Internet Use on the Regal

Meena

Carnival Corp (which owns Princess) as a whole has indicated the following which does not address the issue of unlimited usage"

By 2016, all ships will have expanded Wi-Fi capability. New service will be up to 10 times faster than the current standard—comparable to the Wi-Fi speed at your average coffee shop. The service will consist of a combination of land-based Wi-Fi in port and satellite-based at sea.

So far, no announcment about how much it will charge for the expanded Wi-Fi service. Instead, said a spokesperson, each individual brand will set pricing policy.

These are two (pretty old) press releases, that I thought were interesting:

http://govcomm.harris.com/news/view_pressrelease.asp?act=lookup&pr_id=2775

http://www.law360.com/articles/469545/carnival-says-jilted-telecom-provider-limited-services

Especially the part that says "cruise ship passengers and staff have access to the latest high-speed Internet"

Latest news from Carnival Corp on the subject:

We are working toward providing our guests and crew with improved shipboard internet connectivity to enable them to share their onboard experiences with family and friends.

Connectivity – to provide reliable guest connectivity at all times and geographies and deliver the best possible connectivity experience, improve crew morale through better connectivity with family and friends and offer support for new services and products. For example, we expect to implement an innovative “smart hybrid” network that combines land-based systems and advanced satellite connectivity to provide our guests and crew with faster and more consistent internet service regardless of our ships’ locations.

The fastest growing segment of the vacation industry is the millennial generation, or those born between 1980 and 2000. With a population of over 80 million, the millennial generation has surpassed the size of the baby boomers generation and now represents the largest generation size in history. The millennial generation has a strong desire for travel and shared experiences and will continue to offer growth and drive innovation in the vacation industry, especially as they evolve into more frequent travelers. This presents an opportunity for the cruise industry to attract more first time cruisers and grow its repeat cruiser base within this segment. For the millennial generation, vacation is typically not merely about relaxation and exploring, but rather self-development and being able to share their adventures with friends and family via social media. Also, millennials typically prefer more affordable vacations without sacrificing the accommodations or experiences. The cruise industry is working toward meeting the millennials’ unique vacation preferences, including enhancing its ships’ internet connectivity.

I really enjoyed using Princess@Sea on two cruises on Emerald.

The messaging is supposed to come there in April, according to

the MTN attendant.

I am a geek, and would be a complete sucker for all-you-can-eat

internet.

I always enjoy getting to St. Thomas on Eastern Carribbean itineraries,

and have my phone start working.

But, $25 / day??? That is $750 / month!

I once had a boss who was worth about $700 million. He had

a T1 into his house, which cost a little bit more than that.

But $750 / month? I don't think a normal person would choose

to spend that on any plan at home.

I would go $10 / day, especially if there was some way to trade

the Platinum/Elite minutes for all or part of it.

Time to research MAC spoofing.

• 1 month later...
I was exploring my pre-cruise emails for my cruise next April (2016) For the Regal (Found under Boarding Pass & Docs scroll to the bottom)

and this was in the email

IC_PC_banner.jpg

I did not see it for our Royal July 2016 sailing emails

Bring it on (and let us apply the value of our Platinum/Elite internet package to it)!!!

I did unlimited recently on the Regal......and no......you can't get credit for your free mins. My spouse got free mins and I got unlimited. You can bet I was hoping they'd give me like $50 or $75 off the unlimited in place of the 150 mins or whatever it is......nope...... wouldn't budge on that.

Edited to say......we were aft, and the signal was debatable in the cabin, and we had no signal on our balcony !

Edited by SRQfireman

Maybe a stupid question- my wife and I are both Platinum members with the same number but mine has an A appended and hers has a B. The website says that EACH Platinum member gets so many free internet minutes, depending on length of the cruise. Does that mean that each of us gets that number of minutes or just the cabin gets it?

Maybe a stupid question- my wife and I are both Platinum members with the same number but mine has an A appended and hers has a B. The website says that EACH Platinum member gets so many free internet minutes, depending on length of the cruise. Does that mean that each of us gets that number of minutes or just the cabin gets it?

You each get your own number of minutes. I love that because I can use mine and my husbands minutes. But I had to set up 2 different accounts for it.

You each get your own number of minutes. I love that because I can use mine and my husbands minutes. But I had to set up 2 different accounts for it.

How did you set up two different accounts??

Thanks for your help.

How did you set up two different accounts??

Thanks for your help.

You'll simply set up an account in each name. On your initial log in, they request name, date of birth and cabin number. You will see a welcome back as a Captains Circle member and can select a package that will be free, or apply the value of your free package to a more expensive one. At that time you set up a password and subsequent log ins require just name, cabin number and password.

If your spouse isn't going to use their minutes, you can either wait to sign up for their package until yours are depleted or sign up for both of them right away and use either log in and password.

We were on the Regal Grand Med cruise last June (2014, room A409). The internet access in our cabin was terrible on my laptop. Constantly dropped connections, slow transfer when finally connected, etc. Basically unusable.

We didn't have that problem on the Grand Princess Caribbean cruise a couple of years before (it was a slow but reliable connection).

We're going on the Royal this Christmas, so I hope they've done something to improve their in-room wifi access.