QM2, perhaps no longer fit for a Queen.. Review

melb1988

For Cunard read Carnival. Carnival are building ships, just none for Cunard unfortunately.

David.

A good debating point Balf.

From my perspective why on earth would they want to.

Cunard caters for a discerning international market and any more ships would open them up to more passengers of, shall we say, the more mass market orientated.

The current problem is, of course, that so many cruisers aspire to sailing with Cunard but don't have the ability to appreciate what it is all about.

Cunard harnesses this sector of the market with an increase in the number of 'mini' cruises. They are great for making money (us shareholders appreciate that) while ensuring the ethos on the longer voyages is maintained.

AS i have said many times. Cruise companies know what they are doing: coach cruisers can only speculate.

No one said anything about there being leaks on deck 5 nor did anyone mention anything about the staterooms on that deck being un acceptable. I mentioned the leaks and damaged ceiling along the corridor on deck 9.

Calm down dear. I didn't quote you.

A good debating point Balf.

From my perspective why on earth would they want to.

Cunard caters for a discerning international market and any more ships would open them up to more passengers of, shall we say, the more mass market orientated.

The current problem is, of course, that so many cruisers aspire to sailing with Cunard but don't have the ability to appreciate what it is all about.

Cunard harnesses this sector of the market with an increase in the number of 'mini' cruises. They are great for making money (us shareholders appreciate that) while ensuring the ethos on the longer voyages is maintained.

AS i have said many times. Cruise companies know what they are doing: coach cruisers can only speculate.

This must be the most patronising post I have read in a very long time.

I would suggest that of the Carnival owned cruise lines it is Seabourn that caters for the 'discerning international market,' and a new ship is to be introduced to that line.

The personal gripes aside, I find the whole standards slipping / ship needs a refurb comments really interesting.

No doubt a ship in constant service needs a good refit every half decade. Sadly the next one is now scheduled after my Jan crossing next year. I just hope that it is a full refit and not a partial one like on the Diamond Princess (their buffet area is half new and half old furnishings - looks weird).

Despite this, I know I'll have a wonderful time on board.

Ultimately, I do wish CC existed during the late 50s and 60s as it would have been interesting to see how loyal Cunard passengers felt about the ageing Queens and whether there was a feeling that standards were slipping as Cunard began sending QM and QE (original) on short booze cruises and Caribbean sailings to make ends meet during the hey day of the jet age.

I'm sure similar 'discussions' to now would have taken place. Although there are heated voices, I think it really does go to show how passionate posters here are about Cunard.

All in all, that is a good thing in my view. You just don't see that kind of fire in the fingers of Carnival, or Seabourn, posters. In the latter's case I suppose that should be the fingers of their servants! (that's a joke...servants aren't allowed opinions let alone Internet access).

The personal gripes aside, I find the whole standards slipping / ship needs a refurb comments really interesting.

No doubt a ship in constant service needs a good refit every half decade. Sadly the next one is now scheduled after my Jan crossing next year. I just hope that it is a full refit and not a partial one like on the Diamond Princess (their buffet area is half new and half old furnishings - looks weird).

Despite this, I know I'll have a wonderful time on board.

Ultimately, I do wish CC existed during the late 50s and 60s as it would have been interesting to see how loyal Cunard passengers felt about the ageing Queens and whether there was a feeling that standards were slipping as Cunard began sending QM and QE (original) on short booze cruises and Caribbean sailings to make ends meet during the hey day of the jet age.

I'm sure similar 'discussions' to now would have taken place. Although there are heated voices, I think it really does go to show how passionate posters here are about Cunard.

All in all, that is a good thing in my view. You just don't see that kind of fire in the fingers of Carnival, or Seabourn, posters. In the latter's case I suppose that should be the fingers of their servants! (that's a joke...servants aren't allowed opinions let alone Internet access).

Fingers crossed the next refit is a big one! This could realistically be the reason why they have held it off.. I didn't know that the diamond refit was a half job!? Wow! I thought she came out of it brand spanning new! Obviously not..

Great point you raise re the old Queens in the 50's/60's! That would definitely made for some interesting discussion indeed! Agreed that like many modern conversations about Cunard, some people would have been very worked up!

I wonder if the P&O supporters are just as passionate about their line seeing as that is also rather historical too. I must admit I've never browsed the P&O forums! I really should now, thinking about it!

Fingers crossed the next refit is a big one! This could realistically be the reason why they have held it off.. I didn't know that the diamond refit was a half job!? Wow! I thought she came out of it brand spanning new! Obviously not..

Great point you raise re the old Queens in the 50's/60's! That would definitely made for some interesting discussion indeed! Agreed that like many modern conversations about Cunard, some people would have been very worked up!

I wonder if the P&O supporters are just as passionate about their line seeing as that is also rather historical too. I must admit I've never browsed the P&O forums! I really should now, thinking about it!

No, the Diamond refit was mostly a few of the public spaces. There was no major refurb of cabins etc. The ship is still in good shape, but it looks weird to see old juxtaposed with new.

The QE refurb was brilliantly done and I really like the flat screens on the wall opposite the bed. Now all Cunard needs to do is introduce video on demand like Princess has. It's like being on a plane - choose from a whole library of things to watch when you want (and you can pause, fast forward, etc).

The only issue with the QE was the carpet was still new and clothing that touched it got fluff on it. I'm sure that has resolved itself by now. I'll be able to check - I booked the same stateroom I had last time. Perfect location near the lifts.

Line loyalty is a fantastic thing. It can be extreme at times, but passion is what steers us forward. I just hope Cunard has such a zealous crowd in decades to come, debating all sorts of issues such as:

- It's not as good as the QM3

- Standards are slipping due to the replacement of the Wedgewood with paper plates and plastic cutlery

- The removal of Baked Alaska from menus due to the insensitivity of the name since Alaska has been baked by global warming

- The abolition of formal night and the introduction of singlets and thongs (wifebeaters and flip flops) nights

- Appasionatta's 50th anniversary as the only night time entertainment (now performed 3 times a night every night)

- Sinkholes so big that the ships now sport the world's first interior water slides

- Crew using Pol Aker to clean the rust off the sides of the ship as well as serving it to passengers (I think this is also a current issue for debate)

No, the Diamond refit was mostly a few of the public spaces. There was no major refurb of cabins etc. The ship is still in good shape, but it looks weird to see old juxtaposed with new.

The QE refurb was brilliantly done and I really like the flat screens on the wall opposite the bed. Now all Cunard needs to do is introduce video on demand like Princess has. It's like being on a plane - choose from a whole library of things to watch when you want (and you can pause, fast forward, etc).

The only issue with the QE was the carpet was still new and clothing that touched it got fluff on it. I'm sure that has resolved itself by now. I'll be able to check - I booked the same stateroom I had last time. Perfect location near the lifts.

Line loyalty is a fantastic thing. It can be extreme at times, but passion is what steers us forward. I just hope Cunard has such a zealous crowd in decades to come, debating all sorts of issues such as:

- It's not as good as the QM3

- Standards are slipping due to the replacement of the Wedgewood with paper plates and plastic cutlery

- The removal of Baked Alaska from menus due to the insensitivity of the name since Alaska has been baked by global warming

- The abolition of formal night and the introduction of singlets and thongs (wifebeaters and flip flops) nights

- Appasionatta's 50th anniversary as the only night time entertainment (now performed 3 times a night every night)

- Sinkholes so big that the ships now sport the world's first interior water slides

- Crew using Pol Aker to clean the rust off the sides of the ship as well as serving it to passengers (I think this is also a current issue for debate)

:D:D this gave me such a laugh hahahaha!

I'm also loving the look of the new TV's on QE! And I was unaware that princess had introduced such a thing re the movies on demand! That's a fantastic idea, I did find the TV programs/movies rather dull during the voyage :( but movies/shows on demand would be great! Let's hope it spreads across the lines :)

One other thing I've forgotten to mention in this whole review/thread (off topic to what you are talking about but I feel a fellow Aussie May appreciate) you know of Chris Frame I presume? The Australian Cunard enthusiast/historian/lecturer/Author. Well after my last voyage I sent him some high quality photos of the ship and its interiors we took during our voyage. Browsing through his book, 'QM2 a photographic journey' (the latest reprint) onboard this time, what do I spot!? Many of my photos in his book! My name acknowledged also! So that was a fantastic suprise! Had to buy the book obviously as my name and photos feature in it! It's rather special to me as I have soooo many books about Cunard and now I have one that I'm involved in :) go Aussies!!

Edited by melb1988

I would suggest that of the Carnival owned cruise lines it is Seabourn that caters for the 'discerning international market,' and a new ship is to be introduced to that line.

This is the guy who calls a pothole "unevenness in the main passage way on Deck 2"

He is likely just as blind to noticing that the discerning international passenger has long gone. And he doesn't like it one bit.

David.

I've learned two things by reading all this:

#1 - people seem to have a lot of time on their hands. I am constantly working, and posting this at work during a brief respite! - in order to support my cruise habit

#2 - I have some sort of weird superhuman sense of balance....

. I am constantly working, and posting this at work during a brief respite! - in order to support my cruise habit

Well some of us are retired, though I envy you in your work, and yes most here do try I believe to preserve a sence of balance, difficult as it is at times.

David.

Well some of us are retired, though I envy you in your work, and yes most here do try I believe to preserve a sence of balance, difficult as it is at times.

David.

I have three beautiful Cunard posters from the 1920's, 30's & 40's hanging in my office to remind me of why I work so hard. I also have some old advertisements from when Cunard sold trips to the 1939-40 World's Fair, and they were advertised as "Cunard White Star Line". Always looking forward to the next voyage!

...but my sense of balance was meant physically - since I have not fallen in the potholes yet :D

I did say "yet" though.

I have three beautiful Cunard posters from the 1920's, 30's & 40's hanging in my office to remind me of why I work so hard. I also have some old advertisements from when Cunard sold trips to the 1939-40 World's Fair, and they were advertised as "Cunard White Star Line". Always looking forward to the next voyage!

...but my sense of balance was meant physically - since I have not fallen in the potholes yet :D

I did say "yet" though.

How about a letter from the 1922 world cruise or a true photo of the Aquitania sailing into New York Harbor. Along with multiple advertisements from the 1900-1914 of various Cunard ships. Back in the time when one most likely did not even consider bringing along a bubbler of spring water or needed to ask what to wear at any time during the day or evening.

How about a letter from the 1922 world cruise or a true photo of the Aquitania sailing into New York Harbor. Along with multiple advertisements from the 1900-1914 of various Cunard ships. Back in the time when one most likely did not even consider bringing along a bubbler of spring water or needed to ask what to wear at any time during the day or evening.

I'd love to see all of those! Many are the hours I have spent poring over ebay Cunardia. I don't like to fly so I am partial to QM2 since I can often times avoid flying to sail her, but from what I have read, the QV has a "Cunardia museum" of sorts? I actually got on a plane last Christmas to see the original Queen Mary in CA. It was alternately depressing and wonderful. I am glad I did it though.

For Christmas, my husband bought me a framed copy of my favorite Cunard ad - it's the QE2 & Concorde ad from the late 80's early 90's.

I got it immediately. :D. I'm sure there are thousands of ladies who don't even know what we are talking about. A lot has to do with where your cabin is located and which elevator you use. You may never encounter one.....so keep wearing those stilettos and mind your step. :D

The original QM and QE were rather infamously well known for being quite tattered in their final years cosmetically inside and out, but I have never heard of any slippage in the quality of food or service.

As a very young man I visited and toured through QUEEN ELIZABETH just after she was retired in 1968 and remember quite vividly that although her interiors were magnificent, the carpets and furnishings were threadbare.

I got it immediately. :D. I'm sure there are thousands of ladies who don't even know what we are talking about. A lot has to do with where your cabin is located and which elevator you use. You may never encounter one.....so keep wearing those stilettos and mind your step. :D

Look closely at my profile pic...I am on figure skates at the ice rink in front of the Queen Mary. That must have something to do with it! But, if I fall in a pothole before that refit - well, I hope it's softer than the ice!

(I will refrain from even commenting on the fact they stuck an ice rink in front of the Queen Mary)

Edited by axelskater

The original QM and QE were rather infamously well known for being quite tattered in their final years cosmetically inside and out, but I have never heard of any slippage in the quality of food or service.

As a very young man I visited and toured through QUEEN ELIZABETH just after she was retired in 1968 and remember quite vividly that although her interiors were magnificent, the carpets and furnishings were threadbare.

Very interesting! do you know where I could find some colour photos of the interiors of the ships taken around the time they retired or just after? I would love to have a look :)

From the images I've seen the original Queen Elizabeth was late Art Deco inside. In many ways she was superior to the Queen Mary but the older sister was the "it" ship. Maybe that came from QM being a Blue Riband holder while the title was never attempted with the QE. Scrapping would have been a more merciful end than burning in agony.

Two ships I wish I had sailed on were the QE and the SS America - they represented the height of pre-WII shipbuilding.

From the images I've seen the original Queen Elizabeth was late Art Deco inside. In many ways she was superior to the Queen Mary but the older sister was the "it" ship. Maybe that came from QM being a Blue Riband holder while the title was never attempted with the QE. Scrapping would have been a more merciful end than burning in agony.

Two ships I wish I had sailed on were the QE and the SS America - they represented the height of pre-WII shipbuilding.

She was indeed late Art Deco! I do have some books about her, with some great photos of her interiors, but none (that I know of) taken at her retirement. We're so used to seeing perfect images of QM/QE interiors, I think it would be interesting to see some that depict the worn start towards the end. I'm even struggling to find some decent images of the QM interiors just after she retired. Surely someone took some

Pics before she was handed over to Longbeach or there must be some photos just prior to her long beach make over.

I always have this idea that ships built pre war must have had some shocking plumping issues towards the end of their careers! I'm fairly certain the toilets etc were no different to the ones found ashore today! The QM2 seems to be experiencing some leaks, I can only imagine what happened to the plumbing on those other ships!

Perhaps someone here can comment but I wonder what the general traveling public thought of the QE/QM in the end? Was there a sense of nostalgia about them with still some appriciation for their pre war luxurious interiors or were they seen as just very old, outdated relics? Obviously trends come and go, but when I look at original photos of the QE2, I can't help but thing how un luxurious it looks compared to the old Queens, sure it was space age modern 60's decor for the period, but still. It seems as if it was geared heavily towards the young folk of the day! I can't imagine many of the older Cunard loyals of the day enjoying the overall decor of the ship too much.

#1 - people seem to have a lot of time on their hands. I am constantly working, and posting this at work during a brief respite! - in order to support my cruise habit

Regarding your # 1 and your #2, Thanks for sharing :D

You are of course entitled to your opinion as I am entitled to mine.

May I suggest you read this...

http://www.beyondships.com/QM2-art-Oloughlin.html

It may just enlighten you on your 'discerning international market' quip.

We Are Cunard.

For any Australians interested, it seems the Today show will be broadcast live from the Queen Victoria, Thursday morning when she meets up with Mary in Sydney! :)

Hopefully they'll do a brief tour of both ships!

For those who don't live in Aus, hopefully I will be able to find a link to share here so you can watch it back :)

For any Australians interested, it seems the Today show will be broadcast live from the Queen Victoria, Thursday morning when she meets up with Mary in Sydney! :)

For those who don't live in Aus, hopefully I will be able to find a link to share here so you can watch it back :)

I might pop outside for a quick look at the two Queens on Thursday. Will see if I have time to take some photos.

Cheers Melb1988

Thanks for the info. ;)

Edited by Pennbank