Salty pools and water slides?

Chewybub

Hello all! We are thinking about planning a cruise on the Carnival Breeze with myself, my DH, and 2 boys (ages 8 & 11). I was wondering how salty the pools and water slides are? Does it burn the eyes? If so, we may choose a Royal Caribbean ship due to it having freshwater pools.

Thanks!

Hello all! We are thinking about planning a cruise on the Carnival Breeze with myself, my DH, and 2 boys (ages 8 & 11). I was wondering how salty the pools and water slides are? Does it burn the eyes? If so, we may choose a Royal Caribbean ship due to it having freshwater pools.

Thanks!

The pool water is sea water, so just as salty as wherever the ship is sailing. All ship's pools, whether sea water or fresh water are chlorinated to 2-4ppm, which is significantly higher than shoreside pools. And not all RCI pools are fresh, some are salt.

Thanks!

Salt doesn't burn eyes. varying ph going away from 7 burns eyes.

The pH of ocean water is 8.3 or so. So the ocean water in the pools would burn the eyes. Heck, I know from experience; good thing there was a shower by the pool.

The pH of sea water will vary considerably from 7.4 to 8.3 as the accepted norms. While flow through salt water pools may reach these levels, when a salt water pool is in recirculation, acid is added to maintain a pH of about 7.0-7.2, which is the optimum pH for the chlorine to work as an antimicrobial agent. Since the pH of our eyes is 7.2, this is also where eye irritation is minimized.