Escape production shows, kind of ehh!

leeker13

I know some people will absolutely love the production shows on the Escape, but they all seem geared towards an older generation.

I like the mix on Getaway of Legally Blonde and Burn the floor, two real different demographics, the Cirque Dreams & Dinner Jungle Fantasy fits many.

For the Escape, Million Dollar Quartet, After Midnight both geared towards older with big band music, Elvis, Johnny Cash. For the Record Supper Club, 80's music. That is my era I guess, but where is something current & fun.

The Epic has a mix with Blue Man and Legends in Concert, also the Cirque dinner show.

Maybe I am missing it.

I am looking forward to the lack of Second City with the addition of the Headliners Comedy Club. I love a true comedian.

I am beyond excited for the Escape, just feeling ehh about the entertainment.

Your thoughts?

100% agree with you. I was very disappointed to hear of the entertainment aboard. For the first time on any of my cruises, I don't really have any interest in the main shows and I usually like all types of shows.

I hope they have Howl at the Moon. It shows a picture of it but Howl at the Moon isn't specifically mentioned.

I agree with you, too. I'm disappointed with their choices but I look at it this way: It will leave me plenty of time to do all the other activities onboard! And with so many people at the show, less crowding and lines elsewhere!

I hope the ropes course, climbing wall, etc. are open in the evening. If not, I will swim, shop, look at photos, dine late, dance, or people watch. So many other things to do!

And I'm looking forward to the comedians, as well!

I plan to see each production, I really enjoy the shows. I am curious as to where something opposite of those shows is offered as in the examples I gave.

Big Band, I have a feeling most 35 and younger have no idea what that term means!:D

I am looking forward to trying everything offered, the ropes course, aqua park and dining to name a small few examples.

Hmm, no mention of Bliss yet, perhaps something will be there for me!

As for modern, ahh, maybe different, but modern is not a term I would use to describe Duke Ellington and Jerry Lee Lewis. I would love just one offering of Hip-Hop, that would not be my first choice, but at least it is more modern to me. :cool:

I'm not "older" either, and I am very excited about the entertainment lineup. Good music has no age, nor do stories about good music. I'm glad they are offering something different that can appeal to all ages.

By the way, Getaway doesn't have Second City either, nor does it have a Cirque show. Those changes are not something new to Escape.

Edited by LrgPizza

I have to be honest. I had the same reaction that the OP did. I was expecting something cutting edge and modern since NCL is always a step ahead of others in the entertainment area. Blue Man was unheard of 5 years ago on Epic.

I am not a musical lover at all. I have seen Chicago and Mama Mia and a few others. On a ship, I can enjoy them. But I am not a fan of Elvis or the oldies so I too was surprised at the selection for Escape. I understand the show got very good reviews. But I remember the threads about Legally Blonde. Many found that equally puzzing since it was not successful on Broadway and got bad reviews. Then someone pointed out that is why NCL was able to get Legally Blonde because it was a short run show and was cheap compared to a current running successful show. Maybe there is a story like that for the Escape show?

I was not disappointed just surprised it was not something more WOW.

Edited by david_sobe

I'm not "older" either, and I am very excited about the entertainment lineup. Good music has no age, nor do stories about good music. I'm glad they are offering something different that can appeal to all ages.

By the way, Getaway doesn't have Second City either, nor does it have a Cirque show. Those changes are not something new to Escape.

I have not been on the Getaway, but gosh, Norwegian better update the website, I pulled the "Cirque Dreams & Dinner Jungle Fantasy" right from it!

The definition of older sure is relevant, I don't think I am older, but ask my nieces and they might say otherwise. :D

After Midnight launched on Broadway in 2013 based on a show that had been developing since 2011. The 1920's and 1930's are a period that is very "in" right now. People are holding Prohibition Parties all over the US and in the UK. Million Dollar Quartet is from 2010. I guess I'm confused. Are you assuming that people under age 40 wouldn't like music from the 1930's or 1950's? I guess, as someone who has studied music, I don't discriminate between periods of music. I like all music - all types, all styles. I think the music in both of these musicals is still relevant and still speaks to people of all ages. While it might be new music to younger people, I think the fact that it is very good music will attract them and hold their attention. Part of the strength of both of these shows is that the performances can vary from night to night depending on how the audience is making the performers feel. It's a very edgy and much riskier way to do a musical than say performing a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical where every single thing is completely planned out to the smallest detail. I like the premise of both of these shows and I think most people will enjoy the great music in them.

I've always been obsessed with the big band era - the music, the clothes. The swing come back in this mid to late 1990s was my dream come true (I wanted to marry Christian Bale in Swing Kids). And my mom used to listen to rock and roll oldies when I was a kid, so that has a nice amount of nostalgia to it.

While I can't say I'm thrilled by either show, I think they will be pleasantly entertaining.

I have not been on the Getaway, but gosh, Norwegian better update the website, I pulled the "Cirque Dreams & Dinner Jungle Fantasy" right from it!

The definition of older sure is relevant, I don't think I am older, but ask my nieces and they might say otherwise. :D

Perhaps you should look again. You definitely were not looking at the Getaway.

Perhaps you should look again. You definitely were not looking at the Getaway.

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/getaway

Look, scroll down to "What's on board" and then select entertainment, it's listed right there. Eeek, I was looking at booking the Getaway because of the shows. Was I DEFINITELY NOT looking at the Getaway?

Edited by leeker13

I guess I'm missing something...these shows are very popular, award winning broadway productions that we get to see for free, while on a beautiful cruise to the Caribbean...not sure where the disappointment comes in!

I've never really thought of music as age specific. I'm 55 and if they had something in the hip-hop mode I would want to see it. I enjoy all genres of music.

Expand your horizons. You will probably be pleasantly surprised. :D

Funny. I always pictured you as late 30's. Hmmm.....

After Midnight launched on Broadway in 2013 based on a show that had been developing since 2011. The 1920's and 1930's are a period that is very "in" right now. People are holding Prohibition Parties all over the US and in the UK. .

Why would they have Prohibition parties in the UK? It was an American thing (making many Canadians fabulously wealthy!).

Do they only drink imported booze?

:)

Stephen

I guess I'm missing something...these shows are very popular, award winning broadway productions that we get to see for free, while on a beautiful cruise to the Caribbean...not sure where the disappointment comes in!

I did not say I was disappointed and I also said I was aware they were very successful. To each their own I guess. I would pay to see Blue Man and travel to the event if it was in my town. But not sure I would go see the Escape show if it was in my town. But on board of course I will enjoy it very much. I was bracing for something over the top. I guess NCL has spoiled me.

But one thing is the musical will not be a kids show which can be a good thing ;)

Edited by david_sobe

I know some people will absolutely love the production shows on the Escape, but they all seem geared towards an older generation.

I like the mix on Getaway of Legally Blonde and Burn the floor, two real different demographics, the Cirque Dreams & Dinner Jungle Fantasy fits many.

For the Escape, Million Dollar Quartet, After Midnight both geared towards older with big band music, Elvis, Johnny Cash. For the Record Supper Club, 80's music. That is my era I guess, but where is something current & fun.

The Epic has a mix with Blue Man and Legends in Concert, also the Cirque dinner show.

Maybe I am missing it.

I am looking forward to the lack of Second City with the addition of the Headliners Comedy Club. I love a true comedian.

I am beyond excited for the Escape, just feeling ehh about the entertainment.

Your thoughts?

I feel the same way as you. I'm 40 years old and grew up in New York. I have zero interest in the Million Dollar Quartet and for the Record Supper Club. I'm a little intrigued for After Midnight. Just for the dance aspect.

I am looking forward to all the other activities the ship offers.

But as far as the shows are concerned, not so much.

I'm not getting what folks aren't getting. Classic American songbook, excellent choreography, supper club era, kings of rock and roll, and hits from the 80s that inspired an era of filmmaking. Norwegian is going for classic and classy over trendy, and I think they made great choices. I'm looking forward to seeing each twice on my B2B on Escape.

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

As someone who was only 6 going on 7 towards the end of 1989 none of these shows thrill me. However, this does not upset me. When I was on the Getaway I didn't make it to any of the shows (and that was a 7 day cruise). Maybe on my TA I'll make it to one and it will change my mind about the shows but they won't make me enjoy the ship less. There's honestly so much more to enjoy and see that if you don't like the shows; its no big deal.

I'm not getting what folks aren't getting. Classic American songbook, excellent choreography, supper club era, kings of rock and roll, and hits from the 80s that inspired an era of filmmaking. Norwegian is going for classic and classy over trendy, and I think they made great choices. I'm looking forward to seeing each twice on my B2B on Escape.

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

More room for us :p