Tunisia

bigpaluka

It was dropped from our October, 2014 itinerary middle of last year.

I'm booked for the same cruise as the OP, plus the transatlantic following. If they dump Tunisia, I'll cancel, though I would likely keep the transatlantic and board in Barcelona.

I'm booked for the same cruise as the OP, plus the transatlantic following. If they dump Tunisia, I'll cancel, though I would likely keep the transatlantic and board in Barcelona.

The TA embarking Barcelona on October 3rd follows the Rome to Barcelona cruise embarking September 26th. The OP is on the September 5th sailing.

Lew

We were on the Oct. cruise in 2013 on the Ruby Princess when Tunis was skipped. We may have been the first cruise not to go to Tunis as they were having some civil upheavals at the time. I was really disappointed. They added Malta which I though was a poor substitute. I was really wrong Malta was one of the very best highlights of our cruise.

Edited by dfields1814

Welcome aboard. I hope they keep Tunis.

I just booked this cruise today( Sept 26 sailing) and was elated that Tunis was listed as I missed it on our Ocean Princess cruise last September.

Fingers crossed!

Norris

To guarantee that Tunis will remain a port of call in September is impossible. While Tunisia has made great strides toward stability, the potential for further unrest is present.

Like all the North African Mediterranean Literal, the Arab Spring still is playing out. Thus far, there is a good chance the newly elected President will govern successfully and his economic plan will succeed. However, it will depend on whether the opposition forces challenge him and if they do, whether those challenges are disruptive.

A wild guess probably would hold that there is a 75% chance that stability in Tunisia will hold. But there is no international relations expert that would give a 100% guarantee at this time.

To guarantee that Tunis will remain a port of call in September is impossible. While Tunisia has made great strides toward stability, the potential for further unrest is present.

Like all the North African Mediterranean Literal, the Arab Spring still is playing out. Thus far, there is a good chance the newly elected President will govern successfully and his economic plan will succeed. However, it will depend on whether the opposition forces challenge him and if they do, whether those challenges are disruptive.

A wild guess probably would hold that there is a 75% chance that stability in Tunisia will hold. But there is no international relations expert that would give a 100% guarantee at this time.

I'm aware. I've been to both Crimea and Egypt on Princess, both of which are not presently desirable ports of call. If it's about one port of call, you see what is going on at final payment, and decide.

In my case, it really is about that one port of call on the one-week preceding the transatlantic. I've been to each of the other ports on the one-week, and it is fairly expensive compared to the transatlantic. If Tunis is cancelled before final payment, I'd likely just spend the week on land in Europe and join the Emerald in Barcelona. If it's cancelled afterwards, I would just smile and go. I don't mind seeing more of Genoa and the only time I was in Cannes, it was during the festival and was a madhouse. Just make the best of it.

Edited by Wehwalt

I'm not sure, but I believe that one cruiseline (maybe NCL) canceled all stops in Tunis last year because the authorities there notified them that they would not allow any Jewish passengers to get off the ship.

It doesn't make it right, but it was Israeli, not Jewish in particular.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/03/articles/social-media-1/tunisian-government-to-israeli-passengers-you-are-not-welcome-stay-on-the-ship/

If you are Jewish, you are unwelcome in Tunisia, and you take a risk by going ashore.

I've been to probably about eight predominately Muslim countries. You don't discuss religion (or local politics) but that's a rule I follow everywhere.

And you take a risk at a lot of ports by going ashore.

Princess has not posted any excursions out of Tunisia yet for any of the Princess cruises in 2015....all other ports have excursions listed.

We're on the Rome to FLL Emerald TA and in addition to Tunisia, Genoa and Valencia tours are not yet listed. It's still early, but I'd much rather call on Malta, Corsica or Sardinia.

Lew

Edited by -Lew-

We're on the Rome to FLL Emerald TA and in addition to Tunisia, Genoa and Valencia tours are not yet listed. It's still early, but I'd much rather call on Malta, Corsica or Sardinia.

Lew

We stopped in Malta last year and loved it. I too would prefer a visit there.