Can Travel Agent error be corrected?

penelopemarch

Hello,

I'm taking my first cruise with my family March 22-29 on the Sun. I couldn't be more excited but I think I've made a rookie mistake-aided by my lackluster travel agent. I had to book through a specific TA to use a small voucher I received at work. I found the promotion on NCL and asked her to book it. We decided on two ocean view rooms with 2 people in each rather than a balcony room for 4. I would rather have had the balcony but after thinking about it decided it would be too cramped!

Long story short we thought we would be getting the UBP for out 24 year old daughter in the ocean view room. Obviously, we knew our 16yo would not receive it. After booking the travel agent told us that both my daughters would receive the soda package. I now understand why we didn't get the UBP but shouldn't we have been offered something better than soda? The girls rarely drink it. Any options? Cruise will be great anyway.

Hello,

I'm taking my first cruise with my family March 22-29 on the Sun. I couldn't be more excited but I think I've made a rookie mistake-aided by my lackluster travel agent. I had to book through a specific TA to use a small voucher I received at work. I found the promotion on NCL and asked her to book it. We decided on two ocean view rooms with 2 people in each rather than a balcony room for 4. I would rather have had the balcony but after thinking about it decided it would be too cramped!

Long story short we thought we would be getting the UBP for out 24 year old daughter in the ocean view room. Obviously, we knew our 16yo would not receive it. After booking the travel agent told us that both my daughters would receive the soda package. I now understand why we didn't get the UBP but shouldn't we have been offered something better than soda? The girls rarely drink it. Any options? Cruise will be great anyway.

I believe the offer was UBP, or UDP, or OBC. Call your TA.

I now understand why we didn't get the UBP but shouldn't we have been offered something better than soda? The girls rarely drink it. Any options? Cruise will be great anyway.

No, if you chose UBP, it's UBP rules that you need to live with. There is nothing between UBP and soda package. Since you are past final payment, I doubt that you can make promo changes to the reservation, of course it doesn't hurt to try but at this point you're not entitled to anything.

I wonder if this falls under the spring break rules. There is something about needing to be over 25 during spring break cruises to get ubp

Could be you are correct, but I'm thinking that because of the OP's voucher, they are basically getting two cabins for one pricing, with the two daughters being considered as friends and family sailing free. That would explain them receiving the soda package. It's possible that you could switch to the UDP and get it for all four guests, but I think dollars and cents wise that you would probably be better off leaving it as it is. If your daughter is a drinker, you can purchase the plan on hour own (or she can! :rolleyes:), and if not she can just pay as she goes. :). The OP should contact their "lackluster travel agent" and ask them to contact NCL to find out what other options if any are available. Good luck and happy sailing!

No 2 for 1 pricing etc. We paid the quoted price for both rooms. If given the choice we would have chosen the UDP rather than the soda. I just expected that a TA would ask us before booking. And...have let us know that the 24 YO couldn't receive the UBP due to spring break rules-which I tend to agree with BTW. As it stands now, we booked a room and didn't receive a promotion that we would actually use.

I see both sides of this: yes, your TA shold have clarified this with you, but on the other hand, there are times when certain rules take over and this is one of them. Had it not been for spring break, everything would have been a little different. I doubt there is anything that can be done at this late date. Just go, enjoy your cruise and use a different agent, one that will work a little harder for you next time.

Penelope

We are from NC and on the same cruise.

Have you tried to contact the TA and have them contact NCL about switching.

You need to be persistent with your TA and stress that they did not fully disclose your options.

Even though you are past final payment date. The promo that was in effect when you booked was a choice and that promo is still in effect.

It doesn't hurt to have them try and really I would expect that NCL will switch it to the UDP.

This is really easy to understand. Due to the ages of the two young ladies and the time of year (during spring break time) they are not eligible for the adult UBP. They might have been eligible for the UDP, but it may not be allowed because the other cabin is getting the UBP.

Either way since OP said that the older daughter doesn't drink much it should not be a big deal to purchase the drinks for her without running up a huge bill.

Could be you are correct, but I'm thinking that because of the OP's voucher, they are basically getting two cabins for one pricing, with the two daughters being considered as friends and family sailing free. That would explain them receiving the soda package. It's possible that you could switch to the UDP and get it for all four guests, but I think dollars and cents wise that you would probably be better off leaving it as it is. If your daughter is a drinker, you can purchase the plan on hour own (or she can! :rolleyes:), and if not she can just pay as she goes. :). The OP should contact their "lackluster travel agent" and ask them to contact NCL to find out what other options if any are available. Good luck and happy sailing!

Add some clarification on the f&f sail free. It is only on 3-8th pax in same cabin, not a second cabin.

To OP, I would ask TA to see about the kids getting switched to the UDP instead since the youngest would only have ever gotten soda and the older one is precluded from the package during Spring Break even while they are sailing with mom and dad. The TA should have known and disclosed that before the decision on packages was made. Different packages for each cabin is doable.

It is your TAs job to inform you of the details of the promotion and not assume. You could have chosen the UDP for both cabins, or you could have booked the cabins with different plans. If the TA cannot get NCL to change the other cabin to the UDP I would ask if they may be able to add it to their room at their own expense.

Really the TA is there to make sure you have all the necessary information to give you exactly what works best for you. They aren't just a helper monkey putting in the booking for you with you doing all the research beforehand, you can do that yourself online.

~Katy

Hi Penelope!

We're on the same cruise too. We're thinking of doing a Meet & Greet but are waiting for more people to join in. Please come join us on the roll call.

As far as your original question, maybe your TA can switch your daughters over to OBC or the UDP as others have suggested. I believe your older daughter can't get the UBP because of the Spring Break rules on adults under 25. Anyway, I hope you're able to work something out and have a wonderful cruise.

Ann

Penelope

We are from NC and on the same cruise.

Have you tried to contact the TA and have them contact NCL about switching.

You need to be persistent with your TA and stress that they did not fully disclose your options.

Even though you are past final payment date. The promo that was in effect when you booked was a choice and that promo is still in effect.

It doesn't hurt to have them try and really I would expect that NCL will switch it to the UDP.

To contact the TA, even if she already has is a great idea, but rather than saying to TA, simply say, I didn't understand the options. The more you put the blame on the TA,the more defensive she/he will become. The OP has to accept some of the blame, whether real of not.

Edited by newmexicoNita