West Coast Ports

jamesnnb

I don't understand nor agree with the arguments whether the water going into the water is intentional or not. When you give your luggage to the porter who is union and it is transferred to a forklift operator who is union to be transferred onto the ship, it should end up on the ship. NOT IN THE WATER !!

They take on the responsibility to handle your belongings properly. Whether accidental, intentional, or incompetence, the job is theirs to complete properly, and the increasing number of incidents show this is not being done.

I don't understand nor agree with the arguments whether the water going into the water is intentional or not. When you give your luggage to the porter who is union and it is transferred to a forklift operator who is union to be transferred onto the ship, it should end up on the ship. NOT IN THE WATER !!

They take on the responsibility to handle your belongings properly. Whether accidental, intentional, or incompetence, the job is theirs to complete properly, and the increasing number of incidents show this is not being done.

How many more instances are you aware of where luggage ends up in the water?

How many more instances are you aware of where luggage ends up in the water?

Enough !!!!

I think one is too many !! These people are supposed to be professionals !

Many of the numbers you are seeking are available on CC boards.

Edited by swedish weave

I was walking the San Francisco waterfront yesterday looking at the Star and Queen Elizabeth. I was also paying special attention to the porters and other shoreside staff. Everyone seemed to be doing just what they are supposed to do and in fact I thought the porters were very professional. No passenger lines and lots of hustle!

Edited by MTJSR

"In 2002 we were on a Carnival ship out of San Diego when the Union workers strike was in full force. They started to offload luggage, then came to a halt. The dock workers were pulled off the job to unload a

Military ship. We didn't start disembarkation till noon."

Just an FYI about the 2002 labor issue between the Longshoremen and the shipping companies -- the longshoremen did not strike, the companies locked them out for 10 or 11 days or so. As you state here - they showed up for work but the companies locked them out and they were pulled from their jobs. As in any labor dispute - there are many other issues to sort through, not just wages. People need to realize that they cannot trust all that is said in the media. Either the story is completely untrue or not all the facts are made known.

Edited by Kahealani13

"In 2002 we were on a Carnival ship out of San Diego when the Union workers strike was in full force. They started to offload luggage, then came to a halt. The dock workers were pulled off the job to unload a

Military ship. We didn't start disembarkation till noon."

Just an FYI about the 2002 labor issue between the Longshoremen and the shipping companies -- the longshoremen did not strike, the companies locked them out for 10 or 11 days or so. As you state here - they showed up for work but the companies locked them out and they were pulled from their jobs. As in any labor dispute - there are many other issues to sort through, not just wages. People need to realize that they cannot trust all that is said in the media. Either the story is completely untrue or not all the facts are made known.

The lockout this year is because the companies no longer want to pay wages for little or no work.

And in your example of workers in 2002 abandoning the cruise ship work for military cargo shows that it was the workers that did not show up in sufficient numbers as they were not locked out of either the cruise ship or military ship work.

It is not likely anyone here on CC filmed or saw the longshoremen actually dumping the luggage into the bay. Remember out of 3,600 passengers only a very small percent even know about cruisecritic let alone post here. I did see some of the wet luggage BTW. I do not understand WHY it is so important for some of you here on this post to have a eye witness account of what has happened. Those that were there should be good enough evidence. Otherwise it seems we are being called liars. It happened, PERIOD!

It would be useful to CC readers, I think, if we could have folks reporting on whether or not luggage and supplies are being loaded on the outgoing cruise ships or whether the union problems are affecting the actual cruises.

At least one person, lately, reported things were going okay this last weekend at ONE port. Any other reports of current conditions? Do we know if it is likely to spread to/affect East Coast ports?

Long Beach---

The lanes going into the parking structure were blocked. Everyone was directed to go thru the drop-off lanes. Major problems because 99% of the Inspiration's pax are local on the 3 day cruise.

No supplied are being loaded today (Monday) because Friday is the regular loading day.

It is not likely anyone here on CC filmed or saw the longshoremen actually dumping the luggage into the bay. Remember out of 3,600 passengers only a very small percent even know about cruisecritic let alone post here. I did see some of the wet luggage BTW. I do not understand WHY it is so important for some of you here on this post to have a eye witness account of what has happened. Those that were there should be good enough evidence. Otherwise it seems we are being called liars. It happened, PERIOD!

There is a difference between hearsay and eyewitness testimony. If this should end up in court, that will be important. No one is accusing you of lying that you saw wet luggage. An attorney might ask you if you saw the luggage become wet or if it was wet when you first saw it. However, you want to believe that it was dumped into the water by disgruntled persons, so trying to demonstrate the nature of objective reality is hopeless. :( Happy cruising to you.

Edited by shredie

Long Beach---

The lanes going into the parking structure were blocked. Everyone was directed to go thru the drop-off lanes. Major problems because 99% of the Inspiration's pax are local on the 3 day cruise.

No supplied are being loaded today (Monday) because Friday is the regular loading day.

What did the locals end up doing? Park at the airport and take cabs back to the pier :eek:?

Anyone know if a 24inch suitcase will go through security scanners?

It is just a bit larger than a carry on(22inch).

Leaving shortly from the West coast (LA)

Yes, it will. Our friend embarked on Crown Princess for the NYE cruise from San Pedro with his 24" bag and it fit just fine.

There is a difference between hearsay and eyewitness testimony. If this should end up in court, that will be important. No one is accusing you of lying that you saw wet luggage. An attorney might ask you if you saw the luggage become wet or if it was wet when you first saw it. However, you want to believe that it was dumped into the water by disgruntled persons, so trying to demonstrate the nature of objective reality is hopeless. :( Happy cruising to you.

If the luggage was dry when the dockworker accepted it and wet when it got to the ship, the dockworkers are responsible. Anything else is just fluff. I wouldn't let an attorney get away with that type of nonsense.

If the luggage was dry when the dockworker accepted it and wet when it got to the ship, the dockworkers are responsible. Anything else is just fluff. I wouldn't let an attorney get away with that type of nonsense.

Of course you wouldn't. :p

Do you know about what time that was? Trying to plan what time to arrive on Friday.

All day. We arrived around 2pm. Friends encountered it before the Dome opened. We had no problem but they had a longish wait as everyone was funneled thru. 2,000 pax who drive in will create a bit of a wait.

I have been cruisng since 1973. I am in the habit of asking where some of the food items are bought. Cruiselines have lots of countries to buy their foods.

West Coast doesn't have all the types of foods that the cruise lines serve.

They have to buy their tropical fruits from other countries where they have their trusted vendors. I know for a fact that the catfish was bought in India. NCL buys Australian lobsters which s the best in the world according to my taste buds.

Regarding the porters..... they always do a great job because I always tip them. They do work for a private company that keeps an eye on them.

If it is raining the luggage will get wet so I use plastic bags to pack my clothes. I have flown on air lines where my luggage got all wet when the luggage was left for hours while the plane was being fixed.

I plan to stay positive because after my adult son died of a brain tumor I told myself that nothing could be as bad as losing my son. So what if I get my luggage late to my cabin. I still plan to enjoy my cruise. Plus, I can also find a ship cruise worker to take my luggage to my cabin since I am handicapped if the porters are not available. LucyR.

The porters are longshoremen and are not allowed the cruise ships. In Seattle they do not have porters(Longshoreman) to take your luggage, but you put your luggage on a conveyer belt yourself. In the Seattle Times , they posted what a full time West coast longshoremen makes- it is $180,000/year and retirement, they get $80,000/yr. I have a friend who graduated from the Univ of Washington and found that the best paying job is a longshoremen, he is a now retired longshoremen. They work a 6 hour shift but get paid for 8 hrs. He was a crane operator and there are 3 operators assigned to the crane, each one working 2 hours in the 6 hour shift not bad for a 10 hour week making $180,000/year. I don't know why a mediator isn't involved in this labor dispute that has caused great damage to the farmers (fruit exports from Washington and businesses) , but I think it is political not to have a mediator.

I DON'T AGREE !!! I may be influenced by seeing wet luggage and having my bag torn open.

However, I don't have relatives who work or worked in that union.

I am amazed how some people think wet luggage dumped in the bay didn't really happen. They want video's, pictures, etc. How about those of us that were there and saw with our own eyes a whole cage of luggage going into the bay. I felt fortunate my luggage did not go into the Bay. Maybe those that post on CC did not have wet luggage , but sure as Hell doesn't mean it didn't happen. Trust me, IT DID HAPPEN and No I do not work for any union. It Happened on Dec 19,2014 in San Francisco.

Edited by timetravler

Indeed there were many bags which were totally soaked that I saw myself the evening of Dec 19th. The was a large collection of them and people were there trying to see what they could salvage, my own eyes saw this. My bags did not get dumped in the bay but I did watch them sit in a cage for over 6 hours on the dock while the longshoremen ate, drank and laughed at the sight of them. Finally got bags about 10 or 11 lt

Indeed there were many bags which were totally soaked that I saw myself the evening of Dec 19th. The was a large collection of them and people were there trying to see what they could salvage, my own eyes saw this. My bags did not get dumped in the bay but I did watch them sit in a cage for over 6 hours on the dock while the longshoremen ate, drank and laughed at the sight of them. Finally got bags about 10 or 11 that evening.