specialty Restaurant, Beverage, and Room Service (24/7) menus in PDF format:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=908

We have sailed the Westerdam a number of times in both Alaska and the Caribbean. Take advantage of make-your-own nachos at the Taco Bar next to the indoor pool. They bring the melted cheese at 2:00 PM.

The Microsoft classes are very informative and the instructors can answer any questions.

FWIW the rum cakes are cheaper in the Shops than on excursions.

Here is a link to the Main Dining Room and Lido Restaurant menus that we had in December. They should be very similar to what you will have:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=3787

Enjoy your cruise, take lots of pictures, and write a review so we can hear your opinions.

Just returned from the Eastern Caribbean on the Nieuw Amsterdam but the on board activities are very similar. Here are the On Locations (daily activities) we had:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=3819

To help you get acquainted with the Westerdam, here is a PDF tour of the ship:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1561

Here are all of the current Specialty Restaurant, Beverage, and Room Service (24/7) menus in PDF format:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=908

We have sailed the Westerdam a number of times in both Alaska and the Caribbean. Take advantage of make-your-own nachos at the Taco Bar next to the indoor pool. They bring the melted cheese at 2:00 PM.

The Microsoft classes are very informative and the instructors can answer any questions.

FWIW the rum cakes are cheaper in the Shops than on excursions.

Here is a link to the Main Dining Room and Lido Restaurant menus that we had in December. They should be very similar to what you will have:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=3787

Enjoy your cruise, take lots of pictures, and write a review so we can hear your opinions.

Thank you for providing information and LINKS. Both are so helpful to cruiser inquires. You also have some GREAT photos on your site.

In case it is of help and in case you missed the sticky at the top of the page, there is also a website - http://www.halfacts.com - created by Cruise Critic members thanks to Cruise Critic members who have been on the ships.

You can click on Vista class and see cabins, comments, dining room layouts, pictures of public areas, etc.

If you click on the General Info tab, you will find lots of information from Menus, Beverage Menus, On Locations, and many other things to numerous to mention - hope it helps as well:D enjoy your cruise:)

I sailed the Eurodam with teens (age 15 & 17) a while back and we had a great cruise. However we found the entertainment to not be to our preference. The HALCats played standards of the 60's and 70's... the production shows had performers that were much better than the material with which they were provided. As adults were were also on the young side of the passenger demographic, which appeared to be 60+. (We were in our late 40's at the time.) There were probably less than 100 kids on board this particular spring break cruise.

Where HAL excelled for us was with dining and just a less frenetic atmosphere. As somewhat frequent cruisers, we knew what we were getting into with HAL so I didn't go into it expecting to be 'wow-ed' every minute I was on the ship.

What we really enjoyed about the HAL cruise:

(1)The Explorations Lounge in the very front of the ship. I've been on a lot of cruise ships and I find this to be the best use of space on a cruise ship. Most cruise lines put their fitness center up there, but kudos to HAL for making it something for all guests to enjoy. There was a guitar player in there who was really good. Did not pain me to listen.

(2) Dining was decent and the room service menus are good.

(3) The Eurodam was awesome and we booked a cabana. Unfortunately its not available on the Westerdam so its off to Explorations for us.

(4) Not being nickel and dimed to death. We did Pinnacle Grill and found it to be excellent, and we'll probably go there again.

(5) A more laid back feel and not lots of announcements.

(6) Laundry package. I won't book a cruise without self laundry or a reasonable package. (So NCL and RCI are out for me as the laundry option for non-suites is not 'reasonable.')

(7) A well mannered passenger mix (for the most part.)

(8) Beautiful ship.

I am booked for the Westerdam at the end of March with an 18 y/o and while we won't have the production shows of the Carnival Breeze (which I just left last week) nor the bells and whistles of RCI (no rock wall or ice rink), what I'm expecting is just a decent floating hotel to take me to different places each day. While I would rather be on Princess or Disney, it won't work for this particular trip due to air schedule (Darn those spring break prices!). So I'll be on the Westerdam and will adjust to the slower pace because I know to expect it and won't complain.

We will be joining your on the Westerdam next month- too bad our roll call is almost non existent! Our 20 year old nanny will be thrilled to hear there is someone close to her age. The last HAL cruise we took her on she was the only guest between 18-30. Some of the BB King guys, room service guys etc took a liking to her- little too strong for all of our tastes. Just wanted to give you a heads up about this as we did not expect that to happen.