Wind on balconies

juniortrooper

Hi,

We are in an aft balcony on the Breakaway in July (!!!) I'm planning on hand washing some clothes and was going to bring some clothes pins to hang them to dry.

How is the wind?....I don't want my clothes flying off! I'm not going to hang anything on the railing of course, just clip a couple things to the chairs in the sun to help dry...would this be ok?

(I've only been on one cruise before...in 2000 and it was 3 nights in an inside cabin!)

Thanks so much!

Amy

I don't know about drafts or winds on a aft balcony - but here is a hint - look

in your stateroom closet and find the (skirt) hangers with the built in clothes

pins - secure your laundry and take the hanger out and hook it onto the back

of one of the deck chairs or loungers well away from the railing.

No skirt hangers - ask you cabin steward for them.

This should work fine.

Need faster drying - use the hair dryer (somewhere in the cabin) and use a

low setting passing several times over the laundry till dry. Use Caution !

Also remember in the shower or bath somewhere is a retractable line that

stretches across the stall to hang other items on.

There is method to this madness - NCL with no self-service laundry !

Aft balconies are probably the least windy place on the ship. As someone mentioned there is a possibility of some soot. Also beware of what is above you - on ships with the great outdoors you can end up with some odd food type items on the balcony. On the breakaway the only open area is the Spice H2O area so that may or may not be a problem.

We were in cabin 12904 on Breakaway, I hung clothes over the many chairs and they were fine. Keep the chairs away from the balcony and they will dry without soot/salt. I bring clothes pins to ensure everything stays on the balcony, but IMHO it wasn't necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even though the daily bulletin (at least on RCL, Carnival & Celebrity) says balconies shouldn't be used as clotheslines I don't think it's such a problem now that most cabins and balconies are smoke-free. I think the main reason for this policy was the danger of someone smoking and discarding the butt overboard. It "could" land on someone's balcony and catch their laundry on fire. I can see the possibility of this. My friend and I were going to the beach one day and she threw her cigarette butt out the window. All the windows were open. Next thing we knew smoke was coming from the back seat of my car. Thank goodness I had a cooler of iced tea and ice that we used to put the fire out. Had to get a whole new back seat of my car, though. Lesson learned.

That being said, I do, at times, hang clothes on the balcony chairs to dry but usually try to do it while in port. I always use a large safety pin along the hem or waistband to secure the item to the chair. Have to say, though, that I've never had a problem with things getting dry hanging in the cabin with the exception of a pair of slacks that were of a heavier material. Just depends on when I need to wear them next.

Even though the daily bulletin (at least on RCL, Carnival & Celebrity) says balconies shouldn't be used as clotheslines...[...] I think the main reason for this policy was the danger of someone smoking and discarding the butt overboard.

Pretty sure it has more to do with preventing crap going overboard...

We sailed on the Epic in October, and were told at the safety meeting that we were not to hang any clothes , towels, or swimsuits on balconies, as they are a fire risk. Smoking cigarettes on balconies was allowed, but not flicking them over the side, due to the risk of it being sucked back in to a lower balcony.

I assume this is a company wide policy.

Pretty sure it has more to do with preventing crap going overboard...

Really? I was thinking the rule about not using balconies as clothes lines was to do with stopping the ship pulling in to port with a massive selection of bras knickers pants and girdles all on display as it would give a poor impression.

Regards John