RCCL Pre buying OBC.

Good to hear you were not affected by the cyclone or get sea sick.

Drinks are pricey on RCI compared to some cruises and also drinks at home but I am sure you have bought more expensive alcohol at a restaurant or bar as well. The worst thing is that the cost is high everyday rather than just one night out.:(

I won a bottle of wine at the Meet & Mingle on the Voyager. It's $38 on the the ship. Dan Murphy's sell it for $6.90

I won a bottle of wine as well, at my M&M, on the Cyclone Marcia cruise.

And we get a bottle of champagne as a welcome back on every cruise.:)

Instead of carrying it home every time, we shall have to start consuming it.:D:D:D

Instead of carrying it home every time, we shall have to start consuming it.:D:D:D

We always consume it, even if we have a drinks package, we just invite some friends to the balcony for a drink or two.:D

Can I ask how and why you get a bottle of wine as a welcome back?

We had the premium drinks package last cruise on the Rhapsody and it was great. You can get any wine by the glass up to $12. At dinner they watched and as we got near the bottom of the glass they asked if we wanted another one. The best part was I could have what i wanted and so could my husband.

Sorry, I don't look at the wine packages, since I worked out that the wine I drink WAS cheaper to buy, by the bottle. But that reminds me to re-check with the price rises.:p

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. If we're drinking the cheaper wines the package (if available) may not be cost-effective, but also the package may not have many wines that we like to drink. I can't drink most cabernet sauvignons as they give me headaches, possibly because they are high in tannin, and sauvignon blancs as they give me serious reflux, and both these wines tend to feature heavily on wine lists.

Oh well, will just have to wait until we are onboard.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We had the premium drinks package last cruise on the Rhapsody and it was great. You can get any wine by the glass up to $12. At dinner they watched and as we got near the bottom of the glass they asked if we wanted another one. The best part was I could have what i wanted and so could my husband.

Did you find there was a decent selection of wines by the glass up to $12?

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Did you find there was a decent selection of wines by the glass up to $12?

Yes I did. I like sparkling and the only one I could not get on the package was Chandon. It also covers cocktails, beers and spirits.

:eek: RCI have just hiked up the package prices again. The Ultimate package was just under AU $84 the other day, it's now $98.82. :eek: Hubby will want that one because it includes speciality coffees - he only drinks espresso.

That's outrageous!

I'm beginning to regret I booked this cruise. :mad: We just wanted a cheap break away, now it looks like it's going to be either very expensive or miserable because we are having to count costs all the time. This could be our first and last cruise with RCI!

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

:eek: RCI have just hiked up the package prices again. The Ultimate package was just under AU $84 the other day, it's now $98.82. :eek: Hubby will want that one because it includes speciality coffees - he only drinks espresso.

That's outrageous!

I'm beginning to regret I booked this cruise. :mad: We just wanted a cheap break away, now it looks like it's going to be either very expensive or miserable because we are having to count costs all the time. This could be our first and last cruise with RCI!

Don't be discouraged.... If you only have a couple of drinks a day then the drink package isn't worth it. Check out this link:

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-drink-package/

Enjoy the cruise and have an awesome time!

Can I ask how and why you get a bottle of wine as a welcome back?

When you get to D+ with RCI, 175 points, you get to choose a gift that you get for every cruise. You get an additional gift when you get to 350 points. Which we will have by the end of April. :D Half way to Pinnacle. :D

The list consists of around 1/2 different wines, or cheese or fruit platters, or a RCI logo towel. We get champagne and the kids get the towel.:p

I think you also get the champagne if you stay in a suite. :)

Edited by Aussie FF

Don't be discouraged.... If you only have a couple of drinks a day then the drink package isn't worth it. Check out this link:

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-drink-package/

Enjoy the cruise and have an awesome time!

Thanks, Canadian1.

Typically we would have a glass of wine or two with lunch, a cocktail or two before dinner, share a bottle of wine with dinner, and sometimes indulge in an after dinner drink - a liqueur, or Armagnac/Cognac. Plus DH drinks espresso, I drink tea, and we sometimes enjoy sparkling water. We don't drink soft drinks (soda), at least not the stuff I expect to find onboard, but could be tempted with a cold beer occasionally.

I don't think we really fit the typical drinks package user. I have looked at a RCL wine list and what they include as "premium wines up to $12 a glass" are a very small selection of the bottom of the range wines. :(

: RCI have just hiked up the package prices again. The Ultimate package was just under AU $84 the other day, it's now $98.82. Hubby will want that one because it includes speciality coffees - he only drinks espresso.

That's outrageous!

We are feeling exactly the same way:(

Our first real RCCL cruise (did a 1 nighter) in three weeks, was really looking forward to trying something different. These drink package prices are through the roof:eek: plus they just upped the gratuity on everything to 18%!!

We have been spoiled on Princess being Elite, free laundry, mini bar, internet packages etc and know we have to start at the bottom somewhere else, but seems they are charging lots more for everything. The specialty restaurants are so expensive, then we have to convert it to AUD:eek: so we wont be doing that!! Gratuity's upfront for My time dining, we pay them anyway, but I dont agree with paying them when you book, charge me when I am receiving the service:rolleyes:

Anyway, we shall go with an open mind, looking forward to a new ship.

We didnt buy any 1:1 OBC for this one as we booked with US TA, but the Voyager and Explorer we have booked later in the year we have stocked up with USD OBC;)

Chez

xx

Edited by cheznandy

I wonder how many people have ever brought the equivalent in $US on the cruise to the drink package level they are looking at? By the time you have port/shore days where you would only drink in the evening probably, how much dollar value would you go through by just having what you wanted?

Keep the cash in your safe, and then pay off the drink package equivalent every couple of days. You may find that without the pressure to get your money's worth from buying the drink package you are actually more relaxed by just buying the drinks you want as you want them. You may be ahead by allowing for that amount of spending, but not actually spending it.

I have seen more people stressed on a cruise that they are not drinking as much as they thought they would, and then they buy things "just to try them" that they actually don't even like. I could be wrong, maybe many people find they drink much more than the drink package value.

I don't judge on how much people want to drink or not, but sometimes I think from talking to the actual consumers on board that there are a lot of people not feeling that they got value from buying a package.

I wonder how many people have ever brought the equivalent in $US on the cruise to the drink package level they are looking at? By the time you have port/shore days where you would only drink in the evening probably, how much dollar value would you go through by just having what you wanted?

Keep the cash in your safe, and then pay off the drink package equivalent every couple of days. You may find that without the pressure to get your money's worth from buying the drink package you are actually more relaxed by just buying the drinks you want as you want them. You may be ahead by allowing for that amount of spending, but not actually spending it.

I have seen more people stressed on a cruise that they are not drinking as much as they thought they would, and then they buy things "just to try them" that they actually don't even like. I could be wrong, maybe many people find they drink much more than the drink package value.

I don't judge on how much people want to drink or not, but sometimes I think from talking to the actual consumers on board that there are a lot of people not feeling that they got value from buying a package.

Agree. We had a drink package on Solstice and were drinking because we could and it was more than we usually would. We don't drink during the day (tea, water and a coffee) we don't even get through 1 bottle of wine with dinner between us these days, must be getting old!!!

But now that $30 bottle of wine has 18% gratuity plus a conversion to AUD.

Chez

xx

The reason I'm freaking out is that on our Princess cruise over Christmas we spent an average of just under AU $85 per day on drinks for both of us. I was more than pleasantly surprised how reasonable the prices were on Princess, and we weren't drinking the cheapest wines. I have fond memories of a premier cru Chablis that we enjoyed on at least two occasions. It was $66 a bottle. That was the most expensive wine we drank.

Since RCI charges in USD I was expecting the wine prices to be lower than the Princess AUD prices but they aren't. Many of them are dearer, then add 18% plus exchange rate. The AUD price works out as the RCI wine list price plus 50%! :eek:

We won't be trying the speciality restaurants either. AU $25pp for the Sterling Steakhouse against US39 (roughly AU $60pp) for the RCI steakhouse, plus extra for decent cuts of beef. :eek:

Oh well, lesson learnt, don't be tempted by bargain fares until after I've researched the cruise line. :(

I'm sure we'll still have fun but we won't be as relaxed as we could be.

Ozkiwijj, your cruise is before us, we are on the Radiance 31/3.

Will be really interested to hear about your experience on your return.

I read that they have bought the wine n dine package back, but maybe not for the ships cruising in OZ:rolleyes: I am not sure.

I love the wine package on Princess, and the coffee card, that with our Elite mini bar setup is about the total of our bill usually!! Plus a couple of pre dinner martinis:p

Enjoy our cruise

Chez

xx

Edited by cheznandy

:eek: RCI have just hiked up the package prices again. The Ultimate package was just under AU $84 the other day, it's now $98.82. :eek: Hubby will want that one because it includes speciality coffees - he only drinks espresso.....

I just checked my upcoming cruise and the ultimate package is still listed at $84. I did a dummy booking for it and it came out to $585 including tips for the seven night cruise ($83.57/night). Maybe check it again later? I have seen some weird price fluctuations on the web site - both up and down!

Speaking of drink packages I have noticed the 'wine and dine' sale has disappeared from the website. It was supposed to run until April. I am guessing the 'free' drinks and gratuities that put the price of cruises up by many hundreds of dollars was not such a big hit after all!!

I just checked my upcoming cruise and the ultimate package is still listed at $84.

Speaking of drink packages I have noticed the 'wine and dine' sale has disappeared from the website.

That's interesting, when I look it shows as $99. My cruise is less than two weeks away. Maybe they hike the price as the cruise gets closer :confused: I'll be very interested to see what price you see a couple of weeks before your cruise.

There has been some mention on the RCI forum about that package disappearing, and then reappearing again on some ships. I suspect that, like the up to $12 wines by the glass in the packages, it will only cover the cheapest wines on offer, and may be very limited in variety especially for my tastes.

That's interesting, when I look it shows as $99. My cruise is less than two weeks away. Maybe they hike the price as the cruise gets closer :confused: I'll be very interested to see what price you see a couple of weeks before your cruise.

There has been some mention on the RCI forum about that package disappearing, and then reappearing again on some ships. I suspect that, like the up to $12 wines by the glass in the packages, it will only cover the cheapest wines on offer, and may be very limited in variety especially for my tastes.

Maybe because my cruise is in the US they have not adjusted the price? Either way it is weird however I will not be prebuying any drink packages regardless of the price. We have three cabins on our upcoming cruises so 6 bottles of carry on wine between three adults will be plenty :)

Sorry did not make myself clear about the 'wine and dine'. I was talking about the 'sale' they had for purchasing a cruise where you got a drinks package, gratuities and some on board credit. People were complaining about how the cruise price jumped quite substantially when this 'sale' started. If you did not drink a lot it was certainly a bit of a raw deal. One cruise I was looking at went up nearly $2000 for our family! Anyway they now seem to have ditched that sale for a 'next summer sale' with discounted cruise price, some onboard credit and 50% deposit.

But is it showing the price in AUD through the .com.au website, Aronde?

OK, I wondered about whether you were talking about the wine package or the cruise package. Very confusing using the same name for both. :confused:

Our cruise is showing the Ultimate package as $67 USD when I convert it ( using xe.com) it is $87AUD. Over $2000 for a 12 night cruise for two:eek:

Strange we are all getting different prices per day.

Chez

xx