Money Bar

willtravel8090

We were just at the Money Bar 2 weeks ago and enjoyed it. It is very easy to get to. Just grab a cab as soon as you leave the port exit. It was $ 11 each for the 2 of us. The snorkeling was great and the food and drinks were good. We did a package that included I snorkeling tour with gear, lunch from a limited menu and a welcome drink. The package was $40 each.

We probably should have just rented the gear and then bought lunch and drinks own our own since the full menu had many more options. But we enjoyed it and I would go back if there again.

Unless they have changed the cabs since October, every time we have taken a cab from port to Money Bar or Chankanaab, the price has been 11.00 per cab for up to 4 people each way. I would clarify that before stepping foot in the cab!

It is very easy, just keep walking past all of the stores to the entrance of the port area and there are a bunch of cabs waiting. It is a very short ride, no more than 10 minutes.

I was all set to go to Papitos but now I'm really considering Money Bar. I'm reading that the snorkeling is much better there. Can you just show up without booking it in advance? I'm kind of a planner (ok, totally a planner :eek:) so I just want to know what I'm getting into. Also, do you remember if there are umbrellas by the beach chairs, or just at the tables?

Thanks!!

I was all set to go to Papitos but now I'm really considering Money Bar. I'm reading that the snorkeling is much better there. Can you just show up without booking it in advance? I'm kind of a planner (ok, totally a planner :eek:) so I just want to know what I'm getting into. Also, do you remember if there are umbrellas by the beach chairs, or just at the tables?

Thanks!!

You do not need to book in advance - if you want a guided snorkel tour I believe you can book in advance; check the web site. I do not recall umbrellas by the beach chairs, but there is some shade and a few hammocks over in the trees if you cannot get an umbrella table.

In the not too distant past we have stopped here to snorkel for an hour+ and then cabbed to either Nachi or Paradise Beach to enjoy the rest of the day. It's your call. :)

I was just at Money Bar back in Oct.

Plenty of spaces to sit in sun, or under a palapa. Great food, great service. No real beach but a sandy area. Snorkeling is great, for Cozumel shore snorkeling.

photos:

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Cozumel_1.jpg

2014_Magic_COZ157.JPG

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Cozumel_3.jpg

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Cozumel_5.jpg

2014_Magic_COZ137.JPG

Money Bar is great. No reservations needed. Just grab a cab from the port. Grab a table when you get there. Order a drink and some chips and salsa, and kick back. Then snorkel some. You can watch some of the snorkel boats come in, and snorkel at the same place.

There is a floating marker on the left end of the pier, maybe a hundred yards that you can swim to. It is concrete structure under the water, where a large group of fish will be. Then you can swim with the current a long a small reef on the bottom that goes in front of Money Bar. It is probably 50 yards out from the shore. When you get to the end, you can swim back to the shore.

I did get to see a big stingray on the bottom, about 30 yards out. Then it started to swim towards the shore, and couldn't keep up.

Then get another drink and some food. Then repeat.

I will be heading back there when I am back in cozumel.

We love Money Bar. Just walk to the taxi line at the port and they will know where to go. Price is for 4 people to a cab, so if it's just two of you, if you can find someone to share you can save a few bucks.

We have our own snorkeling equipment, but they rent it there too. No need to buy any sort of package if you don't want to.

Their chicken nachos are AMAZING. Last time we went we did nachos and 4 drinks and it was like $30! Great deal, and great snorkeling. Clean bathrooms too. Massages are available but rates are about the same as in the US- cheaper than cruise ships at least.

Have any of you that snorkeled here felt uncomfortable around incoming/departing snorkeling boats? A few people on other threads mentioned that the boat drivers aren't very observant/careful of snorkelers in the water and it didn't feel safe to them to snorkel at Moneybar. But everyone here seemed to have a good time with no problems.

It can get kind of busy, but I've never seen or even heard of an issue.

That said I purchased neon bright rash guard shirts for my crew to wear in the water, just to make it easy for everyone to see us. A brightly colored t-shirt should serve the same purpose if you don't want to invest in rash guard shirts.

• 1 month later...

We love it! Great snorkeling, excellent food and drinks, fairly reasonable, great music, clean bathrooms, showers, no one bothers you, totally safe with the snorkely boats around, free wifi (I face timed home and made everyone very jealous). Cab ride from International pier was $10 for 2 ppl each way. We spent the majority of our port day there. Going back in a couple of weeks, cant wait!

Anyone know what time it is open until? Our ship doesn't dock until around 1:30 pm. I'm trying to find some suggestions for places that might be open a little later so we can hop over after the Money Bar.

Anyone know what time it is open until? Our ship doesn't dock until around 1:30 pm. I'm trying to find some suggestions for places that might be open a little later so we can hop over after the Money Bar.

The Money Bar usually stays open until about 10pm and has good sunsets if conditions are right.

If you are talking about round the port depends which pier you are at.

• 2 weeks later...
My wife and I and 3 kids will be in Cozumel next week. Is there cabs that would work for 5 or do we need a van or 2 cabs to get to money bar? I'd like to snorkel at Money bar and even on down to Fiesta Americana Hotel as well.

Fiesta Americana has been remodeled and is now an all-inclusive resort. I think the name changed, too. I doubt you would be allowed on the property to snorkel.

Money Bar is great for snorkeling but it is small. There is no real beach. With 3 kids, I would go to Chankanaab even though there is an entry fee. There is more to do there.

Cozumel is a fantastic island. It is friendly, safe, and relatively cheap.

Taxis in Cozumel are regulated and stands are everywhere. You can have your waiter call you one, too. They are fast and safe. Fares are posted on signs everywhere so don't let the taxi driver try to overcharge. It isn't usually a problem but some people get ripped off when they are intoxicated, etc.

My wife and I and 3 kids will be in Cozumel next week. Is there cabs that would work for 5 or do we need a van or 2 cabs to get to money bar? I'd like to snorkel at Money bar and even on down to Fiesta Americana Hotel as well.

Are you on the Triumph next week?