RCCL Pre buying OBC.

I left $8.00US of my OBC. The refund came through as $10.32 AU.

I am going to always buy OBC in future. The forex rate will be so much better. Normally I buy US cash from the Travelex booths and get forex price less about 5 points and a fee.

This is a much better way of doing it.

Raina

I too enjoyed the Voyager cruise to nowhere.

I did notice a few difference. It will never be my favorite ship but some things were great. Loved the ice show and Johnny Rockets is always fun.

Diamond Lounge was similar to all the DL and CL I have been in - great views, good service. Didn't like the CL - I have been too spoilt by JD on Radiance and it is in a box - an internal room with no windows.

If you like shopping there was plenty of that there.

Gae, your friends will be fine.

Raina

Edited by AussieVisi2r

I left $8.00US of my OBC. The refund came through as $10.32 AU.

I am going to always buy OBC in future. The forex rate will be so much better. Normally I buy US cash from the Travelex booths and get forex price less about 5 points and a fee.

This is a much better way of doing it.

Raina

Agreed, unless you go to Sydney and the George street shop near Central/China Town where I have always got a very good rate.:D

So what is the general consensus? For any refund of OBC or charges to credit card am I better to use the RCL rate or my bank rate? This question on the online check-in always confuses me.

It really depends on your particular bank's rate, I always choose the rate from my bank rather than the cruise line.:D

Agreed, unless you go to Sydney and the George street shop near Central/China Town where I have always got a very good rate.:D

If it is the one i am thinking of with a western union sign outside I use that shop as well. Best rate in Sydney.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

If it is the one i am thinking of with a western union sign outside I use that shop as well. Best rate in Sydney.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

That is the one, I bought South African Rand the other week for a better rate than the exchange rate on XE.com.:D

So what is the general consensus? For any refund of OBC or charges to credit card am I better to use the RCL rate or my bank rate? This question on the online check-in always confuses me.

The question from the on line check-in about the currency conversion has nothing to do with the actual rate used to convert your on board account from $US to $A. The conversion rate will obviously change daily but what the A or B option on your Set Sail means is if you select A the ship will charge you three percent of whatever you spend as a fee to press a button on a computer to do a currency conversion ( using whatever rate it may be at that time) Choose B and your bank or credit card provider will do exactly the same thing but may charge you less ( or more) depending which bank/credit card provider you are with.

I would assume that if you were to redeem any OBC on the ship for cash they would give it to you in $US less their 5 percent fee but with it being credited back to your credit card the usual bank fees would apply and at whatever the exchange rate was at the time.

Apply for a 28 degrees Mastercard and let the bank (rather than RCL) do the conversion fee free and at the actual exchange rate of the day. Added bonus you can also use this card to spend up in overseas ports and not give the bank a percentage! :)

Apply for a 28 degrees Mastercard and let the bank (rather than RCL) do the conversion fee free and at the actual exchange rate of the day. Added bonus you can also use this card to spend up in overseas ports and not give the bank a percentage! :)

Do they really use the actual exchange rate of the day, or their exchange rate of the day? There can be significant differences.

Do they really use the actual exchange rate of the day, or their exchange rate of the day? There can be significant differences.

Actual exchange rate of the day minus a very small percent. Here's an example:

Last week I made a purchase in US$ online - exchange rate for 28degree was .774 whilst Westpac rate was .74 and the actual advertised rate of the day was .78

We use the 28 degree card whenever we travel and have never had an issue, other than when using the card at a hotel the hold on the money by the hotel takes approx. 10 days for the hold to be removed to your card thus limiting your available credit.

In my experience it has been within decimal points of the xe.com rate. As an example my last transaction was $US466 and it came in at $A600.32. The xe.com historical rate for that day was .777

Rats! Missed out on getting some 1:1 OBC! Should have done it when I first read this thread but didn't get around to it until tonight & the Celebrity site is showing OBC in $32AUD increments (aka $25US) increments.

If the dollar plummets I'll get in before they update the web site exchange rate & buy some but will have to keep a close eye on it now.

Oh well, lets hope the Aussie dollar rallies a little for when they debit my card after my cruise!

Yes, very much a different demographic and lots of group bookings for birthdays, weddings etc.:D

We loved our 11 night cruise on the Voyager. I was speaking to a security guard and he said he they had a lot of problems with drunks on the sampler cruise. We had one of the new cabins on Deck 12 with a large wall mounted flat screen TV with a USB port. We did not feel any movement at all.

My OBC I purchased appeared on my account the next day.

Edited by cruisine21

We loved our 11 night cruise on the Voyager. I was speaking to a security guard and he said he they had a lot of problems with drunks on the sampler cruise. We had one of the new cabins on Deck 12 with a large wall mounted flat screen TV with a USB port. We did not feel any movement at all.

Great to hear. We are booked on a 12 night cruise on Voyager in March next year and have also booked a cabin on deck 12.

I thought it wasn't too bad, yes there were some that were over drinking but I didn't see any disorderly conduct.

The seas were calm, and it is a large ship so movement would have been very slight.:D

Hi all.

I had no left over pre-purchased OBC on my recent Rhapsody cruise.

Survived Cyclone Marcia, and didn't even get sea sick.:p

The increase in drink prices was very noticeable. I will be taking the 2 bottles of wine (per cabin) from now on.

I had to put additional funds in at the end.:eek:

Lets see how I go in 2 weeks, when I go again.:D:D:D

Aussie FF,

Did they have the wine and dine drinks package available? And if so did you see what wines that covered?

Did you get any of the drinks packages? And if so was it value for money or too restrictive?

Hi all.

I had no left over pre-purchased OBC on my recent Rhapsody cruise.

Survived Cyclone Marcia, and didn't even get sea sick.:p

The increase in drink prices was very noticeable. I will be taking the 2 bottles of wine (per cabin) from now on.

I had to put additional funds in at the end.:eek:

Lets see how I go in 2 weeks, when I go again.:D:D:D

Good to hear you were not affected by the cyclone or get sea sick.

Drinks are pricey on RCI compared to some cruises and also drinks at home but I am sure you have bought more expensive alcohol at a restaurant or bar as well. The worst thing is that the cost is high everyday rather than just one night out.:(