Man overboard on the Glory

pamrose228

Of course, murder / suicide are options, and this has occurred in the past. However, being Spring break week, I have my suspicions. It will be what it will be. Yeah, your chances of surviving such a fall can be pretty slim. If it is murder, that's a different story. Suicide; then do it so you do not affect so many others. Foolishness; you got what you deserved. Sorry.

What a hearltess statement to post!! I have several family with mental health illness. It is something I would not wish upon any human being. It destroys a person. Absolutely takes every bit of them. And to say ANYONE deserves that.......

A person with a mental illness would give and they pray to please make them feel better and normal. Sometimes it's too much for them.... Obviously they are not able to think of how they affect others!! I just pray my closest loved one comes out of her current state........ Because suicide rates in mentally ill are HIGH...VERY HIGH!

Hoping they find this young man, and he lives to tell of his "adventure." I can't imagine anything more horrifying than going overboard and watching the ship sail away. Prayers out to him and his family.

How does one go overboard on a ship unless copious amounts of alcohol are involved? Well, it's one of the Spring break weeks, so no surprise.

Sorry if I do not sound sympathetic. This just messes up everyone's cruise. :(

I'm sure his family and friends, and probably the guy himself are really sorry his death messed up someone's vacation.

Seriously? He's likely dead. They're all on board, drinking, swimming, playing trivia, napping, eating. So they will miss a port, happens all the time on cruises.

The second time I was aboard the Glory a man was thrown over board in a fight. He was found miles away a day or two later, alive, but in rough shape. When we reached Nassau two men were taken off in cuffs.

Edited by ASchaff

Of course, murder / suicide are options, and this has occurred in the past. However, being Spring break week, I have my suspicions. It will be what it will be. Yeah, your chances of surviving such a fall can be pretty slim. If it is murder, that's a different story. Suicide; then do it so you do not affect so many others. Foolishness; you got what you deserved. Sorry.

The lack of compassion just shocks me. It really does.

Mental illness is not foolishness. It is as much a medical disorder as epilepsy. Do you tell someone who injures themselves while have an epileptic seizure that they got what they deserved? Do you tell a diabetic who loses a leg due to poor circulation they got what they deserves?

Mentally healthy people do not commit suicide. People don't commit suicide to hurt other people's vacations. They commit suicide because they are hurting so so so much that they just want it to be over, that they want to be at peace. They deserve empathy, compassion, not disdain.

And if he was drunk, so what? SO freaking WHAT? When has getting drunk on vacation and doing something stupid warrant DEATH?

Mental illness is not foolishness. It is as much a medical disorder as epilepsy. Do you tell someone who injures themselves while have an epileptic seizure that they got what they deserved? Do you tell a diabetic who loses a leg due to poor circulation they got what they deserves?

Mentally healthy people do not commit suicide. People don't commit suicide to hurt other people's vacations. They commit suicide because they are hurting so so so much that they just want it to be over, that they want to be at peace. They deserve empathy, compassion, not disdain.

And if he was drunk, so what? SO freaking WHAT? When has getting drunk on vacation and doing something stupid warrant DEATH?

Thank you for your post. You've got it exactly right. If any of these mean posters had a family member, or especially a child, with a mental illness, they would not post what they are. If they had a child, even if it is an adult child, lost in the water.... I can't imagine they would be posting what they are. And they would be in complete horror waiting for word. I would give up an ENTIRE cruise and certainly not be whining about a ruined vacation, if it saved another human being's life!!

so the last few posters' can you see the "." prior to the word foolishness ??

yea if the dude was climbing the railing being foolish, and fell he got what he deserved ( although nobody deserves to die)

the poster wasnt saying people with illness are foolish and get what they deserve!! sheesh people

What a hearltess statement to post!! I have several family with mental health illness. It is something I would not wish upon any human being. It destroys a person. Absolutely takes every bit of them. And to say ANYONE deserves that.......

A person with a mental illness would give and they pray to please make them feel better and normal. Sometimes it's too much for them.... Obviously they are not able to think of how they affect others!! I just pray my closest loved one comes out of her current state........ Because suicide rates in mentally ill are HIGH...VERY HIGH!

and thats not what they said...

Good way to ruin a cruise for everyone. I just got off the Breeze today and had an amazing. Time. I don't know how i would have reacted to someone falling over. I Travel a lot by myself so i post on Facebook every night before going to bed to let my family know i am ok. Not a bad idea for those alone.

Sunshine cruiser I agree with you BUT...

:confused::confused: Where did he say that mental illness is foolishness??? I see a period before the word foolishness....

We are circling with the Coast Guard, helicopters and other ships. Bad deal for everyone involved. Everyone I have spoken to feels bad and is totally understanding of the circumstances. We're all just hoping and praying for a positive outcome.

Trent

Personally I would like to thank the passengers who are currently on board the Glory for giving us the facts as they know them and not throwing around lots of rumors.

In addition, as a Mother of a 21 year old who happens to be on Spring Break this week I can't even imagine what this young guys family is currently going thru right now... the not knowing :(

Prayers are going out to the family and the Carnival passengers who have to deal with this while on vacation... I'm still holding out and praying for a happy ending.. Hopefully this is a young man in good shape and able to keep afloat until a ship or the Coast Guard finds him.

Again, please keep us up-to-date with the facts...

. And as info, this is what John Heald has posted on his facebook page this morning..

John Heald here is the information I have

Earlier this morning, a 21-year-old male guest was reported missing on Carnival Glory and a review of camera footage confirmed a man overboard. The ship is currently en route to the location where it was at the time the individual was last seen on the camera footage and will commence search and rescue operations upon arrival. Authorities have been notified including U.S. Coast Guard which is launching a search and rescue operation as well. The ship is presently near the Bahamas.

The company's CareTeam is providing support to the guest's traveling companions. We extend our heartfelt sympathy and concern for the family and loved ones of our missing guest.

How does one go overboard on a ship unless copious amounts of alcohol are involved? Well, it's one of the Spring break weeks, so no surprise.

Sorry if I do not sound sympathetic. This just messes up everyone's cruise. :(

Tis the season. 20 something Girl stepped off the pier in Jamaica today, Breeze passenger, or at least as reported by someone on cruisecritic. I agree, unless you are just being extremely careless on a pier, or doing something you shouldn't be doing on a ship, or jump off intentionally, no way are you "falling overboard".

We are circling with the Coast Guard, helicopters and other ships. Bad deal for everyone involved. Everyone I have spoken to feels bad and is totally understanding of the circumstances. We're all just hoping and praying for a positive outcome.

Trent

Wow, couple of hours of daylight available. What are the plans for the ship? Was HMC your last port? I can't fathom being on a cruise that is doing such a search.

so the last few posters' can you see the "." prior to the word foolishness ??

yea if the dude was climbing the railing being foolish, and fell he got what he deserved ( although nobody deserves to die)

the poster wasnt saying people with illness are foolish and get what they deserve!! sheesh people

So he got what he deserved?

Young people do stupid things. Depressed people commit suicide. We have no idea right now what the circumstances are. For all we know he or she was pushed off the ship.

Compassion, people. We are talking about going on cruises and this person might be dead. Think about it.

Wow, couple of hours of daylight available. What are the plans for the ship? Was HMC your last port? I can't fathom being on a cruise that is doing such a search.

We just boarded yesterday. This was to be our fist stop. Weird vibe to be sure.

Trent

Hi-just had my internet restored. Captain let us know that we have been released by the Coast Guard from the search. The Ecstasy will stay on-site to assist in the search. We are headed to St Thomas.

I appreciate Carnival's updates with this issue and only hope the best for the passenger and his family.

Photo is from this afternoon when we reached the search site and slowed.

cc69569dce718d9a5a4bb7e25d6b9ea3.jpg