Considering Mexican Riviera Nov.26th on Sapphire

Handsome1975

Has anyone sailed on the Sapphire to the Mixican Riviera before? I have researched the ship and it looks very nice and large. I have only sailed once before on RCCL's Navigator of the Seas and loved it very much!!

I am curious to know, from LAX is it worth it to take the transfers from Princess to the ship. Also, if we decide to stay in LA for a few more days, can you rent a car at the port in San Pedro or should we take the transfer back to LAX to rent a car there???

Thanks for your help ...

Only Enterprise has a rental office in San Pedro, and it is several blocks from the pier. It would be easier if you are renting after the cruise to take a cab or SuperShuttle to Long Beach airport (closer than LAX) and rent there.

Hi...Maybe you can make flight arrangements to fly into Long Beach...it is closer to the cruise terminal than LAX and not as congested. We are booked on this cruise to the Mexican Riviera. Have read some wonderful post about the ship and we are looking forward to being on the Sapphire Princess. Hope you will join us...

Thanks for your replies - very helpful thus far!

We would probably be flying into LAX since we can get direct flights from our hometown there instead of Long Beach.

Does anyone know how much the 'super shuttle' would be from LAX and how do you find it - or is it just outside of the baggage claim? I will know in the next 2 weeks what we are planning on doing.

What is the weather like this time of year for the Mexican sailing out of LA (last week of November - first week of December) ??

Looking forward to more tips thus far ...

Does anyone know how much the 'super shuttle' would be from LAX and how do you find it - or is it just outside of the baggage claim?

There's another thread with the info you're looking for. From what I remember Super Shuttle is $16 pp for LAX to San pedro, $17 pp from LAX to Long Beach. I'm sure it won't be hard to find their vans, they're bound to be in the cab area.

We'll be taking Super Shuttle from LAX to Long Beach for our one night pre-cruise stay. And then, I guess, a cab the next morning from Long Beach to the ship terminal in San Pedro.

We have the Sapphire booked for March 11. We sailed the Star on this destination in March, 2003, the weather was great. We are hoping the same for this trip.

We used SuperShuttle for LAX to the ship and back, and plan on using it this time.

Right now we have 5 cabins booked, with more friends and family members that plan to book, which will make us 9 cabins total.

We have a cabin on hold for the November 26th sailing on the Sapphire from LA to the Mexican Riviera. Right now we're in the category BF (balcony) and on the wait list for a mini-suite (and there's 5 people ahead of us). Can someone tell me if a mini-suite comes up ... I think the price difference would be $600, is that amount worth it????

Thanks for your help ...

Do not take Princess transfers. It takes too long and is more costly than either the supershuttle or a taxi. If you wish to rent a car, reserve one in advance. They seem hard to get. Not sure where the rental outlets are located however there is a large board and a phone in the terminal that connects to several of the major rental companies. We didn't reserve ahead and tried to get one upon disembarkation only to find there were none left. Good luck.

If we do go on this sailing I think we're going to take the transfers from LAX (since we fly into LAX the morning of the sailing) to the ship on the day of sailing and then take the transfer back to LAX and get a car rental at the airport and stay a few days in LA.

I'm also onboard the Sapphire for this sailing. I've cruised the "Voyager" class ships a couple of times---but never a "large" Princess ship. I can tell you that the Sapphire won't have the large promenade featured on the Navigator, but it seems like the Sapphire is a pretty big ship.

I usually don't sail Princess...but thought what the heck! I truly believe there's no such thing as a bad cruise!!! Come and join us in November!! :)

I'm also onboard the Sapphire for this sailing. I've cruised the "Voyager" class ships a couple of times---but never a "large" Princess ship. I can tell you that the Sapphire won't have the large promenade featured on the Navigator, but it seems like the Sapphire is a pretty big ship.

I usually don't sail Princess...but thought what the heck! I truly believe there's no such thing as a bad cruise!!! Come and join us in November!! :)

I don't think you will be disappointed. I am also on this cruise and I've been on the Diamond, sister to the Sapphire. Loved the ship; it's absolutely beautiful.

Great to hear there are others on this sailing. I was just looking at some pictures from the Sapphire last year at the end of November and some of the pictures had the ship decked out in x-mas decorations. I wonder if this sailing will have x-mas decorations since it's the sailing right after Thanksgiving.

If we do go on this sailing I think we're going to take the transfers from LAX (since we fly into LAX the morning of the sailing) to the ship on the day of sailing and then take the transfer back to LAX and get a car rental at the airport and stay a few days in LA.
There’s been some other advice here not to take the Princess transfers, but I would disagree. We flew into LAX for our Island Princess cruise and took the transfers from the airport to the pier. We did have to wait a bit at the airport, but it was no longer than 30 minutes (our flight did arrive early and so they weren't ready for us yet) and we were on the bus and on our way. We arrived at the airport at about 11:00 and were at the pier no later than 1:00 – and were still some of the first to board the ship (travel time was about 45 minutes). Best of all, our luggage was handled from the bus at the airport to our staterooms – no messing with porters or lugging luggage. The Princess transfer is priced within the range of other transportation means. I think it is a good deal.

If your party is at least 4 go with Super Shuttle. 1/2 the cost of the transfers and much quicker. They load your luggage and drop you off right where the porters are at the terminal. We have done it twice and it worked great.

You can take exclusive use for 4 for about 65- 70 dollars. No waiting......just too darn easy.

There’s been some other advice here not to take the Princess transfers, but I would disagree. We flew into LAX for our Island Princess cruise and took the transfers from the airport to the pier. We did have to wait a bit at the airport, but it was no longer than 30 minutes (our flight did arrive early and so they weren't ready for us yet) and we were on the bus and on our way. We arrived at the airport at about 11:00 and were at the pier no later than 1:00 – and were still some of the first to board the ship (travel time was about 45 minutes). Best of all, our luggage was handled from the bus at the airport to our staterooms – no messing with porters or lugging luggage. The Princess transfer is priced within the range of other transportation means. I think it is a good deal.

Thank you for the great advise, Bdjam. I wasn't going to take the Princess transfers, but maybe I will do that since they handle luggage from airport to stateroom. Sounds much easier than dealing with porter and extra lines. Do they have certain times that they pick up. I am going in the day before, but I am staying at an airport hotel and can hop the shuttle back to the airport the next day at any time.

Archived