Epic bathrooms- ideas?

ksbear

Some people are bothered by the doors on the shower and toilet stalls, others are not.

I think this begs the question what was the ship designer trying to accomplish with the this type of door? Does it have any advantages over traditional doors that have no opacity? If not, why do it?

Just got home from our Epic sailing. While I'm still not a fan of the bathroom set-up, we did eventually get used to it. I didn't like taking a shower and stepping into a cold open room. And despite completely closing the shower door and putting a towel on the floor, the shower still leaked a bit onto the "wood" floor. It looked like the floor was beginning to warp from the leaking. I much prefer a regular bathroom where you step out of the shower into a warm room. Our kids shared a cabin and they used the curtain to have some additional privacy. It was only a problem once when we were knocking on the door and my son didn't/couldn't answer because our daughter was showering. It is definitely an odd set-up and glad that no other cruise line to date has decided to copy this design.

As other folks have pointed out, this is not a black and white issue. These are all simply opinions, not facts, and I appreciate the kind words of folks who get this, whether or not they share my POV. As I stated before several times, this is for people who do care about this issue or who want to decide whether or not to sail the Epic. It certainly made our life easier and avoided potential embarrassment for pubescent teen siblings.

I've read that people have avoided the Epic because of the bathroom setup, and personally I don't think its necessary to avoid the ship when there is such a simple fix. So many times I read posts where so and so complains about an issue and I think "this wouldn't bother me" so I move on. Why waste time and harsh words on something that doesn't affect you?

I do think it was important to post photos as I was genuinely trying to help folks who DO care and was having a hard time finding good data. I wish I had had this information before boarding, as I would have been reassured that it's very easy to solve the privacy issue. If you look, you will notice my family member is fully clothed in the photos.

The frosted glass is better than clear, for sure, but it's not enough for us. Again, this is our opinion and not a fact. We recently stayed with a friend in a bedroom that had an open floor plan, a clear shower door within full view of the bed. We hated it as we couldn't use the shower until the bedroom was clear. Again, our opinion and we just quietly made sure the outside door was locked when we bathed. It was a hassle, but we dealt with it. I know this is becoming a trend in some developments, one I personally don't like, so I wouldn't buy a house with this floor plan. simple.

Europeans do have different cultural norms regarding privacy and nudity - as evidenced by the topless sunbathing in Nice- so I think it was wise to move the Epic to Europe. I also think NCl is wise to not repeat this design (unless they can make the doors opaque, which would make it an ideal situation for us, irt multitasking).

I will be basing my opinion based on feedback from the font of all knowledge -- my 24-year-old daughter. She and boyfriend are on the Epic this week. I'm sure she will have an opinion!! If so, I will share it.

Looking forward to the opinion, since I too have s 24 year old....lol

I'm curious, too! I don't think the shower setup would be a big deal for most couples, though not ideal IMO. At this point, after twenty years, the toilet isn't either for us :p

For a newlywed or dating couple, it's not exactly a romantic setup! You hear everything!

• 2 weeks later...

24-year daughter and boyfriend back from their Epic cruise.

They did not like the bathroom configuration. Opaque sliding doors highly criticized. Also, prefer both toilet and shower/bath in same room.

Otherwise, they loved the Epic and had, to quote her, an "amazing" time.

24-year daughter and boyfriend back from their Epic cruise.

They did not like the bathroom configuration. Opaque sliding doors highly criticized. Also, prefer both toilet and shower/bath in same room.

Otherwise, they loved the Epic and had, to quote her, an "amazing" time.

Interesting, while I guess we will find out for ourselves in about 55 days....wonder why they laid the rooms out that way, wonder what they were trying to accomplish using that set up...thanks for the opinion.

True Story. Before we were married 46 years ago, we had to go to the minister for pre-marital counselling.

This older pastor imparted several ideas which we thought were a little strange. In fact, we left the church and practically rolled on the ground with laughter.

One thing he told us was to never enter the bathroom when the other was there. Don't know how many times we've broken that rule over the years, but we did several times the first week of marriage.

The real question is, when someone swings the door open from the hallway, can anyone walking by see that someone is in the shower/toilet? That would be my only ick moment.

When I was on the Epic, we used the 'Do Not Disturb/Make up Room' Housekeeping wheel on the door to inform any incoming cabinmates that someone was using the facilities.

• 4 months later...
So, let me get this straight, if you enter or exit the cabin, if someone is walking past your door and happen to glance in, they could see a silhouette of your spouse or cabin mate in the bathroom or shower?

That is what some people would have you believe, but in the five years that the Epic has been sailing there hasn't been anyone reporting that someone saw them, or that they saw someone else in this fashion.

So, let me get this straight, if you enter or exit the cabin, if someone is walking past your door and happen to glance in, they could see a silhouette of your spouse or cabin mate in the bathroom or shower?

Probably not. The toilet and shower are quarter circle enclosures in the corners beside the door opening. If you stand against the interior wall on either side of the door, and someone is on the other side, they are unlikely to be able to see you. You can see the position of the toilet sitter and the door in this image.

epic-toilet.png

Probably not. The toilet and shower are quarter circle enclosures in the corners beside the door opening. If you stand against the interior wall on either side of the door, and someone is on the other side, they are unlikely to be able to see you. You can see the position of the toilet sitter and the door in this image.

epic-toilet.png

Thank you for the photo.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That is what some people would have you believe, but in the five years that the Epic has been sailing there hasn't been anyone reporting that someone saw them, or that they saw someone else in this fashion.

Well considering that there are only a small percentage of cruisers on Cruise Critic it's not surprising it hasn't been reported, if it did happen. Now if a room mate happens to enter/exit the cabin at the moment the person in the shower exits then the passer by (and room mate) might get to see more then they wanted. :eek: :D

Well considering that there are only a small percentage of cruisers on Cruise Critic it's not surprising it hasn't been reported, if it did happen. Now if a room mate happens to enter/exit the cabin at the moment the person in the shower exits then the passer by (and room mate) might get to see more then they wanted. :eek: :D

But that could happen on any ship where a person exits the bathroom at th same time that a roommate enters or exits the cabin.

But that could happen on any ship where a person exits the bathroom at th same time that a roommate enters or exits the cabin.

Not really. When the shower is in a separate room, and not in the cabin itself right next to the door, you can get dressed in the bathroom. On the Epic, you must step into the cabin to get dressed.

Not really. When the shower is in a separate room, and not in the cabin itself right next to the door, you can get dressed in the bathroom. On the Epic, you must step into the cabin to get dressed.

"Can" is simply playing semantics. Bottom line is that this issue only exists in maybe land....there are no reports anywhere of this ever actually happening. But let's not let facts get in the way of a little hysteria, right?

• 2 months later...

Well, factual it's even impossible to pass each other or even to get out of the shower when someone might be/could be/is passing that area of the cabin. You will block each other. It's that small and to my best knowledge the inward cabin door opens with the door towards the shower.

But like Shark said, don't let the facts run your show!

My daughter and I will be on the Epic in July and I have worried about the bathroom set up. So, I am thrilled for for the idea of a shower curtain for a bit of extra privacy. I'm not sure why people seem upset that some of us like a more private bathroom?? People on these boards seem to get worked up over the smallest things. Thanks for posting the pictures...very helpful and much appreciated[emoji106][emoji4]

My daughter and I will be on the Epic in July and I have worried about the bathroom set up. So, I am thrilled for for the idea of a shower curtain for a bit of extra privacy. I'm not sure why people seem upset that some of us like a more private bathroom?? People on these boards seem to get worked up over the smallest things. Thanks for posting the pictures...very helpful and much appreciated[emoji106][emoji4]

Please report back after your trip. :)

Epic is a great ship, sailed her a few occasions, if you use the in-room curtain and work around each other's shower/bathroom moments you'll be more than fine. No need for a shower curtain of your own, save that space in your suitcase for more useful things.

CC is about information and sharing, not about scaring people or letting them think anybody can see them getting in or out of a shower or other near impossible situations. We like to provide accurate information, that's all. Happy cruising!