Cruise booked!

hiccups

After all the back and forth and multiple quotes for a Basel-Amsterdam cruise, we ended up with something else! While looking at Uniworld I noticed a date we wanted to travel had the Legendary Rhine and Moselle tour offered at $2500 off per couple. I guess because of the different dates of the cruise, airfare was cheaper, too! So now instead of the 7 night Rhine, we'll do the 12 night Rhine and Moselle, and the TA included two nights pre-cruise in Amsterdam. Aquarium cabin, but I was willing to give up the balcony for the longer trip.

Thank goodness I decided to carry over a week of vacation from last year--wouldn't have had enough time off otherwise!

That looks lovely! We did the Rhine last year but not the Moselle. If it were me, I'd prefer extra time on the other end of the cruise, as Switzerland is more interesting to us than Amsterdam. But I think you will have a fantastic time!

Don't worry about the lack of a balcony. The view is much better from the top deck. And since river ships are small, it's only a few steps away!

If it were me, I'd prefer extra time on the other end of the cruise, as Switzerland is more interesting to us than Amsterdam. But I think you will have a fantastic time!

I would have preferred Switzerland, too, but for some reason the only extension offered by Uniworld for this cruise is pre-cruise. Since it was free through the TA, we took it. We checked with another TA that discounted the trip rather than offering the extension, but that estimate wasn't much cheaper so we went with the two nights.

I figure not spending time in Switzerland now is just a reason to go back another time :D

I like the way you think! You need at least a week in Switzerland to scratch the surface. We have taken a few small bites and are eager to return.

I prefer Switzerland to Amsterdam because Switzerland is amazing - not because Amsterdam is bad. I'm glad you decided on such a nice itinerary.

Enjoy!! We almost always travel Aquarium Class - by choice - and don't miss the balcony (French or otherwise...)

I must say that I feel that extra days in Amsterdam would interest me more than an extra day or two in Switzerland - especially if you end in Basel. We weren't impressed with Basel when we did the Rhine with Uniworld. I have been to Geneva - and enjoyed that, so it was a shock when we encountered *really* rude people in Basel (in more than one place....).

We spent an extra 2 days in Amsterdam when we did our Tulip Time Cruise - and still felt we could have used an extra day or two.

Fran

hiccups,

We did the Uniworld precruise package in Amesterdam last July. We had a great experience. The local Uniworld guide was really helpful and stayed right on site at the motel throughout the precruise. She took us on a walking tour that we enjoyed. We also did a couple of optional excursions in the precruise that we enjoyed. One was the maritime museum and the other was a trip to a cheese making demonstration then an open air museum that had windmills, wooden shoe making demonstration and a number of other interesting places.

But by far was the Anne Frank museum that we did on our own. I purchased the tickets on line in advance so avoided the 2 plus hour line to buy tickets. You just show up at your apointed time, ring a door bell, and go in. We also paid a little extra for an english presentation that lasts about 30 min prior to walking through the house. We thought it was well worth it.

I think there were about 10 couples who had the precruise stay with Uniworld. It was really nice because we got to know most of them prior to the cruise which enhanced the cruise experience.

Have a wonderful time

hiccups,

We did the Uniworld precruise package in Amesterdam last July. We had a great experience. The local Uniworld guide was really helpful and stayed right on site at the motel throughout the precruise. She took us on a walking tour that we enjoyed. We also did a couple of optional excursions in the precruise that we enjoyed. One was the maritime museum and the other was a trip to a cheese making demonstration then an open air museum that had windmills, wooden shoe making demonstration and a number of other interesting places.

But by far was the Anne Frank museum that we did on our own. I purchased the tickets on line in advance so avoided the 2 plus hour line to buy tickets. You just show up at your apointed time, ring a door bell, and go in. We also paid a little extra for an english presentation that lasts about 30 min prior to walking through the house. We thought it was well worth it.

I think there were about 10 couples who had the precruise stay with Uniworld. It was really nice because we got to know most of them prior to the cruise which enhanced the cruise experience.

Have a wonderful time

I am curious about our pre-cruise. As I mentioned, it was offered through our TA, but I know it's the same hotel as the Uniworld-books pre-cruise. I'm not sure if we'll be on our own for transportation from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to the ship--hopefully at least for the hotel to ship we can go with the Uniworld group since they'll be at the hotel.

The first day of the Uniworld cruise includes an Amsterdam tour, so if we aren't able to tag along on anything offered by Uniworld pre-cruise, that's okay. Of course, if the tours are optional I can't imagine they'd turn down our money :)

I want to get tickets for Anne Frank, although I haven't run it by DH. This might be a time when I make the arrangements and say, "Oh, here's what we're doing!" LOL. Luckily he's easy-going.

hiccups,

More then half of the people at the motel for the precruise were there as you will be. Their TA provided the room. But they were welcomed in the precruise meeting the first evening and were welcomed to take part in the optional excursions. They really didn't treat anyone differently based on whether they purchased the pre cruise or provided by the TA. As I recall there was an optional excursion the morning of the day embarkation and everyone took it. So we were all on the excursion bus and they took everyone to the ship at the end of the excursions. I believe the cost for the optional excursions were 39 euros each. We felt it was well worth it.

Definitely surprise your husband with the Anne Frank house. An absolute must when in Amsterdam

Have a great trip

If you're on a pre-cruise tour with Uniworld, and you booked your air through them OR are flying in during their pre-determined time frame and you get them your flight info at least 45 days prior to departure (check your confirmation for details), they will pick you up at the airport. If you come in early and aren't on a tour booked through them, they generally won't include your transfers.

What's unclear here is if your Uniworld offered the Uniworld pre-cruise package, or some other sort of pre-cruise stay. Could you clarify that? Your TA should be able to clearly give you this information.

If you're on a pre-cruise tour with Uniworld, and you booked your air through them OR are flying in during their pre-determined time frame and you get them your flight info at least 45 days prior to departure (check your confirmation for details), they will pick you up at the airport. If you come in early and aren't on a tour booked through them, they generally won't include your transfers.

What's unclear here is if your Uniworld offered the Uniworld pre-cruise package, or some other sort of pre-cruise stay. Could you clarify that? Your TA should be able to clearly give you this information.

We did book airfare through Uniworld since that was part of the special they were offering. I'll have to check with the TA on whether it's the Uniworld pre-cruise. As I said, I know it's the same hotel, and the TA was on the phone with Uniworld while it was being arranged, but I was given the impression it wasn't the "official" pre-cruise package. I know we couldn't book our two free nights post-cruise because Uniworld didn't offer a post-cruise stay.

I realized yesterday that thanks to the special on this cruise, we are only paying $500 more in total for the 12 night cruise than we would have for Uniworld's 7 night cruise Rhine cruise! Makes me feel like we got a pretty good deal!