First cruise on Grandeur, not what I expected

SKeighley

We decided to try the Grandeur when CCL Pride left Baltimore. Booked a whole year in advance and was very excited to try a new ship. We loved the Grandeur Centrum area, always something going on there. Two of my other favorite places were the Viking lounge in the afternoon and Schooners at night with the panio. Entertainment on this ship was great.

What I did not expect is to fall on the first day and spend the trip in a wheelchair. I broke my foot and ankle. All the staff were very supportive and helpful. Our room steward was always asking what we needed and how I was doing. windjammer staff found us a table each day for lunch and got my drinks. Very friendly and helpful.

The only problem we had was with guess service staff. From the first day asking for a wheelchair to the last questioning how I would get to our car since I could not walk very far, know one gave us the same answer. They had a very chilled attitude like they were reading their answers from a script. After the first day know one called to see how I was or if we needed anything.

We did book another cruise for Feb 2016. I would like to experience the grandeur without the wheelchair. Did not get to shop, use the pool or do some of the things I wanted .

What a shame about breaking your ankle, certainly not the way to begin your cruise and do hope your up and ready for your next one.:) Sorry also to hear you didn't receive more support from Guest Relations, they should have made sure someone could have assisted you better with any needs. I have learned to never judge an entire cruise line due to one ship & crew and it is possible you would have received better assistance from another sailing. Our cruises last Spring, we were on the same ship and had the same Room Steward thru two of the three cruises and she was a gem, yet our cabin steward for the final cruise, appeared to do only what he had to. We even asked for our original room steward since she had two rooms near us but she wasn't able to switch rooms.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

We decided to try the Grandeur when CCL Pride left Baltimore. Booked a whole year in advance and was very excited to try a new ship. We loved the Grandeur Centrum area, always something going on there. Two of my other favorite places were the Viking lounge in the afternoon and Schooners at night with the panio. Entertainment on this ship was great.

What I did not expect is to fall on the first day and spend the trip in a wheelchair. I broke my foot and ankle. All the staff were very supportive and helpful. Our room steward was always asking what we needed and how I was doing. windjammer staff found us a table each day for lunch and got my drinks. Very friendly and helpful.

The only problem we had was with guess service staff. From the first day asking for a wheelchair to the last questioning how I would get to our car since I could not walk very far, know one gave us the same answer. They had a very chilled attitude like they were reading their answers from a script. After the first day know one called to see how I was or if we needed anything.

We did book another cruise for Feb 2016. I would like to experience the grandeur without the wheelchair. Did not get to shop, use the pool or do some of the things I wanted .

Welcome to the new generation of cruising!

Also, it is not the cruise lines responsibility to get you to your car. If you needed assistance you would of had to ask the staff at the port once off the ship. Port staff is not employed by the cruise lines.

Welcome to the new generation of cruising!

Also, it is not the cruise lines responsibility to get you to your car. If you needed assistance you would of had to ask the staff at the port once off the ship. Port staff is not employed by the cruise lines.

We did and was told none was available. We were also told by "guest services" that yea I would have a wheelchair available to the terminal door. Did not happen. So we did check out all options

• 4 months later...
.... We loved the Grandeur Centrum area, always something going on there. ...Entertainment on this ship was great....

Just so you know, the entertainment you refer to as "loving the Grandeur Centrum...", has been let go, and there are quite a bit of Cruise Critic protests not having them there.

I for one, am canceling my Dec. cruise in Grandeur because of this. I love to dance and am a relatively good dancer and enjoyed this Trio who I believe to be the best in the business.:rolleyes:

Just so you know, the entertainment you refer to as "loving the Grandeur Centrum...", has been let go, and there are quite a bit of Cruise Critic protests not having them there.

I for one, am canceling my Dec. cruise in Grandeur because of this. I love to dance and am a relatively good dancer and enjoyed this Trio who I believe to be the best in the business.:rolleyes:

The centrum aerial show is back up and running. Mitch, the CD has posted a pic on his FB page and it's been reported here. But, I do realize that's not the only entertainment in the centrum and that the Evergreen Trio (a staple) is gone. We watched people dance to the live music all the time, but it neither makes or breaks our cruise.

Edited by BND

If you think that you canceling your cruise is going to make a difference, think again! There are plenty of us that enjoy sailing out of Baltimore on the Grandeur.

One band, show, or act will not make or break our cruise.

We sail for the total cruise experience.

If you think that you canceling your cruise is going to make a difference, think again! There are plenty of us that enjoy sailing out of Baltimore on the Grandeur.

One band, show, or act will not make or break our cruise.

We sail for the total cruise experience.

I agree. I work in marketing for a rather large company and losing a handful of people would not change our minds on a matter like this either. If a large group of people were lost, then it would matter. But, let's be honest. Only people who are involved in something like cruise critic are going to know about Evergreen Trio being let go. That's probably only around 2-3% of cruisers. Even if all of those people cancelled on Grandeur, it wouldn't make a difference in profit margins. In fact, it may even make the prices go down.

I don't mean to turn this thread into something it's not, just wanted to point something out before a potentially amazing vacation was cancelled by you or anyone else that may be reading this thread. We don't know WHY they were let go - was it a budget thing? A contract was up? Maybe they did something bad? Were they constantly late? Didn't play the right songs? It could have been RCI's fault but it equally could have been their fault as well. So many factors could have played into them being let go that we don't know. Go on your cruise, have fun, see what they end up offering instead. You may enjoy it! There is a lot more to Grandeur than the Centrum entertainment - don't let a change scare yourself (or others) off.

I agree. I work in marketing for a rather large company and losing a handful of people would not change our minds on a matter like this either. If a large group of people were lost, then it would matter. But, let's be honest. Only people who are involved in something like cruise critic are going to know about Evergreen Trio being let go. That's probably only around 2-3% of cruisers. Even if all of those people cancelled on Grandeur, it wouldn't make a difference in profit margins. In fact, it may even make the prices go down.

I don't mean to turn this thread into something it's not, just wanted to point something out before a potentially amazing vacation was cancelled by you or anyone else that may be reading this thread. We don't know WHY they were let go - was it a budget thing? A contract was up? Maybe they did something bad? Were they constantly late? Didn't play the right songs? It could have been RCI's fault but it equally could have been their fault as well. So many factors could have played into them being let go that we don't know. Go on your cruise, have fun, see what they end up offering instead. You may enjoy it! There is a lot more to Grandeur than the Centrum entertainment - don't let a change scare yourself (or others) off.

They will only private message people on FB to tell them the reason why they were let go, so that alone seems strange to me.