UBP - Must try cocktail/drink list!

Warm-Water Diver

I'm making an NCL booking as I type this, on their website, and on the screen it clearly states that NCL Sun this summer is $18.99 pp/pd gratuity for interior cabin. Which is why I drew the conclusion that the alcohol gratuity is simply factored into the overall gratuity on the ships with "free" alcohol. I'm guessing they charge $13.99 pp/pd for non-inclusive sailings, and $18.99 pp/pd for inclusive sailings on Sun/Sky. AKA, $5 surcharge pp/pd for alcohol. Unless I'm missing something. And that's not unreasonable IMO...but if I had kids not of age or was with a group that didn't drink, I wouldn't be too happy about that. I also probably wouldn't choose that ship.

From 2017:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-hikes-gratuities

"Gratuities fleetwide on standard cabins are currently $13.50 per person, per day. The amount for ships other than Norwegian Sky will be adjusted to $13.99, a 3.6% increase. Daily gratuities for standard cabins on the Sky are rising to $18.99, a 41% increase."

My confusion with your post stemmed from the cruise I recently booked on the Bliss and when I considered prepaying the gratuities earlier this week it was pulling in the 13.99 I quoted. So I did the thing I do..went to ncl and looked it up...this is pulled from their FAQ:

- For bookings made prior to April 1st, 2017, regardless of the date of your cruise:

PREPAID service charges will be charged the CURRENT price of:

• $15.50 USD per person per day The Haven and Suites; $13.50 USD per person per day for Mini-Suites and below - FOR ALL SHIPS

(To pre-pay your service charges, Log In to My NCL or contact your travel professional)

- For bookings made on or after April 1, 2017:

All PREPAID service charges will be charged the NEW price of:

• $16.99 USD per person per day The Haven and Suites; $13.99 USD per person per day for Mini-Suites and below.

Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Sun (Port Canaveral sailings only*) - $21.99 USD per person per day for Suites; $18.99 USD per person per day for Mini-Suites and below.

- For sailings on or after April 1, 2017:

All service charges PAID ONBOARD, regardless of booking date will be charged the NEW price of:

• $16.99 USD per person per day The Haven and Suites; $13.99 USD per person per day for Mini-Suites and below.

Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Sun (Port Canaveral sailings only*) - $21.99 USD per person per day for Suites; $18.99 USD per person per day for Mini-Suites and below.

Guests sailing to Hawaii will be charged an additional 4.275% Pre Paid Service Charge GET Tax

*Excluding Norwegian Sun's 10-Day Southern Caribbean sailing from Port Canaveral on November 16, 2018.

Looks to be just those small 3 or 4 day ones and only out of Port Canaveral... Apologies for the confusion.

I searched and didn't see that a favorite cocktail/drink list on NCL cruises was ever put together.

So let's start one!

I'm glad to have the UBP included as a perk on my upcoming Escape sailing so I thought that a "favorite" or "must try" cocktail/drink list would be handy by the time I board the ship. Post name of drink and ingredients (if you know them) :D

My favs so far:

* Ketel One Martini - dry vermouth and green olive (I hope they have Ketel One; if not Grey Goose is just as good)

* Manhattan - sweet vermouth, Angostura bitters, cherry and orange peel garnish

* Mai Tai (classic!) - light run, dark rum, triple sec, sweet & sour, pineapple juice

AND MY FAVORITE NCL COCKTAIL (as well as my DW):

* Rebellious Fish - passionfruit liqueur, Orange vodka, Cointreau, Fresh O.J. and prosecco sparkling wine

WOW! Looks great! I like drinks that are not so sweet that they put sweaters on my teeth! LOL!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just scanned this thread - soooo many wrong recipes for classic cocktails.

For example, a true MaiTai (Tahitian for The Best!), which was first concocted at Trader Vic's is:

3⁄4 oz Fresh lime juice

1⁄4 oz Simple syrup

1⁄4 oz Orgeat almond syrup

1⁄2 oz Cointreau

2 oz Premium aged rum (e.g., Appleton Estate 12-Year-Old)

And, though there is much difference about which version of the early Margarita was first, it's worth trying Tommy's (SF) take on the original:

2 oz 100% agave tequila (e.g., El Tesoro Reposado)

1 oz Lime juice

1⁄2 oz Agave nectar

(That's right- no orange stuff like triple sec)

BTW, avoid cheap booze in your cocktails and eschew sweet and sour (or other) mixers and blenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

• 2 weeks later...

Fellow Cruisers and Boozers... :)

Came across an absolutely AWESOME new drink. My wife had this last night at Houlihan's restaurant as part of their new Happy Hour menu. It's called "She sells sea shells" and I thought it was awesome enough to include on this list, especially since NCL bars stocks the Cruzan Rum line.

So the recipe:

.5oz Rum Chata poured on bottom of glass, add ice

Mixture added to above:

2oz Cruzan Black Cherry Rum

.75oz Pineapple Juice

.5oz Lime Juice

.5oz Simple Syrup

.5oz Blue Curacao

Added to the list and attached is a pic of the drink

1519157274_SheSellsSeaShellsPic1.jpg.5e46934f7eff2a7fb89c5d81c4858cb8.jpg

NCL UBP FAV DRINKS.xls

"She sells sea shells"

Sounds delicious, but probably one I should order early in the day. Either that or always order from the same bartender because I don't think I will be able to say the name correctly with one or two under my belt! :D

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this post! I can't wait to try some of these drinks.

Edited by Jac199
clarity

Fellow Cruisers and Boozers... :)

Came across an absolutely AWESOME new drink. My wife had this last night at Houlihan's restaurant as part of their new Happy Hour menu. It's called "She sells sea shells" and I thought it was awesome enough to include on this list, especially since NCL bars stocks the Cruzan Rum line.

So the recipe:

.5oz Rum Chata poured on bottom of glass, add ice

Mixture added to above:

2oz Cruzan Black Cherry Rum

.75oz Pineapple Juice

.5oz Lime Juice

.5oz Simple Syrup

.5oz Blue Curacao

Added to the list and attached is a pic of the drink

So, do all bars stock the Cruzan? My husband loves the Key Lime rum, and I swear he wagged his tail when I read your post for him.

If we just wanted the Cruzan on ice, can we get that on UBP? Sailing on Sunday. It CANNOT come soon enough.

Yes they all should have Cruzan rum and Yes a shot would more than be covered as it is not on the Premium List so it would be included in the UBP.

I had given small tips to the bartenders at the Pool Bar on Escape and they would literally get me anything... I was having double shots of "high end" Tequila with limes by the end of the cruise / Happy Happy Joy Joy! :)

• 2 weeks later...

We have a pocket sized ‘200 best cocktails’ book on our shelf. Was wondering if anyone has every tried bringing something like that along, and asking the bartenders to make specific cocktails from the book. If so, do they generally oblige, or say no?

We have a pocket sized ‘200 best cocktails’ book on our shelf. Was wondering if anyone has every tried bringing something like that along, and asking the bartenders to make specific cocktails from the book. If so, do they generally oblige, or say no?

I have two excellent apps on my iPhone "Mixologist" and "Drinks." However, I know by heart the classic recipes (and preferred premium ingredients) of my favorite cocktails:

Aviation

Sidecar

Margarita (Tommy's historic version)

Sazerac

Gin Martini

I have two excellent apps on my iPhone "Mixologist" and "Drinks." However, I know by heart the classic recipes (and preferred premium ingredients) of my favorite cocktails:

Aviation

Sidecar

Margarita (Tommy's historic version)

Sazerac

Gin Martini

Sazerac?

Do you use this recipe?

2 1/2 oz. rye whisky

1 sugar cube

2 dashes Peychaud's bitters

1 dash Angostura Bitters

absinthe

lemon peel

old-fashioned glass

And do they have absinthe on the ship?

Have never tried an Aviation

Are these the ingredients?

Gin

Maraschino liqueur

Crème de violette or Crème Yvette

Lemon juice

Many thanks

Edited by workingtocruise-59

Sazerac?

Do you use this recipe?

2 1/2 oz. rye whisky

1 sugar cube

2 dashes Peychaud's bitters

1 dash Angostura Bitters

absinthe

lemon peel

old-fashioned glass

And do they have absinthe on the ship?

Have never tried an Aviation

Are these the ingredients?

Gin

Maraschino liqueur

Crème de violette or Crème Yvette

Lemon juice

Many thanks

For the Sazerac, that recipe is OK. Brand of rye makes a big difference. Going cheap? Use Old Overholt. I'd prefer Templeton. I usually bring a small airline sized bottle of Absinthe on ships (not often stocked) and simple syrup is easier than a sugar cube.

Aviation is my absolute favorite cocktail. Don't use cheap gin. I prefer Bombay Sapphire for this drink. Creme de Violette is the true add-in (along with fresh lemon juice and Maraschino Liquor). Add the Violette last while stirring the other already ice shaken items and watch the storm! Not in the recipe is my added "bada bing" cherry (not the cheap neon red bar cherries). Google "bada bing" to find a store near you that carries them.

While we're at it:

Side Car: 2 parts Hennessy VSOP ("Privilege") Cognac; 1 part fresh lemon juice; 1 part Cointreau.

Margarita: El Tesoro (or any other really good) Reposado, fresh lime juice and agave nectar (never blend).

For the Sazerac, that recipe is OK. Brand of rye makes a big difference. Going cheap? Use Old Overholt. I'd prefer Templeton. I usually bring a small airline sized bottle of Absinthe on ships (not often stocked) and simple syrup is easier than a sugar cube.

Aviation is my absolute favorite cocktail. Don't use cheap gin. I prefer Bombay Sapphire for this drink. Creme de Violette is the true add-in (along with fresh lemon juice and Maraschino Liquor). Add the Violette last while stirring the other already ice shaken items and watch the storm! Not in the recipe is my added "bada bing" cherry (not the cheap neon red bar cherries). Google "bada bing" to find a store near you that carries them.

While we're at it:

Side Car: 2 parts Hennessy VSOP ("Privilege") Cognac; 1 part fresh lemon juice; 1 part Cointreau.

Margarita: El Tesoro (or any other really good) Reposado, fresh lime juice and agave nectar (never blend).

Thank you!

I didn't think that the ships would carry absinthe.

An Aviation sounds just like my kind of cocktail...

I'm in the UK and have googled Bada Bing cherries but I think they will be hard to find here. Maybe Luxardo maraschino cherries could be substituted?

And many thanks for the other recipes.

Edited by workingtocruise-59

Thank you!

I didn't think that the ships would carry absinthe.

An Aviation sounds just like my kind of cocktail...

I'm in the UK and have googled Bada Bing cherries but I think they will be hard to find here. Maybe Luxardo maraschino cherries could be substituted?

And many thanks for the other recipes. thank

I think the Luxardo cherries are like Bings (very common in the US northwest) - dark and plump? I have heard that the Luxardos are tart(?) while the Tillen Farms Bada Bings are a bit sweet.

Enjoy!

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I think the Luxardo cherries are like Bings (very common in the US northwest) - dark and plump? I have heard that the Luxardos are tart(?) while the Tillen Farms Bada Bings are a bit sweet.

Enjoy!

Thank you again.

Would you know whether it would be possible to enjoy an Aviation on NCL?

I would love to try one but, at the moment, we don't have any maraschino nor creme de violette ( but plenty of lemon juice and, of course, gin!!)

Thank you again.

Would you know whether it would be possible to enjoy an Aviation on NCL?

I would love to try one but, at the moment, we don't have any maraschino nor creme de violette ( but plenty of lemon juice and, of course, gin!!)

Not sure about NCL. Oceania has had the Luxardo at times. Creme de Violette has only come back into existence a few years ago after a long hiatus following its disappearance from production. I've yet to see it on an O ship. Haven't looked for the substitute Violette mentioned in earlier posts.

Onboard, my "go to" drinks (ingredients always available) are the aforementioned Side Car (Hennessy VSOP "Privilege" Cognac, Cointreau and fresh lemon juice); extra dry Bombay Sapphire or Hendrick's Martini and the classic Margarita with El Tesoro Reposado, fresh lime juice and agave nectar (though I can make an exception and add Cointreau instead of the agave - which they may not have).