Can wine be brought aboard? If so, how much?

carnivalman

Surprised to read to read on Trip Advisor they confiscated a bottle of wine at embarkation and said there would be a $30 corkage fee. I can understand if you bring it to a restaurant. But if you keep it in your room?

On NCL, it is $15 per bottle brought onboard. They do not care where you drink it, or if it has a cork. As to confiscation, that is only if they are not planning to drink it, but are going to take it home later.

Almost a daily topic on these boards.

Edited by garycarla

On our last 10 day cruise, we brought 10 bottles. $15 corkage per bottle. Don't bother trying to hide them, they WILL be found. But once your bottle has been opened, the server will gladly have it stored for you (if you like) to be served in ANY of the ship restaurants when you're ready. Or you can take it with you. We found it to be worth the $15 for us to bring wine that we enjoy, that would cost twice as much on the ship.

Surprised to read to read on Trip Advisor they confiscated a bottle of wine at embarkation and said there would be a $30 corkage fee. I can understand if you bring it to a restaurant. But if you keep it in your room?

When you embark there is a table you go to and pay the $15 corkage fee for any bottle of wine you bring onboard. The large bottles will cost you more. I prefer certain Napa wines so I will bring a few bottles with me. With the corkage it will run me about $35 but I will be enjoying the wines I like.

I remember seeing wine packages offered for buy 4 and get the 5th one free. The markup is about $20 per bottle. The lowest price for a bottle is somewhere around $28.

On Carnival we can bring one bottle per person without paying a corkage fee and I love that:D

NCL FAQ

"Can I bringing alcohol on board?

All guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area. Wine & Champagne Policy Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below. 750 ml Bottle: $15.00 1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board."

Look at the wine packages NCL offers and compare prices with the wine you will be bringing adding in the $15 corkage fee. The wine I like is $10 a bottle... Add the $15 corkage fee that makes it $25. NCL sells it for $29. I'm not even going to bother lugging it on board :rolleyes: