A Question I've Never Seen Discussed Before

Cruisin Around

Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for all of you wonderful advice and suggestions. I visit daily so I'll be ready for my first cruise in October. Here is my question: Are you allowed to bring musical instruments on the ship? My husband's favorite hobby is playing his guitar. We'll be on the Galaxy for 10 nights in October and I know he'd not only miss playing every day, but also I think he'd love to play while on the ship- even if it was just in our room for a half our or so. So has anyone ever seen anybody doing that quietly (it wouldn't be a loud electric guitar- more like a back-packer "travel" guitar")? He doesn't even know about me asking this. If it was possible, I'd like to buy him a cheap travel guitar and see if I could ship it in advance, so does anyone know anything about that? I really apologize if these thoughts are way out of line and if everyone else knows that of course you can't do this. I was just wondering. I know if would be a fabulous if we'd get on the ship and he'd a have a guitar waiting for him. I've heard people say there are spots on the ship where you can have privacy and I didn't know if he could go on a deck and strum, or like I said even in our room. Anyway, I appreciate all comments or advice. After I hear what you good people have to say, I will probably contact Celebrity too, but if you guys know for a fact there's no way this can be done, I'd like to know that before I'd make a fool of myself! icon_redface.gif

Cruisin Around

I know one thing. I can hear that on board talent show beckoning............ icon_cool.gif

Phil

Mercury Western Caribbean November 2002

Galaxy Eastern Caribbean November 2003

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;13;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600<BR

Until Galaxy Panama Canal Out Of Galveston

13th November 2004

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Thank you - first timer! icon_biggrin.gif

If you're going on a larger ship - typical of today's cruise market (70K+GT, thats 70,000 gross tons), your other will find PLENTY of outdoor private space for practice; and probably indoor space too. The nice large forward viewing "Revelations" night club on the M-Class ships is unstaffed and empty day time, as are comparable spots on a lot of ships. Counselor accompanied Kid Zoners and Bingo occasionally use these daytime empty spaces - but, like 20-20% of a large floor plan...

If your guy is a picker... take the strings... a finer guitar should definately go as carry on (remember these ships employ numerous professional musicians). Just don't "compete" with the paid entertainment crew poolside or elsewhere... and I doubt you'll encounter anything but a smile. icon_smile.gif

Both of my boys have been on 10 cruises and we are going again next month. They always take their guitar, not their electric one but their accoustic/electric. I beg them to take one and share. You will have no problem. Make sure you have a hard case and just send it with your luggage. The case will store under the bed with your other suitcases. I have never had anyone complain about their playing. If in the room, they play quietly, but their favorite thing is playing outside at night. They always draw a crowd-especially the teens.

I think it was in April '03 on the Galaxy an elderly gentleman played his trumpet in good taste around the pool on several occasions and on one evening the dinner music ensamble invited him to play a few numbers with them which I am sure he enjoyed as we did.

Mercury 5/98 Galaxy 5/99 Millennium 9/2000 Galaxy 9/2002 Galaxy 4/2003 Century 4/2004 B2B Century 4/2004 Galaxy 4/2005

Thank you so much for all of your posts! It really helped a lot! If there was only a way that I could sneak the guitar aboard! Does anyone have any thoughts on sending it ahead of time? Has anyone ever sent luggage or something ahead of time by a commercial carrier and had them hold it? We won't be traveling by plane. My husband will tell you that this is just his hobby and he isn't wild about drawing attention to himself, but I know it's something he'd love to do. Now onto e-bay to find a cheap back-packer guitar! icon_biggrin.gif

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=10>

<param name="day" value=8>

<param name="hour" value=18>

</applet>

That's good to know. Now I can bring my drums with me.

518.gif

NBP [7<sup>2</sup>=49]

Boten, you're always good for a laugh - newtocc

Boten, I want to speak with Mrs. Boten. NOW - brigittetom

Yes, I was trying to keep it a surprise. Also, he's quiet strummer so I can usually not even here him from the next room when he's playing. We would definitely not want to bother anyone. Thanks for all of your posts. I think he' really like this.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

</applet>

Thanks for the compliment! icon_wink.gif We're sailing on the Galaxy out of Baltimore on October 8th- 3 days after our anniversary. Thanks for the advice!

</applet>

Well now, there's an idea!!

How about finding one of our members close by you and get them to take his guitar on board and have the room stewards get it to your cabin. It would turn out to be much cheaper in the long run with only postage paid for the guitar to a willing members home. Possibly a nice bottle of wine to be arranged as a thank you for a job well done??

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2005;4;24;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Mercury here we come!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cruisin Around:

If there was only a way that I could sneak the guitar aboard! Does anyone have any thoughts on sending it ahead of time? Has anyone ever sent luggage or something ahead of time by a commercial carrier and had them hold it? We won't be traveling by plane. My husband will tell you that this is just his hobby and he isn't wild about drawing attention to himself, but I know it's something he'd love to do. Now onto e-bay to find a cheap back-packer guitar! icon_biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could disguise it like a pig. icon_wink.gif (see reference Newt's barbeque)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flagger:

Fantabulous. I am bringing my bagpipes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bagpipes are only acceptable when played in groups of 30 or more by men wearing kilts.

Actually, come to think of it my husband is a one man band.....

he farts, burps, snores and grinds his teeth!

I'm thinking talent showicon_smile.gif

Hey rustynail, can he borrow your tambourine??? It would be nice to round out the sound

You guys are wonderful. If all else fails, maybe I can see if one of the wonderful people on this board would help me out. We're being picked up by motorcoach through AAA and I can maybe even drop it off with them early and have it on the bus's luggage compartment already. The wheels are turning! icon_wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Archived