freestyle plus promo. what am i missing??

S.S.Oceanlover

I am looking at booking the Getaway for Feb 7 2016. Oceanview cabin.

It ask to pick the OBC, the free dining package, or the free beverage package.

If i was to pick the OBC we only get $50 per stateroom? If in fact that is correct why would anybody choose that if they can get the free dining package that is valued at $119 pp or the free beverage package which is valued at $300-$400pp.

Or is there a glitch in the system only offering $50 OBC?

Bill

I am looking at booking the Getaway for Feb 7 2016. Oceanview cabin.

It ask to pick the OBC, the free dining package, or the free beverage package.

If i was to pick the OBC we only get $50 per stateroom? If in fact that is correct why would anybody choose that if they can get the free dining package that is valued at $119 pp or the free beverage package which is valued at $300-$400pp.

Or is there a glitch in the system only offering $50 OBC?

Bill

Lol you'll be surprised how many people will come on this post and argue that the $50 OBC is much better than the UDP or UBP [emoji23]

This was the OBC for the last promo:

Per stateroom in U.S. Dollars and will be applied to 1-2 guests on the reservation.

$200 OBC for Oceanview/Balcony/MiniSuite, $300 OBC for Haven and Suite bookings per stateroom

Onboard credit has no monetary value and is non-transferable. It may not be used toward onboard service charges or pre-purchased activities.

This is the OBC for the current promo:

$25 OBC for Studio and Insides, $50 OBC for Ocean views, $75 Balconies, $100 Mini Suites, $200 for Suites, and $300 OBC for Havens per stateroom

The following ships/categories also qualify for $300 OBC- Sun SB, Sky SB, Spirit SB, Dawn S1, Star S1, and Pride of America SA.

Edited by Bobbye

Although it wouldn't be of sufficient value to me, if I were someone who didn't drink sodas or alcohol and just enjoyed the complimentary beverages, and if I didn't care to dine in any of the specialty restaurants, then the $50 is worth more to me.

Of course, that $50 is such a small amount that I figure that pretty much everyone who cruises would get at least that much value from the beverage package or specialty dining so as to make the onboard credit the least valuable option. Still, it is possible that someone might find that the best option for them.

Although it wouldn't be of sufficient value to me, if I were someone who didn't drink sodas or alcohol and just enjoyed the complimentary beverages, and if I didn't care to dine in any of the specialty restaurants, then the $50 is worth more to me.

Of course, that $50 is such a small amount that I figure that pretty much everyone who cruises would get at least that much value from the beverage package or specialty dining so as to make the onboard credit the least valuable option. Still, it is possible that someone might find that the best option for them.

Yep it's a big world and everybody is different so I'm sure there would be someone that it works for.

Not much of a drinker but I could drink 3 beers a day for 7 days and still be ahead of the game or eat at 2 specialty restaurants and that would cost me more than $25 pp.

Bill

My husband and I would probably fall into this category of taking the $50 over the other two. He would not enjoy the specialty food restaurants, yes we've tried (he doesn't like many foods and definitely doesn't like to experience new foods, and that's fine with me, I can "suffer" the delicious choices of the Dining Room / O'Sheehans foods. :)). We just got back from the Getaway where we had the Freestyle Option choice when we booked. I had debated between the $200 OBC or the UBP. As it turned out, I only ordered two drinks the entire cruise (I enjoy the wine I bring onboard), so we still ended up with OBC last day. Applied it towards purchase of two FCC's, definitely a better value for us. Yes, we are probably in the minority, just saying there are some of us who might find the $50 more useful (in our case it would cover the fee of a show, such as Illusionarium) rather than forcing ourselves to eat or drink what we don't really want. Everyone is different though!

As it turned out, I only ordered two drinks the entire cruise (I enjoy the wine I bring onboard)

While I'm all for hauling wine onboard and paying the corkage fees when I don't have free UBP (it's nice to have but I wouldn't pay for it), if I have the option of not to do it, I much rather would take the free UBP and not sweat with hauling the wines.

But as you said, to each their own. :)

My husband and I would probably fall into this category of taking the $50 over the other two. He would not enjoy the specialty food restaurants, yes we've tried (he doesn't like many foods and definitely doesn't like to experience new foods, and that's fine with me, I can "suffer" the delicious choices of the Dining Room / O'Sheehans foods. :)). We just got back from the Getaway where we had the Freestyle Option choice when we booked. I had debated between the $200 OBC or the UBP. As it turned out, I only ordered two drinks the entire cruise (I enjoy the wine I bring onboard), so we still ended up with OBC last day. Applied it towards purchase of two FCC's, definitely a better value for us. Yes, we are probably in the minority, just saying there are some of us who might find the $50 more useful (in our case it would cover the fee of a show, such as Illusionarium) rather than forcing ourselves to eat or drink what we don't really want. Everyone is different though!

Of any kind???

While I agree that everyone is different, you can get soda and wine by the glass as well as cocktails and liquor. We had all three packages (UBP, UDP and $300 OBC) on our recent cruise on the Dawn and, even though I rarely drink and my wife never does, we still got full advantage out of the UBP. A glass of wine with dinner or a frozen virgin concoction by the pool, sodas, the occasional beer and I managed to get hooked on Bloody Marys! We also bought the future cruise certificate and will definitely choose the UBP next time and pay for the other stuff if we want it.

Extreme budgeters who don't drink might opt for the small OBC. They might reason "I don't drink and can already eat for free, so I might as well take the $50 and put it towards a shore excursion (or something else)."

Not that I have any idea what it's like to live inside that mind. The value of the free drink package is 90% of the reason we booked.

This promotion was so good I revoked my current cruise and received 611.00 credit but loss my 100 . 00 obc (who cares). I was able to book another cruise in a 2 family suite received all the promo and out of the six of us only one of us drinks alcohol. ...but it's worth every penny I saved.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Of any kind???

While I agree that everyone is different, you can get soda and wine by the glass as well as cocktails and liquor. We had all three packages (UBP, UDP and $300 OBC) on our recent cruise on the Dawn and, even though I rarely drink and my wife never does, we still got full advantage out of the UBP. A glass of wine with dinner or a frozen virgin concoction by the pool, sodas, the occasional beer and I managed to get hooked on Bloody Marys! We also bought the future cruise certificate and will definitely choose the UBP next time and pay for the other stuff if we want it.

You are right, I ordered and drank only 2 alcoholic drinks. Drinking alcohol makes me sleepy :rolleyes:. With dinner, I like only the specific wine I brought onboard, and the two bottles I take easily lasts me 7 days -- husband doesn't drink wine. He also didn't have any desire for alcohol. He is addicted to his evening Pepsi and did bring a few onboard, but he's not supposed to drink it (think kidney stones and pain), so having an unlimited supply may have been detrimental! :eek:

We thought NCL's lemonade was unusually good, and did drink that if we happened to be at the buffet for lunch. Other than that, we do drink and enjoy water -- and the ship's water tastes good!

I totally agree the UBP is convenient and probably makes sense for most people. Not trying to be cheap, cause we would have ordered and paid for anything we wanted to drink (or eat for that matter), just chiming in that we are one of those for whom the "value" is not there... in response to the original question from the OP "what am I missing" :confused: