Southampton R/T Paris

puli

We will be cruising R/T Southampton on Princess this May and plan to go to Paris for 4 days following the cruise before flying back to the USA. Since we cannot change our plane tickets we must depart from Heathrow.

What would be the easiest way to get to St Pancras to catch the Eurostar? (husband really wants to ride that train so flying to Paris from Heathrow is not an option).

Also I read somewhere about booking the R/T train fare from Southampton to Paris but this seems too confusing requiring multiple train stations.

We are elderly so ease of travel is more important than cost (unless cost is extreme).

Is it feasible to take a cab from the cruise pier to St. Pancras and upon the return from St Pancras to Heathrow?

And most importantly , How much time should I allow for us to get to the Eurostar...i.e. what time should I pick for our departure..., would 12:30 PM allow us enough time to disembark and reach the station in London?

If it works for you, this is what I'd do.

Fly Southampton to Paris http://www.flybe.com/cheap-flights/paris/ . For a Saturday in May, its only £40 each.

This is a budget airline, so check the baggage allowance and charges. Southampton airport is only about 20 mins from the port by cab and is much quieter than LHR, so check in etc will be much quicker. By the time you are in Paris, you would just about have got to St Pancras!

Do your thing in Paris and come back on the Eurostar. Book as soon as you can. Its cheaper the earlier you book.

Getting from St Pancras to LHR is a bit of a pain. You could of course get a cab all the way (probably pushing £100) or use a car service (sorry, not sure of the best in London). Other alternative is to get a cab to Paddington station and use the Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect trains to LHR. Heathrow Express is about £15 each I think. Both take you right to the terminals.

Let us know if this is a no go option and we can discuss the trip to St Pancras from Southampton. Easiest is train from Southampton Central to London Waterloo, then a cab across town to St Pancras.

We can discuss details when you choose how you want to go.

Simon

Edited by sddsddean

St Pancras to LHR is easy - a bit of a walk from St Pancras International to the Piccadilly line (flat with escalators/lift) and then sit on it to Heathrow. If your going to spend £100+ on a cab I'll come and shift your luggage for you for £50!;)

We will be cruising R/T Southampton on Princess this May and plan to go to Paris for 4 days following the cruise before flying back to the USA. Since we cannot change our plane tickets we must depart from Heathrow.

What would be the easiest way to get to St Pancras to catch the Eurostar? (husband really wants to ride that train so flying to Paris from Heathrow is not an option).

Also I read somewhere about booking the R/T train fare from Southampton to Paris but this seems too confusing requiring multiple train stations.

We are elderly so ease of travel is more important than cost (unless cost is extreme).

Is it feasible to take a cab from the cruise pier to St. Pancras and upon the return from St Pancras to Heathrow?

And most importantly , How much time should I allow for us to get to the Eurostar...i.e. what time should I pick for our departure..., would 12:30 PM allow us enough time to disembark and reach the station in London?

We live near Southampton and as you do not want to fly to Paris a taxi to St. Pancras ,if you are elderly would be best and would cost about 100£ .I am not sure how you get to Heathrow from St. Pancras you could get taxi I do not know cost or there is train to Heathrow but I do not know where you pick it up - google would tell you

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I did think of the tube Steve, but couldn't remember if it was step free at the St Pancras end...I know it is at the LHR end...and its only about £5 or £6 to LHR!

Simon

Might need a detour or two to find the lifts but I recall it as flat. Just adding options for OP's consideration.

All good advice above but if you're looking for the easiest way to do this, try going to www.smithsforairports.com

We use them everytime we're in England...which is nearly every year. We use them from the dock to St Pancras (maybe 110 pounds sterling) and back again.

Of course they go to the airport as well. Just to show you how much we use them, we took them from Southampton to Dover and back when we were changing cruises. Also from Bath to Southampton another time.

They provide free estimates on their website, and stick to them. It's worth a look see to have a hassle free trip to and from London.

Puli,

You can do this.

Catch a taxi to the National Express Coach Station 5GBP

Catch the National Express Bus from Southampton to Victoria Station 7GBP. Then catch a taxi to St Pancras - about 10 GBP. You need to arrive 45 mins before departure (I can't check that cos their website is down atm but it's about that.

On the return trip you get into St Pancras station and walk around to Kings Cross Station. Catch the lift down to the right level. There are maps on the web and I can give you detailed instructions if you choose this method. Catch the Piccadilly line (the blue line on the tube maps) directly to Heathrow.

You will be fine. It is cheap and easy.

Make sure you book your eurostar trip soon. They are open through to July now. The sooner you book the cheaper the tickets are. They start at 34.50GBP one way.

Edited by paddingtonbear

I have asked others the question about timing.

Most say you will be able to catch the 8:20 National Express Bus from Southampton arrives Victoria Coach Station 10:50 but if you want to take your time disembarking catch the 9:30 coach arrives 11:50.

The 8:20 gets in at 10:50 add 15 mins to get to the street and catch a taxi to St Pancras.

Add 15 mins to find the station and platform. Add 45 mins designated pre departure arrival time. So if you caught that bus and all goes well you should make a 12:30 Eurostar departure.

We are doing a similar thing but are allowing a bit of time at St Pancras to buy some food for the trip and for unforeseen circumstances.

Edited by paddingtonbear

Thanks everyone!!!! so much to think about.....I have contacted 2 taxi/transport companies and have also checked out flying from Southampton in case my husband agrees to do so.

every option has positives and negatives.....if I can contract with a transportation company to take us to and fro for a reasonable price that will be the easiest. With 3 separate locations/trips I am almost overwhelmed with all the details!

My hope is we do not have to use multiple forms of transportation and can save our energy for more pleasant endeavors.

Thanks again...I will keep you posted.

For what it's worth, I don't think I could cope with luggage on busses and tube these days, so if it was me, I would fly from Southampton to Paris and do the return with Eurostar. Just bear in mind that some flights go to Paris Orly, which is a bit further out than De Gaulle.

Taxi to Southampton Airport, Taxi to Paris Hotel and then to Paris Gare du Nord for the train to St Pancras. Then a taxi from there to Heathrow.

As I said we live near Southampton and as you said you are elderly I would not like to have to carry suitcases on buses etc.If the quotes are not acceptable please let me know as we always use a local man who is reasonable and uses a new Mercedes .My e-mail is stuartlake@btinternet.com

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I must admit that never having done this type of planning I am a bit confused ...but when I checked the Southampton airport since we are going on Saturday 30 May the only flight I could find was at 7 something and only to Orly....that time would not work whether 7 AM or 7 PM.

and as far as busses, tubes etc. I agree with Bob++ we are too old and klutzy to deal with all of that.

I think we will go with Cruise NH's Smithsforairports....their quote was reasonable @ 60 pounds.

my new question for you wonderful consultants is being in our 70's won't we qualify for the Senior citizen rate any day so must we pre purchase our tickets? If that is best would we be able to make a 11:30 or 12:30 train? ( whichever is the earliest one the that has a senior rate) I do not want to rush things but would like to be in Paris early enough to enjoy some of the day.

I just checked through kayak and only flight is 0710, so thats no good! Ok, if you are going with Smiths for Airports, thats no problem and £60 is a good price. I just checked Eurostar site for 30th May and whether you go as an adult or a senior, its the same price(!), but use the 'Senior' box just in case. Check with Smiths, but I think you should make the 1131 train, unless you want to have a bit of wiggle room and go for 1201. Remember, you have to check in at least 30mins before departure.

Simon

Yes, I agree the 12:01 makes me feel a bit easier....I was off on the price it is 70 pounds but that still beats other quotes. I am hoping they can also take us from Heathrow to our rented flat in London and again from our flat to the cruise ship in Southampton as well as to and from St. Pancras. Perhaps they even give a multiple trip discount!

unfortunately it looks like the earliest reduced fare time I can book is 13:31 ($54) and on the return the 12:40 for the same price ..Senior rate is $2.00 's cheaper than sale rate..

so we will have plenty of time at the rail station to go through customs etc. and get lunch!

Remember, you have to check in at least 30mins before departure.

Simon

With the heightened security we have to live with these troubled days, I would allow an hour. You will need to have your passports handy too.

Just to mention, while we use GBP, the French use Euros. I suggest that you get just enough GBPs to pay the fare (Eurostar will be a CC) and a few Euros for a taxi in Paris.

Edited by Bob++

Well, Eurostar tickets are purchased. now must decide between transport companies...have received 2 bids.....both fairly similar...Smith and M and P company...trying to view reviews now.

Thanks to all of you !!!!

And if anyone has a "must see" in London we would love to hear about it. I have not been there since 1970 and my husband never. Our flat is near the Tower Bridge and we will be there for a week.

We do want to see Oxford and the Cotswold area so a day trip is on the drawing board.. would like to wait until we get to London so we can pick a good weather day. My husband is a WWII and art museum buff so he is exploring those interests. I want to visit all the "Royal "sites so we plan to do as much as possible. Paris is another duplicate journey!.

We will be absolutely broke when we get home but this will truly be the trip of a lifetime!!!

If your husband is a WW2 buff, you have got to go to HMS Belfast, which is moored just upstream from Tower Bridge, and I would heartily recommend the Imperial War Museum. For something a bit different, take a river cruise to Greenwich (which is where I grew up). The clipper ship Cutty Sark is in drydock there and has just been revamped. She is suspended above the floor of the dock and you can walk right under her. While there, you can visit the National Maritime Museum and get a taxi up the hill to the Royal Obsevatory. Lots to do if its a nice day!

Simon

Remember, you have to check in at least 30mins before departure.
With the heightened security we have to live with these troubled days, I would allow an hour.
Don't stress about the 30-minute check-in. It's good if you are there at least 30 minutes before departure, but it's not a problem if you're a little late.

With the heightened security we have to live with these troubled days, I would allow an hour. You will need to have your passports handy too.

Just to mention, while we use GBP, the French use Euros. I suggest that you get just enough GBPs to pay the fare (Eurostar will be a CC) and a few Euros for a taxi in Paris.

and to top it off we are going on a cruise to Copenhagen, Oslo etc. in between London and Paris so we will practically be an international mini bank!

For a WW2 buff the Cabinet War Rooms with the Churchill museum has to be on the bucket list (and it is a short walk from Buckingham Palace as well).

Already on our bucket list as is the Imperial War Museum!

and to top it off we are going on a cruise to Copenhagen, Oslo etc. in between London and Paris so we will practically be an international mini bank!

Use ATMs to draw small amounts of local currency to buy coffee or pay for taxis. Pay for as much as you can by credit card.

You are obviously aware that neither Norway or Denmark are in the Euro zone.