Japan to Vancouver question

Shmoo here

I've just discovered the Japan to Vancouver itinerary for this year (too late for us, we're already committed to a different cruise), but was thinking "maybe next year".

Is this itinerary sort of a "standard" offering for HAL?

If so, does it usually sell well, or would there be the chance of lower last minute prices?

I've just discovered the Japan to Vancouver itinerary for this year (too late for us, we're already committed to a different cruise), but was thinking "maybe next year".

Is this itinerary sort of a "standard" offering for HAL?

If so, does it usually sell well, or would there be the chance of lower last minute prices?

Some years they don't have this cruise.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

The important point is that they have it next year. April 16, 19 days, Yokohama to Vancouver on the Volendam.

I know.

But the other question is - do these tend to sell well? Or is there a decent chance of snagging a lower rate closer to the cruise date due to lagging sales?

It sells well because it usually the last leg of a Grand Voyage that starts in Singapore about the middle of March and ends in Vancouver.

The Grand voyage is usually in the 45 day range from Singapore.

What Grand Voyage is this? The World Grand Voyage starts in Fort Lauderdale in the beginning of January and returns to Fort Lauderdale. The Grand South America on the Prinsendam starts at the beginning of January in Fort Lauderdale and returns to there. The Grand Asia and Pacific use to start in Seattle in September but that has been discontinued. So I don't know which Grand Voyage you talking about?

What Grand Voyage is this? The World Grand Voyage starts in Fort Lauderdale in the beginning of January and returns to Fort Lauderdale. The Grand South America on the Prinsendam starts at the beginning of January in Fort Lauderdale and returns to there. The Grand Asia and Pacific use to start in Seattle in September but that has been discontinued. So I don't know which Grand Voyage you talking about?

The Volendam leaves Singapore on March 16 or 17 for a 49 day voyage to Vancouver . In the past it was called a "Far East and Pacific Grand Voyage" .They now have renamed it to something else. I remember my PVP at HAL calling it a Grand Voyage last year . These voyages are often a number of cruises combined to make a large one.

It is not a Grand Voyage. Not sure it is selling out, as the last leg, Kobe to Vancouver is on sale now. Brochure price for an inside was $3349; selling now for $1499. Not bad for a 17 day cruise, but I would call it a repositioning cruise, not a Grand Voyage.

The Volendam leaves Singapore on March 16 or 17 for a 49 day voyage to Vancouver . In the past it was called a "Far East and Pacific Grand Voyage" .They now have renamed it to something else. I remember my PVP at HAL calling it a Grand Voyage last year . These voyages are often a number of cruises combined to make a large one.
Well, they were wrong. We were booked on this last year as part of a Collector's Cruise - until HAL chartered out the first two weeks. That isn't going to happen on a Grand Voyage. The Grand Asia voyage is something entirely different. Grand Voyages begin and end in North America. That is NOT the case in these Volendam cruises that the OP asked about.

It is not a Grand Voyage. Not sure it is selling out, as the last leg, Kobe to Vancouver is on sale now. Brochure price for an inside was $3349; selling now for $1499. Not bad for a 17 day cruise, but I would call it a repositioning cruise, not a Grand Voyage.

Unfortunately, next year this cruise isn't so much a repo cruise, there are more ports and more like a "real" cruise.

How's this for an option: We book now, and as the Paid in Full date gets close look to see if there still seems to be a fair amount of availability (whatever that number would be :confused:). If there's a lot, we cancel and hope for lower pricing.

I'm just not much of a gambler.

The 2016 edition is much better in my own opinion, although there are more ports. I think 2016 has better ports than 2015.

I've seen and paid as low as CND999 plus tax for this cruise of 17 days in the past for an inside guarentee. Now with the CND nose-diving........

This year it must be selling well because the pricing is a lot higher that that in USD!

Shmoo: I would do what you suggest. This cruise almost always decreases in price. You just have to get the timing right!

The only thing that holds me back from these itineraries is the idea of a half dozen sea days in the North Pacific in April. With outside temperatures hovering either side of freezing, the potential for late winter storms and the pressure of scheduling has always given me pause.

The only thing that holds me back from these itineraries is the idea of a half dozen sea days in the North Pacific in April. With outside temperatures hovering either side of freezing, the potential for late winter storms and the pressure of scheduling has always given me pause.

October can be worse, though! 25 foot seas! With roll and hogging!

Really, it was not as bad as it sounds. An adventurous time was had by all on that particular crossing.

The other times, not more that 10 foot seas, with hardly any real movement.

Cold, yes, not that bad with a jacket, toque, gloves and scarf: just what you expect to pack for an Alaska cruise.

Well, they were wrong. We were booked on this last year as part of a Collector's Cruise - until HAL chartered out the first two weeks. That isn't going to happen on a Grand Voyage. The Grand Asia voyage is something entirely different. Grand Voyages begin and end in North America. That is NOT the case in these Volendam cruises that the OP asked about.

Grand voyages do not have to start and finish in North America. The Grand Med Voyage on the Prinsendam starts in Fort Lauderdale and ends in Europe.

This video may help you to decide on the cruise....we loved it.

Volendam Northern Explorer cruise Japan-Vancouver May 2011.

It is a bit bumpy on the Bering sea though.

Regards

bellair

Edited by Bellair
added

Grand voyages do not have to start and finish in North America. The Grand Med Voyage on the Prinsendam starts in Fort Lauderdale and ends in Europe.
That's right, the Prinsendam this year did break with tradition and ends a Grand Voyage in Europe. Still, the Volendam heads to Australia/New Zealand in the Fall, spends the season cruising there before heading north to Asia. She cruises there before returning across the North Pacific in the Spring to spend the Summer sailing in Alaska. None of those cruises are Grand Voyages - contrary to what someone claims their "PVP" (I thought that was a Carnival term, not HAL) told them. The Prinsendam will have the perks that go with being a Grand Voyage. The Volendam will not.

OP - for the years we've been looking at the Volendam North Pacific crossing, the price has been excellent after final payment is due.

The 2016 edition is much better in my own opinion, although there are more ports. I think 2016 has better ports than 2015.

I've seen and paid as low as CND999 plus tax for this cruise of 17 days in the past for an inside guarentee. Now with the CND nose-diving........

This year it must be selling well because the pricing is a lot higher that that in USD!

Shmoo: I would do what you suggest. This cruise almost always decreases in price. You just have to get the timing right!

I also think 2016 looks more interesting than this year; 2 additional ports in Japan and Glacier Bay back on the itinerary for 2016.

Based on what I have seen in the past, I think prices will go a bit lower closer to sailing. I have not seen this cruise sell out in the past few years.

This year embarkation is Kobe and an overnight in Yokohama was on the itinerary. Apparently, HAL has been able to get a berth at Harumi in Tokyo and the overnight will now be there instead of Yokohama. This will be a boon for passengers who want to optimize their time touring and dining out in Tokyo. I hope the same thing happens next year with a switch from Yokohama to Tokyo, but who knows?

This video may help you to decide on the cruise....we loved it.

Volendam Northern Explorer cruise Japan-Vancouver May 2011.

It is a bit bumpy on the Bering sea though.

Regards

bellair

Thanks for sharing your video! We have often thought about doing this cruise, particularly when there have been more ports in Alaska added as has happened in the past. I'd wondered what the Russian ports would be like, so enjoyed seeing through your lens... :D:D:D

It sells well because it usually the last leg of a Grand Voyage that starts in Singapore about the middle of March and ends in Vancouver.

The Grand voyage is usually in the 45 day range from Singapore.

Sorry to disagree but that is not a Grand Voyage as there are now only 3: the World which sails westerly, the So America and the Med cruises - all originating from Ft Lauderdale.

HAL now has a few ships in the Asian area and if they need to get them back to No America, say for the Alaska season, you will find the trans-Pacific cruises. My experience is that these cruises sell fairly well but are rarely full.

Edited by take us away

Thanks for sharing your video! We have often thought about doing this cruise, particularly when there have been more ports in Alaska added as has happened in the past. I'd wondered what the Russian ports would be like, so enjoyed seeing through your lens... :D:D:D

Russian ports: We personally loved Petropavlosk, but seemed to be among a very small number who did.

Quaint town, with an escaped convict on the loose which made for a more interesting port stop!

The Gum Department store was quite a cultural experience, too.