Hopefully "Live" Zuiderdam Panama Canal 2015

Mtn2Sea

Thank you for the Great report! We're on the Zuiderdam now (for the next 25 days) and your report is a great resource. Our first day program and menu mirrors yours and I can now peek ahead at the upcoming programs and menus that you posted, knowing what to expect (at least for the Panama leg). Pretty neat!

First, let me say we had a fantastic cruise on the Zuiderdam - just wish we could have stayed longer! In reading my final thoughts about the cruise, please remember I'm giving my personal opinion which, I'm sure, will vary from some others.

THE SHIP. The Zuiderdam was the last of the Vista class ships we've sailed. Quite frankly, based on some of the reviews/comments I've read over the past couple of years regarding the ship, I was a little hesitant to book a cruise on her. When we first got to our cabin, I immediately thought "oh no" because the room was warm and I'd read a lot of AC complaints. Being an optimist, I began rationalizing that, because we were at the ship's home port, they were doing something with the ship that affected the AC. As we were unpacking our carryons, Argo, our cabin steward, dropped by to introduce himself and ask if we had any special needs. I asked him if he thought the cabin was warm and he said yes. He immediately checked the thermostat, which was turned all the way to cold (which is the way we found it). He then felt the air coming out of the vent. At that point he suggested I call guest services and ask that they send a technician. I immediately called to ask for an AC tech and mentioned that the steward had indicated I should ask for such a check. Shortly thereafter, we went to the sea view pool area for sail away. When we returned, the room was cooler. For the rest of the cruise, our only problem with the AC was adjusting the thermostat so wouldn't freeze! Guest services called within 24 hours to check to ensure our AC issue had been resolved.

The Zuiderdam is going into dry dock for two weeks after she finishes her current Panama Canal run and makes the trip across the pond. I thought the carpeting was in good condition; however, I saw more rust spots on the outside of the ship than I've seen on any other HAL ship. I also noticed the teak hand rails seriously need refinishing. The inside and top sides of the railing looked good, but the water side of the teak was in bad shape. Maybe other ships have a similar issue and I've just never noticed, but because our cabin was just forward of where the balconies extend out, I could readily see the outside edge of the teak railing, which caused me to check the railing for our balcony. I would think both of these issues would be addressed in the upcoming dry dock and they did not affect our enjoyment of the cruise at all.

Occasionally, we would note an elevator would be out of service, but we never sensed we were being delayed because of it. As I indicated in Post 30, we got stuck in one of the outside elevators one evening. A technician, however, arrived promptly and we were on our way. We continued to use that elevator and had no problems with it or any of the others.

I've read comments about the Zuiderdam's decor in the public areas. While I though some of the artwork was out of character with what I've seen on other ships, I found some of the artwork very nice. I particularly like the old photos in the hallways. Some of the upholstery was a bit bright, which makes the ship stand out a bit, but that makes it more memorable! The lounge chairs around the pools appear to be practically brand new.

THE FOOD. We primarily ate in the Vista Dining Room, which we thought served very good food. The warm food was served warm and, with only one exception, the chilled food was served chilled. The only room service we had was breakfast a couple of times. We were happy with that service as well. We ate breakfast and a lunch or two in the Lido. Again, we were happy with our food.

I read a comment a few weeks ago complaining about the noise level in the MDR of the Zuiderdam. We generally had a table for two, so we could carry on a conversation without any real problem, but I did notice, depending on the table location, the noise level could be high. On a couple of occasions we were assigned a table in the fixed dining section, which is one level up. At least for our table area, the noise level in fixed dining seemed subdued compared to the larger open dining area below.

THE CABIN. Other than the initial AC issue, we had no problem with the cabin. In fact, we thought it was more updated compared to our cabin on the Noordam a year ago. The only "negative" with our cabin was the balcony had one new chair and one older chair (different styles/color). The new chair did not have a cushion, but it was nevertheless comfortable. We did not have a lounge chair on our balcony.

ENTERTAINMENT. Typical for HAL. We enjoyed the various performers, even the ones we've seen in the past. The ship's cast emphasized singing more than dancing. Most of their music came from the 60's & 70's.

THE CREW. With a rare exception, we've always found the crew on HAL ships to be top notch. The crew on the Zuiderdam is no exception. I would be remiss, however, if I did not mention that the dining stewards in the open seating area of the MDR were exceptional. We've found the service level in open seating isn't at the same level we once experienced. In my opinion, this is due to staffing levels, not the efforts of the stewards. With the exception of one meal, the stewards delivered food promptly and with a smile. The delivery of food in the one exception was probably about average of what we've seen on previous cruises. Usually, lunch runs a little slow on embarkation day, but not on our cruise!

Our cabin stewards, Argo and Ayu, met our every need (and they did a great job with the towel animals). They both were smiling all the time and were more talkative than most.

LAUNDRY. We utilized the $20/bag for laundry after our last port and everything was returned in pristine condition 24 hours later. I do have one further observation about the $20 bag. Previously on other ships, I've stuffed the bag (just short of busting the seams) and simply marked the laundry sheet that we were doing the bag price - I did not note on the sheet the specific items within the bag (we never send any "can't do without items" to the ship's laundry). When I did that on this cruise, I found a note on the bag asking me to itemize our laundry on the sheet. I was just glad I could get everything back in the bag!

INTERNET. Unlike the other ships we've sailed, the Zuiderdam has a set price for Internet for the cruise in addition to some small by-the-minute plans. In my previous reviews, I've purchased the 1000 minute plan for $250. The Zuiderdam's set price for the length of the cruise was only $150 - what a deal compared to the other ships! The Internet speed, with periodic exceptions, seemed a little faster. At times, however, it was as bad as I've seen on other ships, but because I had a plan with a set price, I never got stressed out when trying to upload something when the system was operating sooo slow. I had planned to post my last photos on disembarkation day; however, my set Internet plan was history at that point.

EMBARKATION/DISEMBARKATION. Not good - not bad - typical Fort Lauderdale. Our disembarkation was scheduled between 8:45 & 9:00 (we were Brown 3). Our number was called between 9:15 & 9:20. As we entered the terminal building, we saw a line of crew members, led by our cruise director, giving us a last goodbye wave. After quickly finding our luggage, we faced a long line to get through immigration; however, we moved steadily to get to one of the two immigration officers. Once we got to the desk, we were promptly waved on through after a quick look at our passports. We promptly found a spot outside for DW to wait with the luggage while I got the car. After making a "car payment" at the garage ($15/day), I picked up DW and the luggage. We were on our way at 10:30 and had an uneventful trip home.

FINAL COMMENT. We thoroughly enjoyed our 11 day cruise on the Zuiderdam. The ship's personnel, from the Captain on down, did an outstanding job (other than making us get off the ship at the end of the cruise). I also would like to thank everyone who posted a comment while I was doing my review. I'm sure other "live" reviewers would agree that such comments provides great motivation to continue with the review. As I mentioned above, I have a few final photos. Here they are.

image.jpg3_zpshcfzstfo.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsdde7zndg.jpg

image.jpg1_zps8t4u857l.jpg

image.jpg2_zpshgni8gf8.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsscqyegu6.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsqqna8z4q.jpg

Thank you again. We were on the Zuiderdam in July (Alaska) and the Panama cruise is on 'my list'. Good memories, and lots of things to look forward to. Your pictures really were awesome to 'see' the ports. Blessings!

Thank you so much for your "live" review and all the pictures you took! It really took me back to our great cruises on the Zuiderdam! I really appreciate your writing style, you are very fair and truthful in your review, I also enjoyed the way you kept the review "light" and a little funny. Well done and thanks again.

My wife and I, and another couple, were on this same cruise with you. We certainly echo many of your comments. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise with 2 exceptions: The cigar smoker on the balcony next to us, and the production show Droom was not presented. We voiced our displeasure with the cigar smoking loud and clear on board and in the post cruise comments. We understand the people have the right to smoke on their balcony, but we made it clear that we also have the right not to sail on HAL until they fix the policy. We are one cruise away from HAL 4 star, already Elite on Princess. Hope HAL gets the message.

We had a cigar smoker next to us on a long European cruise. I am feeling your pain. We had reeking odor on our clothes, stench seeping into our verandah. When, oh when, will HAL dump their smoking policy and enter the 21st Century?!!!!

We had a cigar smoker next to us on a long European cruise. I am feeling your pain. We had reeking odor on our clothes, stench seeping into our verandah. When, oh when, will HAL dump their smoking policy and enter the 21st Century?!!!!

Unfortunately, I doubt that HAL will enter the 21st century any time soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi - I couldn't find where you reviewed the tea - what did you think of the new brand? Was it available in various types i.e. Earl Grey - my fav? Thanks for the info.

They had numerous types of tea in the Fields and Selects brand. Generally, I would get the decaf black tea, but I did try a couple of other types (including Earl Grey). If the water was really hot, the cup of water would change color at a fairly normal rate, but if the water was not really, really hot, you'd end up with a cup of slightly colored hot water. At the meet & greet, the ship had set out cookies and coffee/tea, including tea with the HAL label that they formally saw in the MDR. I definitely noticed a difference in taste. Because I had read about the change in teas before the cruise, I took my own tea bags and, whenever I remembered (and I won't say how often that occurred), I used my own tea in the dining room. I won't go so far as say the new tea is bad (I had it numerous times), but if you're a dedicated tea drinker, you may want to bring some from home.

• 7 months later...

Many, many thanks! My wife is the planner and I just go where she tells me. I'm sure she gets tired of me asking her what we're doing, so your review will give me a good heads-up on what to expect.

I was glad to see creme brûlée at least once, as it is my favorite. I know I gained a few pounds looking at your pictures, which I can't afford. I did take notice, and will plan to enjoy, lunch in the mdr.

Last, the walk you took involving the floating pier.... Any idea how far of a walk that might be? We don't typically eat ashore, but it sounded good.

Thanks. counting down just over 70 days!

Many, many thanks! My wife is the planner and I just go where she tells me. I'm sure she gets tired of me asking her what we're doing, so your review will give me a good heads-up on what to expect.

I was glad to see creme brûlée at least once, as it is my favorite. I know I gained a few pounds looking at your pictures, which I can't afford. I did take notice, and will plan to enjoy, lunch in the mdr.

Last, the walk you took involving the floating pier.... Any idea how far of a walk that might be? We don't typically eat ashore, but it sounded good.

Thanks. counting down just over 70 days!

Glad you enjoyed my review. We enjoyed this cruise itinerary a lot. The Queen Emma pedestrian bridge in Curaçao is 548 feet long, which is not very long compared to the walk from the ship to the beginning of the bridge. With that said, the walk from the ship is not bad unless you have a mobility issue. DW was having a hip issue, but managed the walk without any real issue. Along the way, there are numerous places where you can stop and sit for a short rest.

Glad you enjoyed my review. We enjoyed this cruise itinerary a lot. The Queen Emma pedestrian bridge in Curaçao is 548 feet long, which is not very long compared to the walk from the ship to the beginning of the bridge. With that said, the walk from the ship is not bad unless you have a mobility issue. DW was having a hip issue, but managed the walk without any real issue. Along the way, there are numerous places where you can stop and sit for a short rest.
Thank you. Unfortunately, we took the 10 night version of this cruise, so we don't get the stop in Curacao....