QM2, perhaps no longer fit for a Queen.. Review

melb1988

I agree with the post as I've seen the pot holes repaired on a voyage I've been on, it can be done but it is still a recurring issue. /QUOTE]

Its a basic design fault surely.

David.

perhaps a semantic issue but

ships do not go into dry dock to fix things inside the ship. it is EXPENSIVE to be in a dry dock ... VERY EXPENSIVE. a ship enters a dry dock to inspect and replace/repair thigs you never see .... inlets and outlets thru the hull below the water line ... attachments point for the trust pods .... the pods themselves etc etc. a ship does not need to go into dry dock to replace carpeting - owners want to not pay the dry dock for one hour of dd time more than absolutely required.. however much of this sort of work interior happens when the ship is in dry dock as the ship IS out of service and it is easier to complete then. For obvious reasons this is also a good time to clean and paint the bottom - usually the entire hull.

& dry dock is not a "when we feel like it" thing. I don't know about the specifics outside of the US, but in the US the SOLAS regulations are the basis for US regulations enforced by the Coast Guard. For a vessel to load passengers in the US, the ship must have been dry docked (with all associated underwater hull inspections) 2 times in the past 5 years (different details for new construction of course) viewed at the date of the loading (sliding window). 'dem's da rules . . . US anyway

sometimes a dry dock session becomes a necessity ... an 'unscheduled' dry docking. a pod goes fubar .... not much can be fixed w/out a dry dock .... But worn carpets or a leaking pipe? No dd required . . .

Although true that General maintanance does not require dry docking, it seems that minimal maintance has been taking place during viyages.. (Yes we all see painting and other random works occurring here and there but the overall quality still presents as if nothing has been attended too)

The ship is dry dock when a major refit is needed. Just like the last in 2011 and just just the QE/QV had last year. So yes in fact, the ship does need to be dry docked for any significant work to be done inside as any time significant work has been done inside on a Cunard ship, it has been whilst it is dry docked.. It seems Cunard only does major internal repairs when it is dry docked, otherwise the issues I pointed out in my review would not exist.

Edited by melb1988

Difficult topic to get involved in as I know that it has been an emotive post! What I will say is that QE and QV are in a significantly better overall condition than QM2. QM2 is the most magnificent ship in the fleet but there are elements that do need refurbishment.

Having been on QV and QE either side on our trip on QM2 (a full back to back voyage) we all agreed that the Lido/Kings Court offering was vastly superior on the baby queens. The Hull really doesn't look good and I have photoshopped it in my pics in the last year as it spoils the look of the stunning ship! When you have the most famous ship in the world, that draws an audience wherever it travels and is much photographed, the exterior should be kept better.

Compare this with QE and QV, even before their dry docking, neither had this issue. It is the best ship in the fleet and the most magnificent but I agree the pools, hot tubs and the floors of the lower deck of the main corridor are showing wear. Likewise the lifts are showing much more wear than QE/QV and look more Travelodge than 5 star hotel. We all know the issues with the seats in Illuminations, which have existed for years. I adore the ship and Cunard but there are areas of the ship that need work.

People would be quick to highlight these areas if it was P&O or another cruise line but Cunard is the premium line and we should expect QM2 to reach the standards of QE and QV which in my opinion are immaculate. I honestly feel if I wanted to show Cunard as a consistently 5 star product throughout, then I'd choose QE or QV. QM2 has 6 star areas but some 3 star areas. Love her dearly and as a result I can forget those areas that need work but I can see someone who is less blindly in love than myself, would notice the lines. Queens Grill isn't cheap, it's far from it and so you can expect the best, we are talking a cost that is only affordable to people used to staying in 5 star hotels and flying business class. I find the prices on Cunard for standard rooms, to be very good value but the premium paid for the Grills is significant and therefore if I could afford it I would expect to feel extra special. I've always received fantastic service in Britannia, so the Grills needs to feel really special to justify the premium and butler service should be attentive

Well said! :)

As for the old "pothole" discussion again. I've stepped on a few of them - they seem more like soft spots. Four and a half inch stilettos, no problem. I have never seen anyone actually fall due to one.

Axelskater, trust me on this. Soft spots are not a problem.....in the lower hallways, there are a few areas where "sinkholes" describes it better. A high heel wrong step can result in disaster which it almost did for me. I have never actually seen anyone fall either but i didn't report mine and I'm guessing it's only a matter of time. The old saying......it didn't happen to me so it's not my problem. :)

Axelskater, trust me on this. Soft spots are not a problem.....in the lower hallways, there are a few areas where "sinkholes" describes it better. A high heel wrong step can result in disaster which it almost did for me. I have never actually seen anyone fall either but i didn't report mine and I'm guessing it's only a matter of time. The old saying......it didn't happen to me so it's not my problem. :)

One of the major problems is that because they are underneath the carpet, they are a complete suprise when you step in one! There's no warning or anything to indicate them... Lucky for people like us on these forums who are actually willing to admit to them! Much to some peoples disbelief or refusal to believe that unfortunately there are some faults with the QM2 currently :o

I'm certain you are not the only one who has had a stumble! I can't imagine someone with a walking stick or a frame doing much better if they came across one!

brigittetom, I have to agree with you - I didn't report my 'tripping' either. If Old Him hadn't be there to steady me, I would have gone down like a sack of potatoes dressed in a formal gown (how's that for a mixed metaphor?).

After that event, I never again wore heels more that 2 1/2 inches while on board: it might not be pretty, but then neither is a broken ankle. Good luck to those who wear 4 inch heels while on board.

Oh and just to mention, think about navigating those pot holes in four inch heels while the ship is experiencing severe weather:eek:

brigittetom, I have to agree with you - I didn't report my 'tripping' either. If Old Him hadn't be there to steady me, I would have gone down like a sack of potatoes dressed in a formal gown (how's that for a mixed metaphor?).

After that event, I never again wore heels more that 2 1/2 inches while on board: it might not be pretty, but then neither is a broken ankle. Good luck to those who wear 4 inch heels while on board.

Oh and just to mention, think about navigating those pot holes in four inch heels while the ship is experiencing severe weather:eek:

Better safe than sorry! :o

I'm starting to think that perhaps no one has reported their fall as to not 'cause a fuss' the crew are probably un aware of them although I would imagine many of them have taken the same tumble..

Hope the captain doesn't wear heels :D

Edited by melb1988

Melb1988, I've read your review with interest and I believe that the QM2 is in need of a lot of love, care and due attention which hopefully she will get when she is in dry dock. In the meantime we are prepared to accept her faults and are only to happy to sail on her (well, I know I am :D) whenever we get the chance.

Our last crossing was in December 2014 and we were upgraded from an inside cabin to a balcony with obstructed view on deck 8 (another source of moans from some people). We were thrilled with the cabin as it meant we could open the door and get fresh air and we could actually see the sea; however, just in front of the door was a slight depression (not as bad as some of the potholes we've encountered) but we didn't care.

With regards to the crew. We found them all charming and only too happy to help. Our dining table steward (Britannia) was always very attentive and if we had a problem with the food he would simply whisk it away and return with whatever we wanted, no questions asked.

Kings Court also seems to bring out the worst in people when they write reviews. I actually don't mind it, perhaps I'm easily pleased. DH and I have learned not to take the first thing you see but to walk round the whole of the KC before making your choice. We had lunch there most days and I honestly can say we never had a bad meal. The Golden Lion is wonderful, if you can get a seat!! The one grumble I would have here is that people seem to just sit there for ages without either food or drink so it is difficult to find a table. No easy solution to that one.

Perhaps next time you write a review you should put on a tin hat before you post it. I did, what I thought was an honest review for our trip on P&O's Oriana and I was 'flamed' by people who are not willing to accept that not everything is perfect, even when it stares them in the face.

Melb1988, I've read your review with interest and I believe that the QM2 is in need of a lot of love, care and due attention which hopefully she will get when she is in dry dock. In the meantime we are prepared to accept her faults and are only to happy to sail on her (well, I know I am :D) whenever we get the chance.

Our last crossing was in December 2014 and we were upgraded from an inside cabin to a balcony with obstructed view on deck 8 (another source of moans from some people). We were thrilled with the cabin as it meant we could open the door and get fresh air and we could actually see the sea; however, just in front of the door was a slight depression (not as bad as some of the potholes we've encountered) but we didn't care.

With regards to the crew. We found them all charming and only too happy to help. Our dining table steward (Britannia) was always very attentive and if we had a problem with the food he would simply whisk it away and return with whatever we wanted, no questions asked.

Kings Court also seems to bring out the worst in people when they write reviews. I actually don't mind it, perhaps I'm easily pleased. DH and I have learned not to take the first thing you see but to walk round the whole of the KC before making your choice. We had lunch there most days and I honestly can say we never had a bad meal. The Golden Lion is wonderful, if you can get a seat!! The one grumble I would have here is that people seem to just sit there for ages without either food or drink so it is difficult to find a table. No easy solution to that one.

Perhaps next time you write a review you should put on a tin hat before you post it. I did, what I thought was an honest review for our trip on P&O's Oriana and I was 'flamed' by people who are not willing to accept that not everything is perfect, even when it stares them in the face.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip onboard! As did we!

We also felt that many people just sit in the golden lion during lunch hours (and not actually order any food) which does make it difficult to get a seat, but when we managed we really enjoyed the food!

I can't understand why certain people feel the need to 'flame' people for posting their review.. Apart from being childish and rude of them, isn't the purpose of this site to provide informative reviews of all things relating to cruise ships!? Oh well, for every one 'troll' I like to think there's plenty of other people who are glad that they have such reviews available to them. I know I am! I come to this sight to research different ships all the time :)

Thank you for posting your review. I think a lot of us can agree that Cunard (Carnival) dropped the ball and should not have delayed the dry dock for 2015. "The Lady" is looking rather tired in places and being the flagship of the fleet deserves better. It certainly won't deter me from returning prior to that but it is sad to see these things.

In addition to the repair/refurbishment/redesign issues noted herein, many of the large windows on Decks 2 and 3 in the forward corridors have lost their seals and are permanently fogged. Some leak. These need to be replaced.

I share many of the same sentiments of the original poster and cannot understand how the flagship can be permitted to be so poorly maintained. I have noted several areas, both outside and within, looking quite deplorable. On a recent Caribbean cruise that involved tendering, for example, the waterline was observed to be very unsightly, in a condition far worse than that of most of the other ships with which we shared ports.

She needs and deserves a refit. But then again, some people take care of their cars while others abuse and drive them into the ground.

Thank you Melb1988 for the detailed review, and for others who also posted. We are doing a TA on the QM2 in May, and so recent info is useful. (As is knowing I'd best bring those kitten heels to navigate the hallways on formal nights.)

You can enjoy an overall experience without turning a blind eye to reality. I find the post quite fair and even-handed...with constructive and "actionable" observations. Hopefully Cunard cares enough to monitor resources like CC...though I'll not hold my breath in that regard! ;)

Thank you Melb1988 for the detailed review, and for others who also posted. We are doing a TA on the QM2 in May, and so recent info is useful. (As is knowing I'd best bring those kitten heels to navigate the hallways on formal nights.)

You can enjoy an overall experience without turning a blind eye to reality. I find the post quite fair and even-handed...with constructive and "actionable" observations. Hopefully Cunard cares enough to monitor resources like CC...though I'll not hold my breath in that regard! ;)

I can assure you that you will have an enjoyable trip on her regardless of what I have pointed out as we still had a great time onboard and were sad to leave!

In addition to the repair/refurbishment/redesign issues noted herein, many of the large windows on Decks 2 and 3 in the forward corridors have lost their seals and are permanently fogged. Some leak. These need to be replaced.

I share many of the same sentiments of the original poster and cannot understand how the flagship can be permitted to be so poorly maintained. I have noted several areas, both outside and within, looking quite deplorable. On a recent Caribbean cruise that involved tendering, for example, the waterline was observed to be very unsightly, in a condition far worse than that of most of the other ships with which we shared ports.

She needs and deserves a refit. But then again, some people take care of their cars while others abuse and drive them into the ground.

The colour of the hull at the water line alone, in my opinion is valid reason to dry dock her!! If I didn't know any better, I would say her hull was actually white, black & green rather than red! :confused:

Thanks for pointing this out.

It all makes sense now :)

Some people just love drama it seems.

Meanwhile, the rest of us can carry on enjoying this website/forum and everything it has to offer.

Hi Melb1988,

I can see you have some valid points regarding QM2 needing a re fit. I think anyone who sails on her regularly or otherwise will have noticed she needs some TLC. I wonder if you have considered writing to the head of Carnival

Micky Arison and pointing out the things you have mentioned in your opening post. As there seems to be good few people on here who all agree with you if not on all things.

Maybe let him know how the flagship has deteriorated in the past two years. and people are getting concerned. I am sure you would have many who would endorse their own findings and back you up.

I found the OP.s review to be quite well stated and while there will always be cheerleaders for any line of endeavor, may I suggest that we post the Dead Horse symbol on this one before someone gets injured for no good reason.

For what it's worth I stayed in a 5 Deck sheltered balcony last September when I joined many friends who were travelling Britannia grade...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/09/15/queen-mary-2s-gallic-discovery/

Iis the only time I have actually discovered Deck 5 and I can honestly say I never discovered or heard of any leaks that would have caused concern.

I thought those particular staterooms perfectly acceptable...

15147476522_0a416e9e19_z.jpg

For what it's worth I stayed in a 5 Deck sheltered balcony last September when I joined many friends who were travelling Britannia grade...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/09/15/queen-mary-2s-gallic-discovery/

Iis the only time I have actually discovered Deck 5 and I can honestly say I never discovered or heard of any leaks that would have caused concern.

I thought those particular staterooms perfectly acceptable...

15147476522_0a416e9e19_z.jpg

No one said anything about there being leaks on deck 5 nor did anyone mention anything about the staterooms on that deck being un acceptable. I mentioned the leaks and damaged ceiling along the corridor on deck 9.

Anyway getting back on track, Correct me if I'm wrong someone, but didn't QG restuarant used to feature china of the same pattern as PG but in gold instead of silver/grey? Or did I just imagine this?

It was the same china used in PG this time but I always thought QG had its own version. Not that there's a problem with it, just wondering if they changed it and why?

The colour of the hull at the water line alone, in my opinion is valid reason to dry dock her!! If I didn't know any better, I would say her hull was actually white, black & green rather than red! :confused:

Oh my, I don't think the current fares would bring in enough money to dry-dock the QM2 just for a cosmetic paint job and still make a bit of profit for the shareholders. And as a Carnival shareholder I certainly like getting a dividend check every three months. While aboard I can't see the worn red boot top at all, but do worry that I might twist an ankle because of one of those well hidden potholes under the carpets!

Oh my, I don't think the current fares would bring in enough money to dry-dock the QM2 just for a cosmetic paint job and still make a bit of profit for the shareholders. And as a Carnival shareholder I certainly like getting a dividend check every three months. While aboard I can't see the worn red boot top at all, but do worry that I might twist an ankle because of one of those well hidden potholes under the carpets!

Thanks for your response! It is interesting to hear from a shareholder! You do make a valid point re dry docking the ship just to fix the hull paint but I think if the ship was to be dry docked we'd all like to see all issues resolved! If my memory is correct not everything was attended to during the previous dry docking.

I must admit that I do not hold shares in any company so I cannot truly comment from personal experience but my opinion is that, wouldn't you as a share holder agree that sometimes it is more important to rectify issues whether that means for going a dividend now inorder to help protect the line for the future and all future dividends? It seems to me that these days major companies are more preoccupied with pleasing the share holders here and now at any cost, even if that means the service or product the company is offering is deteriorating.

I know the large company I work for is currently ensuring the protection of budgets and profits solely by cutting staff and lowering wage budgets which in turn is greatly affecting the service we are able to offer our customers. Sure it's keeping the shareholders happy for now, but at what cost? Customer is king and if they are not happy then how long will they continue being our customers if we can't seem to put their needs before our own for a bit inorder to ensure our survival?

Cunard customers expect a certain level of service and quality of product, if Carnival are allowing that quality to drop for the sake of that next divedend, then in my opinion the future of the company is at stake.. There's only so much a customer will put up with before they take their business elsewhere. What exactly is Carnivals plan to combat this if they can't even seem to present the Cunard flagship, the most famous ship in the world, in a suitable state due to 'money'

This worries me and I'm not even a share holder.

Would love to hear your thoughts! :)

Thank you

I've often toyed with the idea of Cunard launching more ships, whether they be the size of the QV/QE or even smaller (think Caronia) inorder to gain some market share in say the Caribbean, Asian, European & Australian markets to help boost profit? At numerous periods during the Companies vast history, Cunard has had big fleets. Is the current market in a state where a bigger and more versatile fleet would help with profit?

These new ships could try and cater for different demographics Eg: families after shorter cruise holidays, people after shorter port intensive cruises, younger people, more wealthy people perhaps (if one of the ships was to be high end luxury) just some ideas..

I'm beginning to feel that the world Voyage market is too niche where as the cruise market is booming! Look at Royal Caribbean, they are pumping ships out and filling them like no tomorrow. Here in Australia cruising is booming with record numbers choosing to take a local cruise each year!

Couldn't Cunard use booms like this to its advantage to help ensure that the line remains relevant well into the future?

It wouldn't be the first time Cunard has 'gone cruising' so to speak whilst still keeping true to the companies reputation.

Just a thought!

Just noticed today that, according to the Cunard site, the deck plans for QM2 change if one is taking a voyage after 5/10/15. ? Didn't compare them. Just wondering if anyone knows-- is maintenance or are repairs coming up onboard or something?

Just noticed today that, according to the Cunard site, the deck plans for QM2 change if one is taking a voyage after 5/10/15. ? Didn't compare them. Just wondering if anyone knows-- is maintenance or are repairs coming up onboard or something?

Just had a look, no changes that I can see other than changes to some of the stateroom catergories. Nothing major though.

I've often toyed with the idea of Cunard launching more ships, whether they be the size of the QV/QE or even smaller (think Caronia) inorder to gain some market share in say the Caribbean, Asian, European & Australian markets to help boost profit? !

For Cunard read Carnival. Carnival are building ships, just none for Cunard unfortunately.

David.