1 way vs RT

janikh

Planning a cruise for July. We are having a hard time deciding 1 way vs RT. They both look so good, but aren't sure which is the better choice. We have been told that if we see Glacier Bay, then no other glaciers compare. But, we have also been told that the Hubbard Glaciers are well worth the extra price of air fare. HELP! I realize everyone has a PERSONAL preference, but input is really helpful! Thanks!

Planning a cruise for July. We are having a hard time deciding 1 way vs RT. They both look so good, but aren't sure which is the better choice. We have been told that if we see Glacier Bay, then no other glaciers compare. But, we have also been told that the Hubbard Glaciers are well worth the extra price of air fare. HELP! I realize everyone has a PERSONAL preference, but input is really helpful! Thanks!

Having done both, I prefer the one way trips. The biggest benefit is the ability to add a land tour....hosted or on your own....on the Alaska side.

Take a look at Princess. I don't know their itinerary this year, but for several years we cruised out of Whittier and stopped at both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier on the way to Vancouver.

In my opinion, that is probably the best itinerary in Alaska for glacier sight seeing. It usually means 1 less port though.

Having done both, I prefer the one way trips. The biggest benefit is the ability to add a land tour....hosted or on your own....on the Alaska side.

In my opinion, that is probably the best itinerary in Alaska for glacier sight seeing. It usually means 1 less port though.

Southbound Pacific Princess stops at both and Hubbard takes the place of a day at sea- so, glacier or sailing for the day.

And I agree that I much preferred the one-way- you really do see so much more.

It all has to do with how much time you have available. If you don't have at least 3-5 days or more in southcentral Alaska before or after the cruise, I'd go with a round trip (out of Vancouver, not Seattle) instead.

I will also suggest you figure out how much time you have and your budget (if limited). I also never do any one ways with out also adding main land touring. For me, it's at least another week (last year it was 3). You can not do a lot with only a couple days. But, if you were to get a Seward cruise, then adding a couple days that is a decent plan that offers plenty to do.

I don't find Glacier Bay "best". It certainly is excellent. IF glaciers are your priority, then "best" is perhaps going to be many, with your plans loading the glacier viewing opportunities- which would be to include tours for "more".

All Alaska cruises will offer great trips- depending on the priorities and traveling inclusions of the visitor. Reason why you see so many "recommendations" for what is claimed is best. :)

It isn't a simple selection for everyone, but to help narrow down the lists, I suggest finding out about each port and take an in depth look at what is available for activities. Rank what is of the most interest to you. Determine what glacier area you want. I caution again just selecting the "most" claimed is a must. Tracy Arm can get a bad rap, but taking the add on ship excursion can greatly up the success of some spectacular close up glacier viewing- distance superior when compared to cruise ship viewing of Glacier Bay, especially being right on the water. :) Cost of cruise, available dates, cruiseline preference etc also can come into the decision.

Every cruise will be a compromise. Take your time and keep reworking your priority lists. The answer will surface for the cruise that is right for you.

Edited by Budget Queen

I don't know which is best, but I do remember feeling overwhelmed with all the decisions needed. And the first big decision was which cruise. Not sure if it will help, but I can relay how I arrived at my decision for a 1-way.

In 2012, we thought this might be the only time we go to Alaska, and we knew we had to see Denali. Once that decision was made, it was logical to do the 1-way. We chose to do the land portion first and then the cruise, so we chose a southbound cruise. If we weren't doing the land portion, I'm sure we would have done a RT because the air would be easier. At least that's how I saw things in 2012.

So basically I made the priority Denali, and things fell into place from there.

Now, as it turns out, we are going back this summer. However, my thinking has changed. This time we are still doing a land portion before the cruise. And the cruise will be RT. The flights will be sort of complicated, but it really was no big deal. We're flying into Anchorage, doing our land portion, then flying out of Anchorage to Seattle for the RT cruise, then flying home.

The priority on this trip is my husband's fishing trip in either Homer or Seward (still to be decided) and then to see and do things differently than the first trip. The first trip was wonderful, but we don't want to repeat it exactly. We want new experiences.

Something has to be your number one priority. What is it for you? Hope this helps.

Dianne

We have taken two Alaska cruises so far. Both times we were there in mid August. The first one in 2009 was a round trip from Seattle on the Star Princess. Our ports of call were Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. We had a great time but wanted to go back again, which we did in mid-August of 2012.

We sailed on the Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas on the southbound route. We loved it! We had four ports of call, Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway and Icy Strait Point located in the Alaskan town of Hoonah.

The ship is fantastic and the cruise was the best we have ever had. Icy Strait Point was and still is our favorite. We went on the Bear and Whale watch combo excursion through RC. We saw two bears catching Salmon and countless whales! It was absolutely breathtaking!

When we went through the Hubbard Glacier area, we witnessed numerous "calving" which is when great chunks of ice break off with loud cracking and rumbling then fall into the water.

At the end of the cruise, going through the Vancouver terminal was no trouble at all. We also had a transfer through the cruise line that took us to the Vancouver airport.

You might be interested in seeing my wife's picture slideshows. Here is a link to the page where you will see slideshows about the different ports of call as well as the ship. The slideshow will start when you click on the link, but you can also go through the pictures if you want to by clicking on the thumbnails one at a time.

2012 RC Radiance of the Seas ~ Alaska Southbound

HAPPY SAILING! It's a great way to explore the world!