Interesting article about value- adds

frankc98376

There's another thing that can add value to something that does not have to do with money.

For me there is value in the fact that now I know exactly what my bar bill will be. I tend to be very cost conscience and shy away from trying new things because I don't want to be throwing away money on the unknown. Now I can order and toss it if I don't want it. No worries. I would purchase the drink package alone for that reason . Plus I can drink . A lot!!!15 beverages over the course of a day is right up my alley.

Now my bar bill is costing me zero. If I booked today I would have paid the same price but not had Explore4. The OBC will cover the tips and I still have enough leftover to buy the horseback riding shorex at HMC plus a HAL robe if I desire.

I'd say that in any cost study I won.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by IndyDenise

My upcoming March 7, 2015 cruise is still listed at the price I paid BUT I have the Explore4 package. Well, I actually am cheaper! I have an SC suite on Rotterdam ( only one of two there ) for 2099.00. Now a suite on Rotterdam is around $2349.00 or more. I thought I paid more but I called to see about an upsell to an SA both HAL and myself realized I would be nuts to do so. Just because I am lazy it wasn't work hundreds of dollars to save steps walking to the Neptune Lounge.

In my case ( a couple of weeks after final payment ) I did well.

Drink Package plus $300.00 OBC plus an extra $200.00 OBC HAL let me tack on during the National Cruise Week promo.

After final payment I do check prices even though I know they will drop like crazy in the weeks to come. I know I wont qualify for the price drops but I do it out of some sick fascination. So far, so good. I made out like a bandit.

That is great!

Some cruises fill well and the pricing does increase. Also, some categories fill well and the pricing for them does increase. Others are the opposite.

Looks as if you have the right category on the right cruise. Way to go!!

I'd rather pay a lower price too. I noticed in the article that they mention that the cruise lines increase the price of the cruise to make up for the "value-add." That isn't value IMO. It is simply a way of getting more passengers to purchase the drink package.

There were some specific examples of just that posted here in the summer/fall. When people saw a price drop and asked for it, they were told they had to give up their drink package "benefit". That wasn't the situation in all cases. Some got the price break and kept their benefits.

Haha, Gail, sailing solo, if you had the explore4 promo, you should get 30 drinks a day!

She should! As a solo she pays the same as two people pay, but she only gets the package for one. If the package comes with a Pinnacle dinner, she still gets only the one, even though she paid the same as two people, who get the two dinners.

It's a Noah's Ark world. :(