Thinking of Private Tour - thoughts on tour vendors?

TerReuv

We are thinking of doing a private tour for 4 adults (2 in their mid 50's and two in late 70's). All fairly mobile. I have researched a lot and have come across several that have good reviews on Trip Advisor. However, I know those are not always legit. Has anyone had any experience with any of the following for a private tour?

Bernards

Jo Junie

Joyce Prince

Amigo

Friendly Island Tours

All are between $300 - $370 for a group of 4 for a private tour. Seems high, but not too bad considering we plan it ourselves. We will be in port from 9-6 and there will only be one other ship there. Has anyone had any experience with the tour vendors above and if so, have you ever tried to negotiate a better price?

Thanks for any and all responses.

We have been on tours with Bernard and with Joyce.

For just four people, of those two choices I would definitely pick Joyce.

Note that it is just Joyce (Hanley-Prince) (with one backup driver if needed), not someone with a fleet like Bernard, so she books up well in advance.

Check with her for your dates to see if she is even available.

gary

We just got back Sunday from our cruise and we used Viator/Amigo Tours in St. Martin. They were fabulous! The driver even provided cold drinks, beer and rum punch any time we wanted during the tour! Highly recommend using them! Check them out!

:cool:Bill

We did a tour with Joyce last year and it was great. I would highly recommend her. She offered suggestions and worked with me to deal with my Mom's mobility issues.

She took us all over the island and answered all of our questions. We ate lunch at a great seafood restaurant in Marigot.

Three of my family just returned from their cruise and stop in St. Maarten. Their roll call on cruise critic was booking a group tour with Bernards so they joined it. On Bernard's website it was group tour 2. They said they had a great tour. We are going to St. Maarten's in July so I hope our roll call group may decide on a similar tour as I have been to St. Maarten's before but never toured the island. Another thing to do on the main street is to go visit the shop of the Yoda Guy if anyone in your group is in to Star Wars.

I'm also looking for a great tour guide. I usually book with the ship but this time we plan to book directly with a company, I'm a bit nervous. In my group we are a group of 8-- four adults and four children. Any suggestions??

We have used Bernards Tours many times for private touring and we were always very pleased with their service. Would book them again in a heartbeat, which we just may do again in April.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147346-d1840452-Reviews-Bernard_s_Tours-St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

http://www.bernardstours.com/

To know that eases my nerves lol. When I was looking on bernards tour website I came accross the FQA- I saw that orient bay is a nude beach. With a 11 year old boy concerns me a great deal-yikes. How was your experience with Orient Bay? How far in advance did you book. This will be my first time to St Maarten and I just want to make it perfect.

To know that eases my nerves lol. When I was looking on bernards tour website I came accross the FQA- I saw that orient bay is a nude beach. With a 11 year old boy concerns me a great deal-yikes. How was your experience with Orient Bay? How far in advance did you book. This will be my first time to St Maarten and I just want to make it perfect.

Club Orient, which is a clothing optional beach is much further down on Orient Beach than where Bernard's tour drops you off. You may see some topless bathers anywhere along Orient Beach, we saw one. My experience on Orient last week was great, seas were calm, very little seaweed on beach and in water, sun was shinning, beach bar had food and drinks, hubby was by my side, what more can I ask for.

You can book Bernard's anytime, we usually book a month in advance, sometimes a week or two.

Tour 1 has less time on Orient Beach approx. 20 mins, where Tour 2 is approx. 90 mins. Have seen kids of all ages on Bernard's tour. Only you can make the decision regarding your 11 year old.

There are also taxis at the port where they arrange tours.

Whatever you do, enjoy your day, it's one of our favorite islands.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

Can someone tell me about the bathroom facilities on Bernards tour? How many of the stops have bathrooms and what is the condition of them. The last time we were in St. Maarten we had only one bathroom break and we had to pay to use it.

Can someone tell me about the bathroom facilities on Bernards tour? How many of the stops have bathrooms and what is the condition of them. The last time we were in St. Maarten we had only one bathroom break and we had to pay to use it.

I'm bumping up this question as one of the members of our party requires frequent bathroom breaks due to a medical condition so this is a concern for me as well.

When we stop in Marigot, we go to the "West Indies Mall" and use the restroom which is immaculate, well worth the $1 charge.

The public restroom across from the Marketplace (near Sarafinas) is fine, for a small charge.

gary

• 3 weeks later...