Cabin assignments for "guarantee" cabins

jbobst

Just found out this afternoon my cabin assignment for my Feb 10 cruise. We went from an IC to an IB. Not much of an upgrade but that is ok. It is on Baja deck and has cabins above but below shows empty space. Don't know what is in that!:eek::eek:

Does Princess ever change your GTY cabin once they assign it? Is it possible that over the next 19 days we will be changed?

It is on Baja deck and has cabins above but below shows empty space. Don't know what is in that!:eek::eek:

My travel agent always assures me that is the place for the drummers to practice in the middle of the night. :eek:

So far, he has been wrong. :)

I have used one travel agent for years. And no, he did not accept an upgrade on my behalf for either cruise.

He was just as surprised as we were to hear we were upgraded on our reservations marked "no upgrades."

Not at all what I was implying, however TA's have been known not to mark a booking properly also, even the best. Just one more link in the chain.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

My travel agent always assures me that is the place for the drummers to practice in the middle of the night. :eek:

So far, he has been wrong. :)

:D:D:D I did a search and found two reviews. One person was in the same cabin that I will be in. Their review never mentioned anything about the cabin other than that was what they had so I guess it was fine. The other review was just 3 cabins down and they said it was quiet. I told my dh that even though I didn't expect to be upgraded it would have been nice if we were one of those people who got a big upgrade and got a balcony (never had one). He laughed at that. I told him to be prepared to be in a closet. At least the next cruise which is a few days later will be in a Window Suite. PLENTY of room there!!

BTW Homosassa - I don't know if you noticed but we are from the same place although I bet you are currently down in Florida enjoying the warmer weather!

Just found out this afternoon my cabin assignment for my Feb 10 cruise. We went from an IC to an IB. Not much of an upgrade but that is ok. It is on Baja deck and has cabins above but below shows empty space. Don't know what is in that!:eek::eek:

Does Princess ever change your GTY cabin once they assign it? Is it possible that over the next 19 days we will be changed?

It's highly likely that you'll be sailing in this cabin. It's very rare to be assigned a cabin so close to sailing and then upgraded. Could it happen? Sure... but I wouldn't hold my breath...

Yes, it is. It has two very large windows and is a huge cabin. I've been on the Golden and CB. Now I'll be on the Grand. They are the only 3 ships with them. You feel like you are in a nice hotel room. Plenty of storage and a really nice bathroom. Full suite amenities for the cost of a high end balcony or a lower priced mini suite. We have never had a balcony before so to us we don't miss it.

Last year we were assigned GTY cabin a month out of the sail date. When we checked in we had been upgraded again and did not know till then. Our luggage actually went to the wrong cabin and I had to run it down.

We are just about to sign up for our fourth cruise and in each case have chosen a BE balcony. ( I don't know if BE is the same on all ships ). On current booking, Oct 2015 Grand Med on Island, I see 'Reserve - cabin will be assigned ----' for some categories. Is this the same as GTY ? Yes.

On another note, possibly a topic for a separate thread, I did not see a big cost difference between 'Reserved' and specific cabin assignments. Not clear to me that GTY is worth taking a chance on being disappointed. For the same cabin category (BZ, for example) the pricing is the same if you pick a specific cabin or get a GTY. The only time a GTY would save you money is if the category you want has no cabins available for you to select and if you want to select one, must go to a higher priced category.

Is there a difference in cost between say GTY Inside and a Specific Inside ? Not within the same category (example, category IC)

see above in red

If you do select a specific cabin, unless you have the reservation marked "will not accept upgrade," then you might be upgraded to a higher category and might be disappointed. In effect, if you do not have it marked "will not accept upgrade," it is not that much different from a GTY.

We also got our cabin assignment today (looks like a few others on Cruise Critic had theirs assigned today too). We had a guarantee obstructed ocean view, and they ended up putting us on Plaza deck in a regular non obstructed oceanview. There still are a bunch of balcony and mini suite cabins available (as well as interior and ocean view rooms). We are 19 days from sailing...wondering if the ship won't be as full as it was last October when we sailed on the Crowne. That would be nice, but it seems like everyone says they always end up sailing close to full capacity. Of course a 4 day cruise starting on Tuesday isn't ideal for most people so maybe that is why it's not selling very well so far.

We also got our cabin assignment today (looks like a few others on Cruise Critic had theirs assigned today too). We had a guarantee obstructed ocean view, and they ended up putting us on Plaza deck in a regular non obstructed oceanview. There still are a bunch of balcony and mini suite cabins available (as well as interior and ocean view rooms). We are 19 days from sailing...wondering if the ship won't be as full as it was last October when we sailed on the Crowne. That would be nice, but it seems like everyone says they always end up sailing close to full capacity. Of course a 4 day cruise starting on Tuesday isn't ideal for most people so maybe that is why it's not selling very well so far.

Glad to hear that your wait is over and that you have a full view cabin.

We have booked guarantee on 2 of our 4 Princess cruises. The first time we received our assignment 10 days before sailing - that was on the Pacific Princess and the number of possibilities were limited so we actually ended up in a cabin we had hoped to be in. For our upcoming cruise, the assignment came a few days after final payment and we got a BC balcony after booking a BZ obstructed view balcony. It's a great assignment at a great savings and we can't wait to experience the Panama Canal!

Enjoy your cruise.

:D

Still waiting...four days away from embarkation (3 days till I fly out). Others on our roll call don't have their assignments yet either. Sure hope the person who works cabin assignments for us isn't out sick or on vacation and someone forgot to cover for them :eek:. If I end up sleeping on a lounger on deck with my luggage underneath, I hope I don't get accused of being a chair hog! (All kinds of crazy scenarios going through my mind...lol.)

I booked a Princess cruise on a whim, I know I have a balcony room. So, what is the "F" in "guar/BF"? I surely do not need a guaranteed boyfriend, as I have a perfectly serviceable husband.

Feel like I'm back in the Navy learning all new acronyms!

I booked a Princess cruise on a whim, I know I have a balcony room. So, what is the "F" in "guar/BF"? I surely do not need a guaranteed boyfriend, as I have a perfectly serviceable husband.

Feel like I'm back in the Navy learning all new acronyms!

Princess has many categories of Balcony cabins (it can vary on each ship) usually the best deck, most central balconies are category BA, next best, BB, BC etc. BF is the lowest balcony category and on many ships there are only a few balcony cabins in the BF category (you can google deck plans for your ship to see the various cabins).

BF just means that your minimum cabin will be category BF, but you may be assigned any balcony cabin, so you may get assigned a BA or BB.

As to guaranteed "Boyfriend (BF)....guess that's a whole different type of cruise!

BTW Homosassa - I don't know if you noticed but we are from the same place although I bet you are currently down in Florida enjoying the warmer weather!

We permanently moved to Homosassa when I retired in 2006. However, my daughter is till in Columbia and we are frequently back up in the area.

From your user name, I will make a guess you are in King's Contrivance. We are from Wilde Lake.

We permanently moved to Homosassa when I retired in 2006. However, my daughter is till in Columbia and we are frequently back up in the area.

From your user name, I will make a guess you are in King's Contrivance. We are from Wilde Lake.

You got it!