Passenger services act- b/b

rsail203

If the ship can make the journey from Seattle to Vancouver and then Vancouver to Hawaii, then why can't the passenger?
Because the law does not prohibit the ship from traveling from one US port to another.

The PVSA prohibition is on transporting passengers between two US ports without visiting a distant foreign port, and as cruisestitch explained, Vancouver is not a distant foreign port.

OP hope one of the combinations you're looking into works out for you. Hopefully one day this law will be revised so you can stay on one ship/cruise line to enjoy what you plan via a workaround of changing ships! Thinking positive it will add to the experience and provide some interesting comparisons between cruises!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You mentioned that you couldn't get off in Victoria. Why? Did Celebrity stop you or Canadian customs? Also, you say that Norwegian Sun was a bad cruise. Can you give me more info about why it was bad as it is one of the possible cruises that I'm considering.

OP have you looked at the Infinity? It is doing Vancouver return cruises to Alaska to replace Century. I have no idea how it would join up with the Solstice dates and you may not like the M class. I'm sure you also know that Millennium is doing the one ways Seward to Vancouver. Just a thought.

The Millennium doesn't get back to Vancouver until Sept. 11th, two days after the Solstice sails. The Infinity gets back to Vancouver on Sept. 4th. If we take that ship (which does an Alaska cruise on Aug.28th) we would have a 5 day wait in Vancouver before the Solstice cruise. I'm not sure we could add an extra 5 days to the 2 cruises.

If the first cruise is from Seattle to Vancouver and the second is from Vancouver to Hawaii, then I am not sure that getting off in Victoria and making your own way to Vancouver to re board would be considered by the cruise line to successfully meeting the requirements of the act since the cruise is booked to Vancouver.

I was replying about OPs situation, not mine. Didnt do Victoria. If he was booked on both legs it would be considered a continuation of trip. Had not been on NCL in maybe 7 years, used to like it. Sun is smaller ship,mediocre to my taste best description.I do like the older, smaller ships of Celebrity though. Thought Century would make a great World Cruiser.

If the first cruise is from Seattle to Vancouver and the second is from Vancouver to Hawaii, then I am not sure that getting off in Victoria and making your own way to Vancouver to re board would be considered by the cruise line to successfully meeting the requirements of the act since the cruise is booked to Vancouver.

It should because there is more than a 24 hour break.

It should because there is more than a 24 hour break.
Yes, normally that would be fine and a very good way to do it, but in this particular case it looks like they would just narrowly miss it!

That is really a shame.

I had not checked the timing when I posted previously, but out of curiosity I just went and looked it up.

The Solstice is scheduled to arrive in Victoria at 6 pm and depart Vancouver at 5 pm the next day, so it looks like it would not work for them after all, unless they can bribe someone to tweak the schedule a little to keep the ship in Vancouver a few hours longer. ;)

(You may want to double check me on this, just in case I did not get the correct times here.)

I've gotten some good suggestions and advice here. I'm still not sure what I'll do as RCI, Carnival and HAL itineraries have not come out yet. Princess itineraries are not a match. I won't do the Victoria option as it seems to be illegal (23 hours) and too much trouble. I may decide to book the Infinity Alaska cruise on Aug. 28th to Sept. 4th. That will leave us 5 days in Vancouver between cruises. I would love to do this if I can convince my wife to travel for 24 days. She will have just started her retirement. I've been retired for several years.

For those of you who know the area, what can I tell her that we can do for 5 days. We would rent a car and we love travel, mountains, scenery and wildlife.

Thanks again everybody,

Rich

Edited by rsail203
duplicate wording

rsail203,

I found this very enlightening thread over on the Alaska Ports of Call board and thought it would be both interesting and informative to you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2098532&highlight=victoria+early+disembarkation

Good luck with your B2B dilemma! ;)

Some interesting information there, but really mixing apples and oranges.

That situation has nothing to do with rsail203's problem.

.......For those of you who know the area, what can I tell her that we can do for 5 days. We would rent a car and we love travel, mountains, scenery and wildlife.

On the West coast departures board, check out this link:

Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

It's a very long old thread, but still active with lots of good information there and a good place to post any questions you have about Vancouver.

(Go to the last couple of pages for the most recent posts.)

There is daliflor's

***PHOTO Vancouver walking tour

Just skip over the hotel photos at the beginning

There is the Vancouver tourism site

Vancouver things to do | attractions activities entertainment in Vancouver

You can scroll down and click the link to subscribe to their newsletter

TripAdvisor is always a good source for ideas. Here is a link:

Top 30 things to do in Vancouver, Canada: Vancouver Attractions

For a train buff, a train ride across the Canadian Rockies is great, but can be expensive

Rocky Mountaineer

Or you can drive at least part of the Canadian Rockies yourself with a rental car. If you have time to drive the Icefields Parkway and around the Lake Louise - Banff area, you will see some spectacular scenery.

Much closer to Vancouver, you can take a ride out to Whistler

Whistler Tourism: Best of Whistler, British Columbia - TripAdvisor

There is a lot to do and see in the Vancouver area and also in the Victoria area and out on the rest of Vancouver Island. It would be easy to spend 5 days sightseeing there.

Edited by varoo

Do you like Wine? September would be a lovely time to visit BC's wine country, The Okanagan. 5 days might be a bit short to do the Banff Drive and back as pretty as it is. But you could take the Hope Princeton to Osoyoos and enjoy some lovely scenary and be rewarded with wine on the other end :) It's about a 5 1/2 hour drive that route.

Some interesting information there, but really mixing apples and oranges.

That situation has nothing to do with rsail203's problem.

rails203 was looking to possibly disembark in Victoria, which is what the link I made reference to addressed.

I just found this schedule on the cruise cal board. I can't find it on RCI"s board or anywhere alse yet but it seems to solve my problem as the itinerary gets me to Vancouver just in time to sail on the Solstice.

I have questions though, which I'll put in a seperate post.

04/03/2016 17 Nights Display Printable

04/20/2016 11 Nights Display Printable

05/15/2016 5 Nights Display Printable

05/20/2016 7 Nights Display Printable

05/27/2016 7 Nights Display Printable

06/03/2016 7 Nights Display Printable

06/10/2016 7 Nights Display Printable

06/17/2016 7 Nights Display Printable

06/24/2016 7 Nights Display Printable

07/01/2016 7 Nights Display Printable

07/08/2016 7 Nights Display Printable

07/15/2016 7 Nights Display Printable

07/22/2016 7 Nights Display Printable

07/29/2016 7 Nights Display Printable

08/05/2016 7 Nights Display Printable

08/12/2016 7 Nights Display Printable

08/19/2016 7 Nights Display Printable

08/26/2016 7 Nights Display Printable

09/02/2016 7 Nights

Radiance Of The Seas Depart: 08:00 PM 09/02/2016 Seward (Anchorage), Alaska, United States

Radiance Of The Seas 02:00 PM - 06:00 PM 09/03/2016 Hubbard Glacier, Alaska

Radiance Of The Seas 09:00 AM - 09:00 PM 09/04/2016 Juneau, Alaska Silver Shadow 9:30 AM - 11:00 PM

Radiance Of The Seas 07:00 AM - 08:30 PM 09/05/2016 Skagway, Alaska, United States Silver Shadow 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Radiance Of The Seas 07:00 AM - 04:00 PM 09/06/2016 Icy Strait, Alaska Celebrity Infinity 3:00 PM - 10:00 PM (Tender)

Radiance Of The Seas 09:00 AM - 06:00 PM 09/07/2016 Ketchikan, Alaska Norwegian Sun 7:00 AM - 4:00 PM (Dock)

Radiance Of The Seas 09/08/2016 Inside Passage, Alaska

Radiance Of The Seas Arrive: 07:00 AM 09/09/2016 Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Celebrity Solstice 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM (Dock)

1-I notice that no cruises are listed between May 1st and May 15th. Any ideas on why?

2- Anchorage and Seward. Where is the actual port. Do you have to travel from an airport area to a dock area. Of course I'll ask this question on the Alaska board as well.

3- The port in Vancouver. Do the ships dock in the same area? Can I get off Radiance of the Seas and go right over to Sostice or would I have to take a taxi to another area.

Thanks again to all you posters that have replied to my questions. I'm now very hopeful that this will resolve my problems.

Edited by rsail203
missing a word

I think you've just solved your B2B problem! And it's not the first time to discover a ship's itinerary before it was even announced and open for sale by using these port schedule guides as a tool. Great job!

1-I notice that no cruises are listed between May 1st and May 15th. Any ideas on why?

2- Anchorage and Seward. Where is the actual port. Do you have to travel from an airport area to a dock area. Of course I'll ask this question on the Alaska board as well.

3- The port in Vancouver. Do the ships dock in the same area? Can I get off Radiance of the Seas and go right over to Sostice or would I have to take a taxi to another area.

Thanks again to all you posters that have replied to my questions. I'm now very hopeful that this will resolve my problems.

1. As to May 1-15, which ship are you speaking of, Radiance or Solstice?

2. Ships leave from Seward, but of course you'll fly into Anchorage. I'm not sure of the distance between the two, but I believe it's a least two hours drive/shuttle, perhaps a little longer. You can also take the train Anchorage-Seward and it can be booked in conjunction with your Radiance cruise.

3. Vancouver has two cruise terminals -- Canada Place and Ballantyne. Canada Place is the primary terminal and can handle three ships simultaneously. I believe Ballantyne is used as a secondary terminal when more than three ships are calling on the same day. So it's possible you'd have to transfer between terminals. There are port websites that probably don't show the Sept 2016 schedules yet, but as time goes on you can answer that question.

As mentioned above Ballantyne gets used quite infrequently but it does occasionally get used in May and September when we have super busy weekends. They are only a 10/15 minute cab ride. Glad you found something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All cruises are docked at Canada Place in Vancouver. Ballantyne is no longer being used. So you would be in the same location:)

Is that because no more than three ships call in Vancouver on a single day anymore? Reason I ask is because we sailed from Ballantyne in September last year, and there were three other ships docked at Canada Place.