UBP - Must try cocktail/drink list!

Warm-Water Diver

The drink on the ship was sourer than the one I made this evening. I guess I need more lime. And I found this, thanks to you:

https://www.jamieoliver.com/drinks-tube/recipe/grey-goose-le-fizz/

I'd rather have it in a martini glass. ;)

You know, those little things - like a martini glass - make ALL the difference.

I once ate at a local popular Mexican restaurant. I ordered a margarita and my sister got iced tea. They brought her tea in a beer mug and my margarita in a styrofoam cup. 🤨 I asked the server why my drink was in a styrofoam cup and he said “we’re all out of margarita glasses.” [emoji15]. That just shouldn’t happen.

I don’t know if it made the difference in the taste or not, but when he asked if I wanted another I declined. I’ve had drinks served in the wrong glasses before, but even at picnics I’ve had a margarita in a plastic margarita glass! I just think it adds to our perceptions.

Good luck on the combinations. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! I was going to ask if anyone had done this so I wouldn't have to scroll through all 35 pages!

This thread has been too quiet lately! Preparing for my December cruise, I have done a makeover on Warm-water Diver's spreadsheet (with credit of course) and posted it here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz4nA7xcrIZaSnk2VV9DbnFjM1U/view?usp=sharing

And attaching it. I have processed all 31 pages of this thread looking for drinks to add, and added a number of classics too. A couple dozen added overall. Fits on 2 pages front/back with shots spilling to a third page... but see the bottom line of page 2 for help there.

Enjoy. I will.

Considering my first NCL cruise but after looking at this list, the beverage package seems to pale in comparison to RCI. Bummer.

In what way? I think the fact that you actually pay for the entire package on Royal, plus tips makes NCL more attractive for the package. Other than non-alcoholic (coffee, water, juices), I didn’t find them to be much different on the alcohol front.

In what way? I think the fact that you actually pay for the entire package on Royal, plus tips makes NCL more attractive for the package. Other than non-alcoholic (coffee, water, juices), I didn’t find them to be much different on the alcohol front.

Quality of liquor being a large difference. Not too impressive when it comes to premium vodkas. And for me, bottled water is a pretty big deal. I drink a lot of it.

One thing I really enjoyed about RCI's packages is how unique the cocktails are. Especially some of the martinis. I'm pretty well versed on my alcohol and they have some very unique concoctions. This does however vary by ship. You're obviously going to get fancier drinks on the newer ships. The list I saw posted here for NCL is somewhat average.

I've also ready that many drinks on NCL "open bar" ships are pre-made in jugs and not fresh. I really hope that isn't true.

I'm going to have to disagree with you, however, when it comes to whether or not you "pay" for the package. You're paying for it on NCL, the price is just factored into the cruise fare. Especially gratuity. Example, RCI daily gratuity is $13.50pp/day (I heard they just raised it to $14.50pp/day, have not verified yet) while according to NCL site as of today, it is $18.99pp/day on the Sun, where the alcohol is "free." Clearly the increased gratuity is to cover the alcohol. Additionally, in a few sailings I was looking at, NCLs fare was the same, or a little higher, than a ship that was subpar to what RCI offered for the same itinerary. Sure, RCI charges an extra $50/day for drinks, but from what I'm calculating, it seems to all balance out to be practically the same when you look at the total "out the door" price.

At the end of the day, you're paying for it, it just varies on how the cruise line wants to bill you for it.

I look forward to giving NCL a shot and providing a somewhat comprehensive side-by-side review/comparison. Cheers!

Quality of liquor being a large difference. Not too impressive when it comes to premium vodkas. And for me, bottled water is a pretty big deal. I drink a lot of it.

One thing I really enjoyed about RCI's packages is how unique the cocktails are. Especially some of the martinis. I'm pretty well versed on my alcohol and they have some very unique concoctions. This does however vary by ship. You're obviously going to get fancier drinks on the newer ships. The list I saw posted here for NCL is somewhat average.

I've also ready that many drinks on NCL "open bar" ships are pre-made in jugs and not fresh. I really hope that isn't true.

I'm going to have to disagree with you, however, when it comes to whether or not you "pay" for the package. You're paying for it on NCL, the price is just factored into the cruise fare. Especially gratuity. Example, RCI daily gratuity is $13.50pp/day (I heard they just raised it to $14.50pp/day, have not verified yet) while according to NCL site as of today, it is $18.99pp/day on the Sun, where the alcohol is "free." Clearly the increased gratuity is to cover the alcohol. Additionally, in a few sailings I was looking at, NCLs fare was the same, or a little higher, than a ship that was subpar to what RCI offered for the same itinerary. Sure, RCI charges an extra $50/day for drinks, but from what I'm calculating, it seems to all balance out to be practically the same when you look at the total "out the door" price.

At the end of the day, you're paying for it, it just varies on how the cruise line wants to bill you for it.

I look forward to giving NCL a shot and providing a somewhat comprehensive side-by-side review/comparison. Cheers!

NCL service charges are 13.99 pp/pd. We all will pay a 20% tip per drink...the "free" alcohol included. You pay the 20% on the per day cost of the drink package if you were buying it. Which is 89 pp/pd plus the 20%. This cost is figured up front at the time of booking and averages out to be about $18.00 a day. I can drink that much in a day, and I don't drink that much. Therefore, for me that is the value. Because after 2 drinks the rest is on them. Works for me.

The drinks are made to order. The drink of the day may be made in large batches, not sure, didn't usually order them, the couple times I did, definitely was not lacking in alcohol.

I think it all depends on how you look at it. Every cruise on every cruise line is what you make of it. If you go thinking no way will it live up to the "other one". You may indeed be dis appointed...but if you go being excited you are doing something you love, traveling, on vacation, with loved ones, knowing that is more important than the "trappings". You will have a fantastic trip.

Here's to a fabulous vacation!

I do believe it depends on what ship you may be on but we have found on our last few cruises on the Dawn that they have several of their popular drinks made up in batches at most of their bars. We have even been told on occasion that they couldn’t make a specific drink with a specific vodka, (to ensure that we weren’t getting something from a pre-made batch), however when we pushed the issue they would usually end up making it.

NCL service charges are 13.99 pp/pd. We all will pay a 20% tip per drink...the "free" alcohol included. You pay the 20% on the per day cost of the drink package if you were buying it. Which is 89 pp/pd plus the 20%. This cost is figured up front at the time of booking and averages out to be about $18.00 a day. I can drink that much in a day, and I don't drink that much. Therefore, for me that is the value. Because after 2 drinks the rest is on them. Works for me.

I'm making an NCL booking as I type this, on their website, and on the screen it clearly states that NCL Sun this summer is $18.99 pp/pd gratuity for interior cabin. Which is why I drew the conclusion that the alcohol gratuity is simply factored into the overall gratuity on the ships with "free" alcohol. I'm guessing they charge $13.99 pp/pd for non-inclusive sailings, and $18.99 pp/pd for inclusive sailings on Sun/Sky. AKA, $5 surcharge pp/pd for alcohol. Unless I'm missing something. And that's not unreasonable IMO...but if I had kids not of age or was with a group that didn't drink, I wouldn't be too happy about that. I also probably wouldn't choose that ship.

From 2017:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-hikes-gratuities

"Gratuities fleetwide on standard cabins are currently $13.50 per person, per day. The amount for ships other than Norwegian Sky will be adjusted to $13.99, a 3.6% increase. Daily gratuities for standard cabins on the Sky are rising to $18.99, a 41% increase."

I do believe it depends on what ship you may be on but we have found on our last few cruises on the Dawn that they have several of their popular drinks made up in batches at most of their bars. We have even been told on occasion that they couldn’t make a specific drink with a specific vodka, (to ensure that we weren’t getting something from a pre-made batch), however when we pushed the issue they would usually end up making it.

According to CC reviews, this is what I've read as well, which is disappointing.

AND MY FAVORITE NCL COCKTAIL (as well as my DW):

* Rebellious Fish - passionfruit liqueur, Orange vodka, Cointreau, Fresh O.J. and prosecco sparkling wine

Sound like a Mimosa on steroids! YUM! Will have to remember this one!

Yum