Escape production shows, kind of ehh!

leeker13

I know some people will absolutely love the production shows on the Escape, but they all seem geared towards an older generation.

I like the mix on Getaway of Legally Blonde and Burn the floor, two real different demographics, the Cirque Dreams & Dinner Jungle Fantasy fits many.

For the Escape, Million Dollar Quartet, After Midnight both geared towards older with big band music, Elvis, Johnny Cash. For the Record Supper Club, 80's music. That is my era I guess, but where is something current & fun.

The Epic has a mix with Blue Man and Legends in Concert, also the Cirque dinner show.

Maybe I am missing it.

I am looking forward to the lack of Second City with the addition of the Headliners Comedy Club. I love a true comedian.

I am beyond excited for the Escape, just feeling ehh about the entertainment.

Your thoughts?

Anything has got to be better then rock of ages, that reeked

I'm not getting what folks aren't getting. Classic American songbook, excellent choreography, supper club era, kings of rock and roll, and hits from the 80s that inspired an era of filmmaking. Norwegian is going for classic and classy over trendy, and I think they made great choices. I'm looking forward to seeing each twice on my B2B on Escape.

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

My thoughts exactly!! :D

I'm not getting what folks aren't getting. Classic American songbook, excellent choreography, supper club era, kings of rock and roll, and hits from the 80s that inspired an era of filmmaking. Norwegian is going for classic and classy over trendy, and I think they made great choices. I'm looking forward to seeing each twice on my B2B on Escape.

I'm with you 100%! I'm especially excited about the 80's show. I think that will be awesome and that is my era! LOVE LOVE LOVE 80's music. I sailed on the QUANTUM OF THE SEAS maiden crossing and they had a group that performed multiple times in The Music Hall. They were called The Wild Boys and are from the UK. They sing all 80's and it was a HUGE hit every night. Standing room only. If this show has half the talent they did, it will be a roaring success.

Why would they have Prohibition parties in the UK? It was an American thing (making many Canadians fabulously wealthy!).

Do they only drink imported booze?

:)

Stephen

Stephen, Yes, I know Prohibition was American, but the movie "The Great Gatsby" with Leonardo DiCaprio was SO popular it started a trend which has spread all over - even to the UK where fancy dress (costume) parties have always been popular. People hold these prohibition parties with food and drink that was popular in the 1920's and music from the 1920's and the ladies dress up as flappers and the men in gangster type suits. I can easily prove this is popular in the UK - take a look at this website:

http://www.prohibition1920s.com/next-event

Here's someone from London discussing going to a prohibition party:

http://onin.london/prohibition-party/

They apparently did a Prohibition Party for the Manchester Ball:

http://www.jdparties.co.uk/christmas-parties/speakeasy-ball-2014/

Here's The Telegraph (a paper in the UK) explaining how to hold a prohibition party:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/10404483/How-to-throw-a-1920s-cocktail-party.html

UK Version of Cosmopolitan Magazine explains how to hold a Prohibition Party:

http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/entertainment/a19797/the-great-gatsby-flapper-vintage-1920s-party-tips/

Here's where some women in the UK buy dresses for these parties:

http://www.vintagedancer.com/1920s/1920s-dresses-sale-uk/

http://www.rockmyvintage.co.uk/1920s-dresses.htm

advice on how to choose the right flapper dress for your body type:

http://www.popsugar.co.uk/fashion/1920s-Style-Flapper-Dresses-All-Budgets-Party-Dresses-32285429#photo-32285429

There's a lot more on the internet about many other Prohibition parties from the UK. I think this is why RCCL is now holding a Prohibition party on their ships Oasis and Allure. It's just something fun that people enjoy doing regardless of if they are from the US or UK.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked the Escape and really excited about the Million Dollar Quartet and After Midnight! :D

A little disappointed that there is no Cirque show or Illusionarium... oh well! I'm sure we will have so many other things to do.

I still hope the Supper Club 80's music is free with UDP so we can go and see it.

Stephen, Yes, I know Prohibition was American, but the movie "The Great Gatsby" with Leonardo DiCaprio was SO popular it started a trend which has spread all over - even to the UK where fancy dress (costume) parties have always been popular. People hold these prohibition parties with food and drink that was popular in the 1920's and music from the 1920's and the ladies dress up as flappers and the men in gangster type suits. I can easily prove this is popular in the UK - take a look at this website:

Not necessarily saying you are wrong, but I don't think any of your links prove that this is popular in the UK, just that parties do happen here. That in itself doesn't mean that they are popular.

Personally, I had never heard of prohibition parties before now, and neither had the couple of people I just asked. That in itself doesn't prove anything, but I'd have thought that if something was really popular then we would have at least heard of them.

From reading some of those links (many of which had to explain what they are), I'd say that this is quite a niche activity.

• 2 weeks later...

We saw both After Midnight and Million Dollar Quartet on Broadway and thought they were both excellent! Look forward to seeing them again.

They will need strong dancers and a good female vocalist to pull off After Midnight, but from seeing entertainment on Epic, Breakaway and Getaway, there's no reason they can't do that. It's a rare treat to see that much tap dancing and relive the great songs of Duke Ellington. On Broadway they had rotating female stars to come in for a few solos - Fantasia was one. We saw it with kd laing who did a fantastic job. Live band will be key.

Million Dollar Quartet showcased the top talent of that era and momentous recording session and was also a very well done production. They will need a little Legends in Concert magic to have leads who resemble and sound like Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc.

After Fat Cats and Grammy Experience on other ships, wondering if there is going to be something on Escape in that space with a club atmosphere and live music. Anyone know?

I'm 37 and am interested in a few of them. Like others said, good music spans generations. There's maybe less that would more universally charm a 16 year old, like Legally Blonde and Cirque can, so I understand that concern.

As for live music, from the bar descriptions, I think the Escape might be leaning towards bringing back more bar-specific entertainment instead of a "music club" like Breakaway/Getaway. Read the description of the bars and see what you think.

After Fat Cats and Grammy Experience on other ships' date=' wondering if there is going to be something on Escape in that space with a club atmosphere and live music. Anyone know?[/quote']

The 5:00 Somewhere Bar (in the same location as Fat Cats / Grammy Experience) is supposed to have entertainment, but we don't know the details yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Fat Cats and Grammy Experience were both totally dead on our cruises last year. We loved seeing Sugar Blue in the Grammy Experience, so spent a lot of time there. However, most the time it was about 24% full. Same could be said about Fat Cats on Epic. The interest just isn't there, for some reason. Hopefully the new plan on Escape will go over better.

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/getaway

Look, scroll down to "What's on board" and then select entertainment, it's listed right there. Eeek, I was looking at booking the Getaway because of the shows. Was I DEFINITELY NOT looking at the Getaway?

I was on the Getaway in August and the show were different than the one's you named. The link also shows what we had seen:

When it comes to the entertainment on our newest ships, you won’t believe your eyes or even your ears. Bask in the bright lights of Broadway with performances like Burn the Floor and Illusionarium. Tickle your funny bone with hilarious comedic performances. Get your groove on at The GRAMMY® Experience aboard Norwegian Getaway. Or experience an awe-inspiring fireworks display exclusively on board Norwegian Getaway.

All of these shows were excellent. I'm guessing the Dinner Club on the Escape supplants Illusionarium...which was excellent by the way. That was the only show with an upcharge, as it was a dinner/show. Embarkation day was discounted 20% though which we took advantage of.

I just booked the Escape for it's second cruise, Thanksgiving week 2015 for my kids and I. We are very excited.

Fat Cats and Grammy Experience were both totally dead on our cruises last year. We loved seeing Sugar Blue in the Grammy Experience, so spent a lot of time there. However, most the time it was about 24% full. Same could be said about Fat Cats on Epic. The interest just isn't there, for some reason. Hopefully the new plan on Escape will go over better.

Ditto. Sugar Blue was good, but one night was enough for us and it wasn't particularly hopping anytime we walked by.

I was not sure what I was expecting when I booked the escape but when I looked at the dining I said oh wow great when I look at the entertainment I said wow what happened.. I hope they add something more to the entertainment I did not see anything that capture to much of my interest.