Have a scooter and no accessible cabinis available

mexico8

We have booked a 28 day October cruise on the NCL Spirit. There are only four inside accessible cabins on the Spirit and none are available. We have booked an IE cabin and the accessible cabins are IA. Not sure if we would have to pay more if one does become available. I sent an e-mail inquiring about the price difference. I don't know if cruise lines can charge more for an inside accessible cabin than a non-accessible cabin? Not sure why one is IA and the other is IE.

If no accessible cabin does become available I am worried that my Travelscoot will not fit through the door or in the room. The cabin is only 149 square feet so it's not very big. I can walk but I am not allowed to leave my scooter in the hallway and it does need to be plugged in overnight to charge it. I don't need the special shower either - just the space for my scooter. Any suggestions?

Wendy

Edited by mexico8

If you could get a side entry cabin, and if your scooter will fit through a 21" space, you might be able to do it. They will tell you that cabin doorways are 23", but the doors do not open flush to the wall, so you have to subtract 2" for the thickness of the door. These are pictures of a side entry inside cabin - sorry, I do not know cabin number.

147464696207_0_ALB.jpg

The door is to the left, between the foot of the bed, and the bathroom wall. The usual cabin would have the entry at the end of the hallway between the bathroom and closets. In those cabins there is a chair in the position where the door is in the side entry cabin. And that is what you see in the standard cabin diagram for inside cabins.

337464696207_0_ALB.jpg

If you push the beds together, you could park the scooter at the foot of the beds, but if you have a cabin with upper bunks, you would have to remember to duck to avoid bruises. The outlet will be at the desk. EM

We have booked a 28 day October cruise on the NCL Spirit. There are only four inside accessible cabins on the Spirit and none are available. We have booked an IE cabin and the accessible cabins are IA. Not sure if we would have to pay more if one does become available. I sent an e-mail inquiring about the price difference. I don't know if cruise lines can charge more for an inside accessible cabin than a non-accessible cabin? Not sure why one is IA and the other is IE.

If no accessible cabin does become available I am worried that my Travelscoot will not fit through the door or in the room. The cabin is only 149 square feet so it's not very big. I can walk but I am not allowed to leave my scooter in the hallway and it does need to be plugged in overnight to charge it. I don't need the special shower either - just the space for my scooter. Any suggestions?

Wendy

Cruise lines can't charge any more for an accessible cabin than a standard cabin for the same class of cabin. For example a IA Accessible can't cost more than a IA standard at the time of booking.

Because the cabin you booked is IE than if you change to a IA Accessible NCL can re-price the cabin since you're changing categories not because you're going from a standard inside to an accessible inside cabin. The difference between a IE cabins and IA cabins is location.

Since all IA accessible cabins are currently booked NCL will most likely not be able to quote you a price. The price will be dependent on supply vs. demand for all IA class of cabins at the time one becomes available. To get an idea of what the difference would be if an IA accessible cabin was available at this moment in time just go on line and do a mock booking for standard IA cabin. Note that the price quoted is for this moment in time and will mostly fluctuate in the future.

Standard cabin doors on most cruise ships are 23" from door frame to door frame. However that measurement does not allow for the fact that the door does not open flush to the wall. Therefore 2' has to be deducted for the depth of the door when open making the total door with clearance 21". Believe the Travelscoot is 23" wide when unfolded therefore you will not be able to ride it through the door. You will have to get off the scooter and tilt it on an angle to get it through the door. If you search this forum using the keyword travelscoot you will find that a member previously posted something regarding this a while back ( probably within the past 1 1/2 years) along with a photo of how she stores it folded while in the cabin. If memory serves me correctly the member's name that posted the photo was nieciez so you could check her profile and looked through her previous posts.

Edited by xxoocruiser

If you book cabin 10686 the door may not be any wider but it opens into an oddly shaped cabin that is quite large with plentyof room for the scooter....getting into the bathroom is snug.....there are pics on here sonewhere....I did a lot of research on the spirit before finding a great sale on princess as I needed scooter space....hope it works out for you!

Click on this link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1781931 than scroll down to post # 8 to read how nieciez explains how to get the Travelscoot through standard cabin door .

Couldn't find the photo of it being stored in the cabin folded but that's self explanatory anyway.

My dh says the best part of cruising for me is cruise critic. I have to agree with him. I can't believe how much trouble people go to on this site to help others. I wish I was more computer literate to be able to copy threads etc. Thank you to everyone who answered my post. I so appreciate your advice and help.

NCL access desk told me today that if one of the 4 accessible cabins is available I would not have to pay a supplement to go from IE category to IA category. It would be a complimentary upgrade. I am often puzzled by the categories - i.e., our IE is mid-ship and so is the IA. Don't know why one is priced higher than the other but I will be happy if I get an accessible cabin.

Thanks again everyone.

I have a TravelScoot and I love it! I went on the Carnival Splendor and we did not have a handicap room. From what was said on the web site I was expecting to have to tilt or break down my scooter. We found that getting off and rolling it in front first it touched the side of door jam but made it through. Then to leave the cabin I still needed to go front first. I couldn't understand why but that is how it worked. I park it under the desk removing the chair.

As for a handicap room becoming available it is true it could happen. Don't relay on someone else to find it for you. Check the cruise and the cabins more than once a day. When it comes up don't wait a minute get on the phone. Someone else is trying to get it too. Good luck and happy scooting!

• 2 weeks later...
My dh says the best part of cruising for me is cruise critic. I have to agree with him. I can't believe how much trouble people go to on this site to help others. I wish I was more computer literate to be able to copy threads etc. Thank you to everyone who answered my post. I so appreciate your advice and help.

NCL access desk told me today that if one of the 4 accessible cabins is available I would not have to pay a supplement to go from IE category to IA category. It would be a complimentary upgrade. I am often puzzled by the categories - i.e., our IE is mid-ship and so is the IA. Don't know why one is priced higher than the other but I will be happy if I get an accessible cabin.

Thanks again everyone.

We had an unexpected need for an accessible cabin and you will find that often after final payment more of these cabins become available. That is what made a difference for us and when upgrades were offered it freed some up as well...stay in touch with NCL access desk. They were able to get us an accessible cabin, mind at a cost but it is an AFT location so we are thrilled. I found them most helpful. When our TA called they were told nothing available...go figure. Once we got email back from NCL our TA then called and spoke to a supervisor and it was booked. Hope all goes well for your trip.

Even with a side entrance and the scooter fits in the cabin, you may find the cabin a tight fit and you'll be tripping over the scooter. 149 sq ft isn't enough room. The non-accessible cabins also have a slight step to get into the shower.

We know it will be too small and are really hoping one of the four accessible cabins becomes available for us. No problem for me with the shower - I can walk short distances just fine. Need the scooter for longer distances.

:)

Thank you to Hugs also and Tee for info.

Depending on the cruise line, some ocean view cabins may be larger than 149 sq feet. Sometimes with price drops these cabins are only slightly more than an inside.

Best regards

I still have eight months until the cruise so hopefully we can get a larger cabin - either accessible or just bigger. I can always fold down my Travelscoot but it's a little awkward to do it in the narrow hallway of a ship. Hoping not to have to do that every time I want to use it.

After final payment cabins free up. It's happened to me and my mom. On one cruise I was calling the access desk daily. I know I was desperate. :)Sometimes people cancel or other times TA don't sell all of their cabins on hold and they are released back to the cruise line.

If you find yourself switching to Getaway or Breakaway here's a link to a spreadsheet with cabin square footage.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1843049

Edited by TeeChi

Click on this link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1781931 than scroll down to post # 8 to read how nieciez explains how to get the Travelscoot through standard cabin door .

Couldn't find the photo of it being stored in the cabin folded but that's self explanatory anyway.

Like XXOOcruiser state I've traveled on a number of cruises with my Travelscoot in a standard cabin with no problem at all. Here is a pic of a non-handicapped cabin on Carnival and shows how I "parked" my Travelscoot and it was completly out of the way. I've also sailed in RCI inside cabins that were MUCH smaller and had no problem finding a spot to put the scooter that was out of the way, unfortunately I don't have a pic. The crazy thing with the RCI inside cabins the doorway was wide enough that I could manage to "drive-in" but yet the larger balcony cabin on Carnival I had to get off the scooter and do the slight tipping of the scooter to get it through.

Transatlantic%2520Dream%2520%2528452%2529.JPG

Edited by nieciez

I still have eight months until the cruise so hopefully we can get a larger cabin - either accessible or just bigger. I can always fold down my Travelscoot but it's a little awkward to do it in the narrow hallway of a ship. Hoping not to have to do that every time I want to use it.

Have you contacted the cruise line? When I spoke with NCL to book a cabin with an accessible bath, they upgraded me from inside to ocean view since the inside accessible cabins were booked.

• 2 weeks later...
Have you contacted the cruise line? When I spoke with NCL to book a cabin with an accessible bath, they upgraded me from inside to ocean view since the inside accessible cabins were booked.

I had contacted NCL awhile ago about needing extra room. Recently found a very large inside cabin that costs $600 more per person. NCL have given me the large cabin as a complimentary upgrade. I am so grateful to them and don't have to worry about space for my scooter. I also don't have to get an accessible cabin that someone else might require. I don't need the special shower etc. - just space for my scooter. The large cabin will be perfect.:)

There is so much great information on cruise critic. That's where I found out about the extra large inside cabin. Also found out that I could book in Canadian dollars instead of US dollars so I saved a lot of money doing that.

Wendy