RCCL Pre buying OBC.

Our cruise is showing the Ultimate package as $67 USD when I convert it ( using xe.com) it is $87AUD. Over $2000 for a 12 night cruise for two:eek:

Strange we are all getting different prices per day.

Chez

xx

That's really expensive. What on earth are RCI thinking? :confused: Surely they must realise that cruisers are going to compare their prices with other cruise lines and that they aren't going to come out as being cost-effective.

Oh well, I'm prepared for the worst. Hopefully the weather will be nice so that we get to all our ports and I can enjoy snorkelling at Lifou again, and lunching in Noumea.

But is it showing the price in AUD through the .com.au website, Aronde?

OK, I wondered about whether you were talking about the wine package or the cruise package. Very confusing using the same name for both. :confused:

Yes all the prices on my pre cruise planner are in Aussie dollars which I access through .com.au site. It is still showing $A84 for the drink package.

I was confused initially also seeing discussions about wine and dine 'package' on the RCI board - I saw the heading and thought they were going to complaining about the 'sale' like many others were on the RCI Facebook page!

Yes all the prices on my pre cruise planner are in Aussie dollars which I access through .com.au site. It is still showing $A84 for the drink package.

It will be very interesting to see if the price in your pre-cruise planner increases as your cruise draws closer.

Speaking of drink packages I have noticed the 'wine and dine' sale has disappeared from the website. It was supposed to run until April. I am guessing the 'free' drinks and gratuities that put the price of cruises up by many hundreds of dollars was not such a big hit after all!!

You're right, that is weird. I can only presume like you that sales dropped off so they substituted it with another.

That said, where I looked the prices hadn't actually gone up compared to the BOGOHO pricing. Though as that sale had ended the reduction from that ended as well.

Our cruise is showing the Ultimate package as $67 USD when I convert it ( using xe.com) it is $87AUD. Over $2000 for a 12 night cruise for two:eek:

Strange we are all getting different prices per day.

Chez

xx

I know what I would be doing with that $2000, it won't be spent on a drinks package with RCI, that is for sure.:D

I know what I would be doing with that $2000, it won't be spent on a drinks package with RCI, that is for sure.:D

Yep! last bill on Princess was $500 and that included gratuity's for two for 11 days. We have never spent anywhere near $2000 on alcohol. Imagine purchasing a package at these prices for a 28 night cruise!!

I think that is why prices went up and packages were included on some cruises

Chez

xx

We spent a bit more on our Princess cruise :p but we weren't stinting ourselves on that cruise, it was Christmas and we were having Christmas to ourselves for the first time ever.

Even restricting ourselves to the bare minimum of drinks. and only choosing the lowest priced wines, I think we will end up spending over $1000 for a 9 night cruise. And that's with taking the two bottles onboard with us. :eek:

What a shame! Looks like RCI might be pricing itself out of the Aussie market if the exchange rate stays where it is or worse.

Yep! last bill on Princess was $500 and that included gratuity's for two for 11 days. We have never spent anywhere near $2000 on alcohol. Imagine purchasing a package at these prices for a 28 night cruise!!

I think that is why prices went up and packages were included on some cruises

Chez

xx

The cheaper prices luring people in can be a trap, we always try to see what the total cruise package will cost so there are no surprises or bill shock at the end.:D

The cheaper prices luring people in can be a trap, we always try to see what the total cruise package will cost so there are no surprises or bill shock at the end.:D

Unfortunately the cruise lines don't make it easy for people to budget as they don't publish their drinks prices (other than packages), wines lists, spa prices etc. :rolleyes: If you're lucky someone on CC will have posted that info or a useful link somewhere but it can take some research.

It's a real trap for newcomers to the cruising world. I consider myself an experienced traveller, have planned and budgeted for several major overseas trips over the last few years, and always stayed well within my budget. Trying to budget for some of the onboard costs of cruises is almost impossible as the information needed is not easy to come by.

I've got bill shock now and I haven't even boarded the cruise yet :eek:

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I really like the wine package on Princess, the coffee card where my hubby gets a free hot chocolate:p and it can roll over for another cruise for specialty coffees, add our free mini bar setup (which we can exchange around for the alcohol we prefer), add a couple of cocktails pre dinner, and that suits us. Reason we spend less on Princess. Royal package it up so that you really have to buy the lot.

I have heard that Royal will not allow combining OBC? So if I buy future cruise credits I cannot combine it with a sale including OBC?

Chrz

xx

Yes, I am not even cruising with RCi til next year and I am getting prepared.:eek:

I shall take extensive notes and let you know what you're in for.

Any particular types of drink you want me to check the prices on for you?

Just got off Rhapsody. Basic drinks prices USD (including gratuity) were.

Beers $6.50 and up.

Cocktails $14 (ouch) cocktail of the day $9.50

Wine. Don't know we brought 4 bottles on board (2 cabins)and were pleasantly served those in the dinning room by our wait staff with no corkage charges.

Coffees. $3-$5 (ish) depending on type/size.

I shall take extensive notes and let you know what you're in for.

Any particular types of drink you want me to check the prices on for you?

Good on you, no particular drinks for me. I found we hardly had much to drink before 5pm on the last RCI cruise, but that was more for our livers than my wallet.:D

Thanks, Woodyren. That's not quite as bad as I was expecting, at least for beers and coffees. $14 cocktails = AUD $21 roughly. Ouch indeed! :eek:

The conversion isn't that bad. $14US = about $18AU. Though still not a cheap cocktail in the end.

Just got off Rhapsody. Basic drinks prices USD (including gratuity) were.

Beers $6.50 and up.

Cocktails $14 (ouch) cocktail of the day $9.50

Wine. Don't know we brought 4 bottles on board (2 cabins)and were pleasantly served those in the dinning room by our wait staff with no corkage charges.

Coffees. $3-$5 (ish) depending on type/size.

Thanks Woodywren:)

So was that $6.50 beer plus 18% gratuity plus conversion to AUD?

My husband is having heart palpatations here as he opens a beer to watch the cricket:p Sadly for Royal he won't pay that for a beer, and he likes his beer!!!

Chez

xx

Thanks Woodywren:)

So was that $6.50 beer plus 18% gratuity plus conversion to AUD?

My husband is having heart palpatations here as he opens a beer to watch the cricket:p Sadly for Royal he won't pay that for a beer, and he likes his beer!!!

Chez

xx

$6.50 US with the gratuity included in that price. So about $8 (ish) AUS.

The conversion isn't that bad. $14US = about $18AU. Though still not a cheap cocktail in the end.

Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot the gratuity was already included. I've been adding 50% of pre-gratuity price to get the AUD price.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Not cheap by any means but still cheaper than some pubs and bars around the cities.:D

Yeah Mic, I get your logic, but we don't go to a pub or club for 12 days:p

well some might!!! it's usually a one night out thing, then back to having a beverage at home;)

Anyways, we shall go and see how we fare. We really don't mind spending the $$ when we have to, but with our conversion rate on these US based ships in OZ, we just can't justify some of those drink prices.

Might be time to have a teetotalling cruise......now that would be a first:eek:

Chez

Yeah Mic, I get your logic, but we don't go to a pub or club for 12 days:p

well some might!!! it's usually a one night out thing, then back to having a beverage at home;)

Anyways, we shall go and see how we fare. We really don't mind spending the $$ when we have to, but with our conversion rate on these US based ships in OZ, we just can't justify some of those drink prices.

Might be time to have a teetotalling cruise......now that would be a first:eek:

Chez

NOT! GOING! TO! HAPPEN! :eek: :eek:

I'd rather not cruise :D