Iceland Mini-review aboard Brilliance TA 2014

DragonoftheSeas, thanks for both, your answer to the water shoes and to the great pics you are sharing . We had planned on a cruise that stopped in Iceland, but have decided to do a land selftour instead, just so much to see.

No, he did not. . . . and now that you mention it, I noticed his summer house does too.

If you have a church on your property, your whole property is property tax-free!

That's why there are so many churches in Iceland!

DragonoftheSeas, thanks for both, your answer to the water shoes and to the great pics you are sharing . We had planned on a cruise that stopped in Iceland, but have decided to do a land selftour instead, just so much to see.

And you need such large shoes that they wouldn't have your size if you wanted to hire them. Should have done the cruise and the land tour Circman.:D

I'd also like to thank you for your review and pictures. We are heading to the Faroe Islands and Iceland on Ocean Princess in July and appreciate all the tips regarding shopping, currency and credit cards.

THIS IS NOT ICELAND. I know this is off topic--but, I thought AlmadenCruisers might like to see a couple of pictures from the Faroe Islands.

You can see that the landscape is the opposite of Iceland. It is a good study in contrast.

We loved the fjords as we entered the harbor.

10665737_652971818135141_1439337879282705572_n.jpg

The one word to describe the Faroe Islands is GREEN. Many houses had grass on the roof. You can see how open most of the land was.

10958_652971844801805_7362511006989425275_n.jpg

We saw really beautiful scenery.

10672414_652971901468466_4421630638070192006_n.jpg

We had a VERY nice tour here. Someone on our CC roll call organized a special tour. We had 12 in a van. He got the tour guide to combine 2 of the typical tours. [usually you only have time for one of these] We agreed to not take a lunch break. [i bought some food in a little store we stopped in for a restroom break.]

If you look at a map of the Faroe Islands you can find these places and see that we pretty much covered the islands. :D

FYI--this was the description from GreenGate:

A combination of "Northern Eysturoy and Gjogv" and "Visit Vagar - Panoramic Tour" gives a good impression of our islands and the best view of our landscape. It will take approx. 5½-6 hours depending upon how long you spend at each stop. If the weather is good you will probably want to stay longer both in Gjogv and in Vagar. With 6 hours you should have a good tour.

Visit Vágar – Panoramic Tour:

Drive ... over the "Bridge over the Atlantic" - the bridge connecting Eysturoy and Streymoy and further along the coast to Leynar village and through the new 4,9 km long tunnel under the Vestmanna Sound to the island of Vágar. Visit the village of Sandavág and the village church, Miðvág, Sørvág, Bø and Gásadalur, the last village to get road connection. Enjoy the fantastic view of Tindhólm and Mykines.

Northern Eysturoy and Gjógv:

By bus to Eysturoy via the subtunnel. Drive along Skálafjord, the longest fjord in the Faroe Islands and continue along Funningsfjord and pass the village Funningur where the first Viking stepped ashore. Continue to the village Gjógv with its natural harbour that has given name to the village. Gjógv means gorge. Walk along the gorge where you might see a few puffins. After a visit in the village church you drive pass the highest mountain in the Faroe Islands "Slættaratindur", 882 m. Next a photostop viewing the free standing cliffs "The Giant and the Hag". Pass the village Eiði and south on the west side of Eysturoy. On the way you see the "bridge over the Atlantic" - the bridge connecting Eysturoy and Streymoy.

And you need such large shoes that they wouldn't have your size if you wanted to hire them. Should have done the cruise and the land tour Circman.:D

Mic, I have my own, thank you very much ! This way, we will have 10 /14 days to enjoy the country without you.

Fellow CC'ers, Mic & I know each other, the 4 of had the great pleasure of meeting on a cruise to his homeland, LaLaland.

Mic, I have my own, thank you very much ! This way, we will have 10 /14 days to enjoy the country without you.

Fellow CC'ers, Mic & I know each other, the 4 of had the great pleasure of meeting on a cruise to his homeland, LaLaland.

Yes, we know each other. After 30 days at sea across the pacific from the US to Australia, we should. A wonderful cruise and it is a shame you guys pulled out of this one. :D

Can't thank you enough for your review and pictures. Husband and I have a Baltic cruise scheduled for June and will be stopping in Iceland for 2 nights on our way to Copenhagen. We're renting a car and hoping to do a self-drive tour and see some of the incredible sights. Really appreciate you taking the time to post and review.

Best wishes!

Can't thank you enough for your review and pictures. Husband and I have a Baltic cruise scheduled for June and will be stopping in Iceland for 2 nights on our way to Copenhagen. We're renting a car and hoping to do a self-drive tour and see some of the incredible sights. Really appreciate you taking the time to post and review.

Best wishes!

There are not that many roads. I would think it is easy to drive the routes.

DragonofTheSeas, Thank you very much for the photos. We will be joining another CC couple on a tour that I believe is with GreenGate that sounds similar to the tour you did. Your comments and photos convince me more than ever that we've made a good choice. Thanks again for sharing.

thanks for the review... We are going to Norway/Iceland in June, so great to see the pictures. We are also taking a week before hand to visit Paris/London. So have seen your comments on those areas too. All very helpful!!

Thanks so much for your great review and photos! My daughter and I will be in Iceland following our Baltic cruise in May. I think you mentioned that you would not choose the same tour operator if you had to do it again. What was the name of the tour company and why didn't you like them? I am in the process of researching tours, so any insight you could provide would be really appreciated. Thanks!

CharlieDog4-- We used 2 different companies. We really liked the company on the second day--GeoIceland. It was Gti--Gateway to iceland tours that we did not.

You can find my review here. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...al_Region.html

Thanks for the info. I have been reading good things about GeoIceland. I ended up booking a private tour with Gunnsi from Season Tours. He has lots of positive reviews on Tripadvisor regarding how personable he is in addition to being informative. Fingers crossed! :)

DoTS: Link doesn't work (although I've enjoyed your posts at TI very much). Cruisecritic does like to ruin links to other sites much of the time.

Sorry the link does not work. :confused:

Thanks for the info. I have been reading good things about GeoIceland. I ended up booking a private tour with Gunnsi from Season Tours. He has lots of positive reviews on Tripadvisor regarding how personable he is in addition to being informative. Fingers crossed! :)

I am sure you will have a good tour. Have fun!

thank you so much for your review. pics are fab, we were there for a few days about 10 years ago, we are doing a ta in sept stopping in Iceland cant wait to go again. did the blue lagoon then and will def do it again. we were there end of oct time, water was lovely like a bath , then it started to hailstone so our bodies were warm and heads freezing lol. my DH loves to tell this story lol. thanks for Faroe pics too. we have not yet looked into excursions so thanks for recommendations

Marie