Grand Turk - conch shells

beshears

I know I could go to the Grand Turk area, but I thought perhaps someone on the Carnival sight has done this, or knows some "recent" information.

I had just read that in Grand Turk, you can pick up conch shells off the beach there, and take them back to the USA. Does this still hold true, as I am a "collector" of shells. :)

I found so many shells and beautiful coral in Grand Turk last November. I brought them all home. I had one conch shell but it was all white and I had trouble getting all the sand out. Happy hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was just in Grand Turk about 3 weeks ago. Picked up a couple of nice shells. Had to dig them out of the sand, but you can find in the sand in shallow water as well. You need to walk to the far end of the beach away from the cruise center. There is a fence you will need to go around and keep going until you reach the beach not in the cruise area. There you will find several conch shells of different sizes. You can take them back on ship only if no creature in them. Security checked ours as we went back on the ship. Happy hunting.

How do you pack these for transport through the airport? Do they have to be in checked baggage or is carrying on okay?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carry on is fine. Take some ziplock bags with you to put them in though.

We put ours in our carry on. I sealed it up tight in a clear plastic bag so that sand wouldn't get all over everything (just couldn't seem to rinse it all out). TSA never made a comment when I went through airport security. Soaked it in hot water and bleach when we got home and now it's a beautiful souvenir sitting on the coffee table :-)

I know I could go to the Grand Turk area, but I thought perhaps someone on the Carnival sight has done this, or knows some "recent" information.

I had just read that in Grand Turk, you can pick up conch shells off the beach there, and take them back to the USA. Does this still hold true, as I am a "collector" of shells. :)

beshears - Thank you for asking! Actually, it depends upon where exactly the conch shell is obtained. It is illegal to remove anything from the National Park on Grand Turk, which extends the full West side of the island. This includes any 'calcareous substance'. The shells of all Caribbean islands are essential to sustaining the beautiful beaches that keep tourists coming back and support the livelihoods of people on the island. If every cruise ship passenger (nearly 1 million per year visit Grand Turk) takes shells, it can have serious consequences for the future. Please think carefully about taking shells, and ensure it is something that will be valued, not just cast aside once back home, as in that case it would be much more valuable remaining in the natural environment. And if you must take a shell, please ensure it is not coming out of the National Park or any marine protected areas (including Gibbs Cay). Thank you for helping keep the Turks and Caicos Islands "Beautiful by Nature"!

Thank you everyone for getting back with me on my question.

I will try to find a few, as I love to have them in my living room on display. they are my MEMORIES. :)

That was a beautiful picture of them too.

You found all of this there? Wow. Nice collection. They allow you to take the sea fan back as well with no questions asked?

Yes, no questions asked. I actually found another purple and white one but gave to my friend. I could not believe how many different items I found. I even have a young man from Peru a large Sea fan. I was way down the beach I believe at Pillary beach. I found most at the high water mark. Not near the water.

Yes, no questions asked. I actually found another purple and white one but gave to my friend. I could not believe how many different items I found. I even have a young man from Peru a large Sea fan. I was way down the beach I believe at Pillary beach. I found most at the high water mark. Not near the water.

That's awesome. So then you didn't find these at the conch graveyard since Pillory Beach is the opposite direction. Darn. We won't be going down that way since we'd have to take a cab or rent a golf cart.

Yes, we took a cab and stayed there for the day. Just check the higher ground where the tide or a storm carried the fans and sea urchins etc. I bet you'll find some treasures. Happy hunting. I have all my finds on my cruise collection table in my family room. The sand dollar was completely dry and so white. It was all in one piece until I packed it. It still looks ok until you pick it up and look at the bottom, it's missing.

I'm a little confused from the different answers. OK, so are you saying we cannot find ANY conch shells in the graveyard area, or they are BETTER found in the Pillbury Beach area?

Someone mentioned that you need to walk away from the cruise center, and go around a fence, etc. Will this lead me to the graveyard to get conch shells?

I asked a cab driver about the Conch graveyard and he said there wasn't one any more. So I just combed the beach myself. Pillory beach that is. If you saw my photo in an earlier post, I found tons of different items.

I asked a cab driver about the Conch graveyard and he said there wasn't one any more. So I just combed the beach myself. Pillory beach that is. If you saw my photo in an earlier post, I found tons of different items.

This is the first I have ever seen someone post there's not a conch graveyard here now.

Can anyone confirm this?

• 2 months later...

We just got back home to K.C. on the 19th from there.

I tried to go by what everyone was telling me of where the point was, etc. I just kept walking, (others were ahead of me looking too) and I really don't think I got all the way to the point, as my time was limited, and I needed to get back to the ship. I found some large ones (none perfect), but the one I brought back was a light blue, and everyone that has seen it, really likes it.:)

Of course, everyone walks differently, and it is not a smooth walk, but once you get on the beach area (away from the space capsule, etc.), for me, it didn't take more than 5 minutes or less before I found the large blue one. I did noticed that not all the shells were close to the water, but higher up on the beach.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I don't think I have posted since I started this question. We did go to Grand Turk last month, and I found the area for the shells.

Actually, if someone had told me it was not too far from the Space Shuttle area, I would have found it a little sooner, but I found it. Actully I didn't walk far at all. I'm sure there are "perfect" shells to find, if you have plenty of time to took for them, but I didn't. As I was walking, I found a large light cream shell with red spots. I carried it for a while, and then came upon a light blue shell about the same size. I wound up bring the light blue one home, and it is now in the center of all my other small shells in my living room. :)

Hello everyone, I don't think I have posted since I started this question. We did go to Grand Turk last month, and I found the area for the shells.

Actually, if someone had told me it was not too far from the Space Shuttle area, I would have found it a little sooner, but I found it. Actully I didn't walk far at all. I'm sure there are "perfect" shells to find, if you have plenty of time to took for them, but I didn't. As I was walking, I found a large light cream shell with red spots. I carried it for a while, and then came upon a light blue shell about the same size. I wound up bring the light blue one home, and it is now in the center of all my other small shells in my living room. :)

Somehow, we missed the Space Shuttle. Is that the one that's in the cruise center? I've seen pictures of it by others, but never saw it ourselves. I have also seen pictures of the whale statue/sculpture on the beach but it wasn't there when we were but we were there in May 2010, so I think that one (the whale) is fairly new. So glad you found the graveyard and a nice shell. Mine aren't perfect either if comparing them to those sold. To me, perfection doesn't matter. I appreciate mine more since I found them. Since we don't live anywhere near a beach, mine are in a basket in our bedroom. :)