Athens Hotel Suggestions Please

2Canucks

Look at Athen's Gate Hotel, it has a great location on the edge of the Plaka but much more quiet than the ones in the middle of it. It is a five minute walk to the Acropolis Museum and about ten to the Acropolis entrance. The rooms are fine and comfortable, the wifi is good and there is lovely rooftop bar and restaurant where you can enjoy a nice alfresco breakfast and drinks at night with a view of the Acropolis lit up at night.

Thank you, and yes I have checked out Athen's Gate. It is on my short list and I love getting feedback from people who have actually stayed there!

Does anyone have any experience with the Plaka Hotel? It gets high ratings on Trip Advisor and the photos show a lovely rooftop terrace with amazing views of the Acropolis.

It appears to be North of the Acropolis and pretty much in the thick of things with a lot of shopping, restaurants and museums nearby.

I have tentatively booked a room there for our May 2016 cruise and was just wondering if anyone on here had stayed there.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any experience with the Plaka Hotel? It gets high ratings on Trip Advisor and the photos show a lovely rooftop terrace with amazing views of the Acropolis.

It appears to be North of the Acropolis and pretty much in the thick of things with a lot of shopping, restaurants and museums nearby.

I have tentatively booked a room there for our May 2016 cruise and was just wondering if anyone on here had stayed there.

Thanks!

Hi BaseballMom! How did you get a reservation so early if I may inquire? I can't find any availability at most hotels past this December. Wouldn't mind getting a jump on everyone and booking early if possible especially since we really need a family room that sleeps 4. Thanks for any helps!

Hi BaseballMom! How did you get a reservation so early if I may inquire? I can't find any availability at most hotels past this December. Wouldn't mind getting a jump on everyone and booking early if possible especially since we really need a family room that sleeps 4. Thanks for any helps!

Expedia does them out further than some of the other travel sites. If you are looking for a room that sleeps 4 in Athens, that might be an issue. The "family" rooms seem to be more like connecting rooms and they can get pricey.

Expedia does them out further than some of the other travel sites. If you are looking for a room that sleeps 4 in Athens, that might be an issue. The "family" rooms seem to be more like connecting rooms and they can get pricey.

I'll check into it. I have found a few hotels with family rooms that seem in our price range so will see if any of them are on Expedia. If not I will just wait it out until our dates are available.

I'll check into it. I have found a few hotels with family rooms that seem in our price range so will see if any of them are on Expedia. If not I will just wait it out until our dates are available.

If they are not on Expedia, you can always try going directly the hotel's website.

My friend is bringing her 2 nephews and from what we have seen so far (and we only checked a couple) the family room essentially doubles the price. But that may just be the couple that we have looked at.

Let us know if you find one that has better pricing!

I highly recommend contacting the hotel directly. Often they will take a reservation although they don't have the info loaded onto websites that far in advance.

(In many instances you also get a better price dealing with the hotel directly, but not always...)

Looking for a quad, it really is imperative to start early as there is a small supply.

I highly recommend contacting the hotel directly. Often they will take a reservation although they don't have the info loaded onto websites that far in advance.

(In many instances you also get a better price dealing with the hotel directly, but not always...)

Looking for a quad, it really is imperative to start early as there is a small supply.

We leave tomorrow to drive to Miami for this year's cruise vacation so once I get back I will be hardcore planning for next year. I'll definitely email the short-list of hotels we have. They all have quads listed on their websites. I'll report back once I make contact!

Thanks!

We stayed there just 3 weeks ago. It is very clean and efficient, pretty basic rooms but great location. The roof top terrace was nice, we sat up there drinking wine and gazing at the Acropolis 2 nights. Nice breakfast in the mornings.

We stayed there just 3 weeks ago. It is very clean and efficient, pretty basic rooms but great location. The roof top terrace was nice, we sat up there drinking wine and gazing at the Acropolis 2 nights. Nice breakfast in the mornings.

Thanks for the first hand info. That's really what we are looking for, a nice clean place with a good breakfast and someplace to view the Acropolis. It will just be my youngest son and me (he will be 18 at cruise time).

Did you happen to notice if the rooms with balconies had a view of the Acropolis? It appears to be within walking distance of a lot of the sights, was that the case?

Thanks again!

Amy

We didn't have a balcony room so I couldn't say. We also did a 1/2 day cab tour which was nice in that the driver got us very quickly to the acropolis and other sites and was right there when we were finished. It is walkable though to most sites. Actually, when we wandered around more the next day, we realized that we probably could have done the tour walking.

We didn't have a balcony room so I couldn't say. We also did a 1/2 day cab tour which was nice in that the driver got us very quickly to the acropolis and other sites and was right there when we were finished. It is walkable though to most sites. Actually, when we wandered around more the next day, we realized that we probably could have done the tour walking.

Thanks again. All good to know. We plan on having around 1/2 day on Sunday, all day Monday and a half day on Tuesday in Athens before boarding the Vista. I am thinking we will be able to cover a lot of ground on foot as the hotel seems to be pretty much in the thick of things and we prefer walking to riding anyway.

The subway in Athens is modern, clean, efficient, and very easy to use. All stops are written in Greek and Roman alphabets. Just be very sure to validate your pass before getting in. I can tell you from personal experience that they randomly stop people getting off to verify they have validated (fortunately we are anal about these things!) and I understand the penalty is steep for those caught fare hopping.

The subway in Athens is modern, clean, efficient, and very easy to use. All stops are written in Greek and Roman alphabets. Just be very sure to validate your pass before getting in. I can tell you from personal experience that they randomly stop people getting off to verify they have validated (fortunately we are anal about these things!) and I understand the penalty is steep for those caught fare hopping.

Good to know! Thanks!

We booked the Best Western Amazon Hotel for 2 nights post cruise using award points. It is in a central location close to Syntagma Square where many of the tours begin. We plan on doing a food walking tour.

Our first choice, Attalos Hotel, was already booked for their quad room(s). I checked with Plaka Hotel and they are available but above my price range. We ended up booking Best Western Amazon Hotel (without points boo). It includes breakfast and the picture on the website looks nice (hope it's that way in reality).

We booked the Best Western Amazon Hotel for 2 nights post cruise using award points. It is in a central location close to Syntagma Square where many of the tours begin. We plan on doing a food walking tour.

I am thinking of booking this hotel too, the BW Amazon. Yes the Plaka is way out of my price range for 3. They have good reviews at this hotel and is centrally located.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed in Athos hotel, which were great! Very central (Plaka area), with good prices. Very clean and staff there very polite! the owner was very helpfull, giving us information about sightseeing in Athens. also has a great roof garden with amazing view (Parthenon!!). definately recommended!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Officially booked into the Plaka Hotel for May 22, 2016-May 24, 2016. I will definitely write a review about it. It gets good reviews on Trip Advisor and they are very good at responding to email with questions.

Two other groups from our roll call are also booked at the Plaka so hopefully we will meet up on the roof deck for a cocktail and some amazing photos!

We just returned - we had 2 nights at the Ava Hotel. It's up the street from the Arch of Hadrian, right at the edge of the Plaka. Walkable to just about any of the major sites, including great tavernas and shops, it is on a quiet street so you don't feel the busyness of that part of the city. Breakfast was included and was great. They also arranged our transport from the airport and to the port.

They have terrific, deserved reviews on Trip Advisor and were very reasonable.