Description of entertainment and music

hersheymommy

Mike

You & Carol do a great job on documenting the ships when do you find the time to enjoy the cruise :D

Your website is my go to place for the Dailies & menus when people ask

Great job

Lyn

Thanks so much Lyn. Believe me, we thoroughly enjoy the cruise; plus I really do enjoy trying to collect as much info as possible to help other cruisers enjoy their cruise. I am so glad you have found our reviews useful.

Back to the original topic, I was pleasantly surprised at the evening shows on the Riviera compared to those on the Regatta. With the smaller ships only having a cast of 4 singers who do the dancing and singing, they are limited in what they can do. Of course if the singers are outstanding, they don't have to do that much for a decent show. With the Riviera having a much nicer theater and cast with singers and dancers, it was more like a larger ship show.

OP, if shows are a big deal for you, go on either the Riviera or Marina. Those shows should more enjoyable for you.

So am I. It will be interesting to see how Mike and Carol like a refurbished R ship.

We are also quite excited about experiencing the refurbished R. Plus traveling to mainland China, South Korea and Japan for the first time should should be incredible. We will be spending 4 days in Beijing before the cruise. Can't wait till the adventure begins next week.

We are also quite excited about experiencing the refurbished R. Plus traveling to mainland China, South Korea and Japan for the first time should should be incredible. We will be spending 4 days in Beijing before the cruise. Can't wait till the adventure begins next week.

I, with many others here I am sure, eagerly await your excellent reports from this trip.

Bon voyage!

Well, all the responses certainly have given me a lot to think about! Thank you! I think we would enjoy everything except the entertainment, so I will need to do more investigative work before booking anything.

Many thanks!

Well, all the responses certainly have given me a lot to think about! Thank you! I think we would enjoy everything except the entertainment, so I will need to do more investigative work before booking anything.

Many thanks!

If you are looking at port intensive cruise you may be too tired at night to worry about entertainment ...good or bad

Just enjoy a long dinner with great conversation with your tablemates or a drink in the bar

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Lyn

We are on the Regatta right now, and the entertainment is actually better than I had expected, based upon what I had read prior to our cruise. We've been to both of the production shows - the singers are really good. They are young kids pretty much just out of college and trying to get into show business. They also serve as the social staff and can be found about the ship helping out or leading the various activities. The house "band" is also quite good. They accompany the singers in the production shows and on a couple of nights they did their own performances. Last night was Big Band - clearly not current, but they were very good. There is also some sort of musical impressionist on board. We did not go to his shows, but I heard his was good. The string quartet plays around the ship at various times. Not my cup of tea, but they are quite good at what they do. For current music, there is a programmable "jukebox" type device in Horizons. Kind of looks like a tablet mounted on the wall, and guests can pick from various genres of music.

As for the "late night" scene - it's a bit better than I expected, but we've pretty much closed Horizons each night, typically around 12:00 ish. Up until that time there have been decent crowds on most nights. Last night was about 1:00, and the staff asked to close out our tabs prior to that. Martinis has not been opened late at all. I was also surprised how early the pool bar closes - I don't expect it to be open for late night drinks, but it closed by 6:00 the other day. We like being able to have a couple drinks when we return from wherever and before cleaning up for dinner. There are inside venues for this, but sometimes it's nice to just sit outside.

FYI - we are in our early 50's and like having stuff to do late night, even though we do get up and out fairly early. We are on a South American itinerary right now with some really interesting ports (it's not an "Around the Horn" itinerary.) The demographic on this ship is also a bit younger than I expected.

Agree

You can never predict what the demographics will be from cruise to cruise nor their preferences for the entertainment

Some never go to the lounge but expound how bad it is :D

Glad it is better than you expected

Just curious who is the musical impressionist??