Checking a walker along with your luggage?

dixieva

My older sister has purchased one of those nice walkers with a seat for our cruise in April. I am wondering if it is safe to fold it and check it along with our luggage. Has anyone ever done this and if so did the walker arrive to your room without any damage? I'm a little concerned about it and wanted to know the experience of others.

She doesn't need it to board the ship (wheelchair assistance is available) but needs the walker to help her get around on board the ship and in ports.

Thanks for any help or advice!

Have no experience with this so probably shouldn't be giving advice! However, the way they stack suitcases on those pallets I would be worried that someone would put a heavy suitcase on top and possibly break/damage the walker. They shouldn't but you know how they throw that stuff around - thinking of how I have watched at the airport!

Would it be possible for you to fold the walker and when the wheelchair arrives use a bungee-type cord to fasten it to the back of the wheelchair (kind of around the back of the seat) if that makes sense; or have it across her lap.

It's too big to be carried on her lap in the wheelchair and I doubt if it can be strapped to the back of the wheelchair but thanks for the idea!

I am a little concerned about it being damaged if we check it. Might have to figure out a way to put her small carry on bag on the seat (maybe with bungee cords) and have her push it on board not sure she can make that long walk up the ramp with the walker. And I can't push it because it's all I can do to get up the ramp with my carry on since I have asthma and get short of breath easily.

Would love to hear if anyone has actually checked one with success.

My mom takes a walker though it is one without a seat. Hers always arrives, both in the room and in port when getting off the ship, without any problem to the walker. I do appreciate the porters double checking whether she needs it before they put it in with the luggage. It's easy to tell them that she's getting wheelchair help.

One thing to consider is will she need it when she gets on the ship? If she does check it, many times luggage doesn't arrive until dinner time. My DH used a walker as you described and I pushed it to get onboard. I realize you said you have a carryon, but I put the carryon on the seat and pushed the walker while he rode in a wheelchair.

Once onboard, the wheelchair is taken off the ship to use for another passenger, so unless she is able to get around on her own while on the ship, checking the walker is not a good idea.

She will be fine once on board the ship until the walker arrives. After we get lunch in the WJ we always find her a comfortable seat and she will rest until our room is ready. She just has a problem with walking for long distances with no place to sit and rest.

But thanks for the advice!

I know I cannot push a walker with a carry on in the seat because of my asthma and shortness of breath. So that is not an option.

I'm sure we will figure something out.

My older sister has purchased one of those nice walkers with a seat for our cruise in April. I am wondering if it is safe to fold it and check it along with our luggage. Has anyone ever done this and if so did the walker arrive to your room without any damage? I'm a little concerned about it and wanted to know the experience of others.

She doesn't need it to board the ship (wheelchair assistance is available) but needs the walker to help her get around on board the ship and in ports.

Thanks for any help or advice!

no way would I trust it to any checked service( plane train or ship). hand carry that sucker. luggage can take several hour sto get to the cabin, plus you cannot access the cabins until 1 or later she will need it to get around until then.

They WILL NOT check it with luggage at Port Canaveral. My wife cannot walk and is in a power wheelchair. We usually bring a manual chair for back-up and to use in less accessible ports. At PC they refused to check the back-up chair saying they could not be responsible for damage, etc. I had to man-handle the backup on board. Not sure about other ports but PC will only handle luggage - they wouldn't even check golf clubs.

Now when we got on board I did go directly to our room even though it was before 1PM and was allowed to leave the backup in our room.

Lesson for you is to check your specific port of embarkation for their rules.

Thanks for all of the advice. As I have said she will not need it once she gets on board on embarkation day. She does not use a walker ever at home. This is just for long walks to help her have a place to sit and rest when needed.

I think I have decided to just get on board with it. I will end up having to push it with my carry on put on the seat. Might take me an hour to get up the ramp but I will make it.

Thank you everyone!

My husband used a walker with a seat, and he also had a scooter - he always used the scooter to board the ship and we always put a luggage tag on and checked the walker in with our luggage. Never once had a problem, the walker was always delivered to cabin, never had an issue with damage. Maybe we were just lucky...but based on our experience I think you will be fine with checking it with luggage.

I have walking issues also. I bought a VERY light weight walker (6 lb) off of Amazon mainly for the seat. I use the wheelchair to get up the usual ramp and Hubby puts the carryon on the seat.

www.amazon.com/HomCom-Folding-Aluminum-Medical-Rollator/dp/B00J4TETR8[/img]

It's light enough that I can put it into and out of my car myself.:)

If you don't see the Pic follow the link.

Thanks for all of the advice. As I have said she will not need it once she gets on board on embarkation day. She does not use a walker ever at home. This is just for long walks to help her have a place to sit and rest when needed.

I think I have decided to just get on board with it. I will end up having to push it with my carry on put on the seat. Might take me an hour to get up the ramp but I will make it.

Thank you everyone!

I like to think that there are good people everywhere - are you registered on your Meet and Mingle - perhaps you could make friends with someone ahead of time who would give you a hand.

Or, as you are sitting waiting to board see if there is a teenager or younger more agile person that might be willing to help.

Met some great people cruising! Hopefully someone will step up to see if you are okay. Failing that - ask for two wheelchairs and let the staff worry about how to get you both up the ramp with baggage etc.

Have a great cruise!

Recently sailed with my parents and they had a walker & a scooter. I checked with the Special Needs Department and they recommended that we board the ship with my Dad's Walker so it was not damaged by the baggage handlers.

We did use the walker seat to hold one of our carry on bags and it worked great during the boarding process.

The airport will put you in a wheelchair and transport you to the gate. She can hold it. If she can walk down the ramp to the plane she can. If not they will take her to the plane entrance where she can walk in. From there they will take the walker and check it into luggage. Just let the ticket takers know she has the walker. After the plane empties upon arrival they will retrieve the walker for you. They will also call for wheelchair assistance and they will take you to get luggage and take you to the door. Been there done that more than once..............................................................RADICAL PS YOU CAN WALK IN THE PLANE USING THE SEAT BACKS LIKE A WALKER.......TRY TO GET A ROW TOWARD THE FRONT THATS WHY WE LIKE FRONTIER WITH THE EXTRA LEG ROOM IN FRONT

At the port they do have wheelchair assistance the same as the airport, but you might have to wait.They do take you up the ramp into the ship. They try to take it back when you get on board but sometimes you can get them to the room. Also if you have a wheelchair or scooter in your room someone can go get that. The scooter option is the best because its hard to push wheelchair on the carpets. The small and medium scooter will fit in the doors of a balcony cabin but a little crowded. Hope this helps......................RADICAL

We are not flying to the port so don't have to worry about that.

We have cruised many times from Baltimore and she has used the wheelchair assistance in boarding. This will be the first time she is taking a walker.

But thanks for the advice.