Fort Lauderdale 17th St. Traffic Question - PLEASE help

Hi all,

My daughter and I will be sailing on Allure in May, 2016. Yes, more than a year from now. I would like to try to take her to Universal Studios in Orlando for a few days prior. There really aren't any viable transportation options from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale.

I can rent a car onsite at one of Universal's hotels and return it to the Hertz location at Hyatt Pier 66 (I think that's the right location) I know there are several hotels in that 17th Street area.

I am fine with the highway driving, but city traffic in unfamiliar areas is very hard for me - it's one of my anxiety triggers. I avoid Baltimore City and DC at at all costs,opting for public transportation.

Just how easy is it to get to the hotel area of 17th Street off of the highway? Are directions and road signs clear?

Anyone with experience that can comment, please do, and many thanks.

There is a lot of traffic in that area. There are road signs too. The good thing is that you can take the highway almost all the way there, minus about 3 miles, and there are very few roads you have to know. From I-95 or FL turnpike, you go east on I595. Then north on US1 (pay close attention to exit signs to go in the right direction). Then right/east on SE 17th St. Hyatt is left at the light just over the big drawbridge.

I've driven in Baltimore and DC (lived near both) and driving in Ft Lauderdale is MUCH easier. Traffic backs up in a few spots, sometimes on SE 17th St, but it normally moves pretty quickly. Occasionally traffic into the port/convention center backs up really bad between 10 and 3.

Oh, I am very accomplished at turning around when I make wrong turns! :)

She will be 19, so she can certainly read directions and navigate. It's just the getting off the highway and to the hotel that I am worried about. 3 miles? I should be able to manage 3 miles. I hope. We have a GPS too, so I just have to make it TO the hotel.

Thank you!

There is a lot of traffic in that area. There are road signs too. The good thing is that you can take the highway almost all the way there, minus about 3 miles, and there are very few roads you have to know. From I-95 or FL turnpike, you go east on I595. Then north on US1 (pay close attention to exit signs to go in the right direction). Then right/east on SE 17th St. Hyatt is left at the light just over the big drawbridge.

I've driven in Baltimore and DC (lived near both) and driving in Ft Lauderdale is MUCH easier. Traffic backs up in a few spots, sometimes on SE 17th St, but it normally moves pretty quickly. Occasionally traffic into the port/convention center backs up really bad between 10 and 3.

Would the Bahia Mar on the beach be easier to get to, or about the same? I am looking at a map, but it doesn't give me an idea of traffic patterns.

Thank you!

Driving down the turnpike is a 3+ hour straight down shot south. Extremely easy. To get from the turnpike to the hotel it looks like you'd literally only have 2 turns to make once off the highway. Traffic can be heavy, but as far as having to do a lot of navigation...it's a pretty simple drive.

Spirit and Silver both fly MCO-FLL. Depending on where you're staying they very well may have free shuttles from hotel to airport. Just plugging in a random date, Spirit has one-ways for $49.

Would the Bahia Mar on the beach be easier to get to, or about the same? I am looking at a map, but it doesn't give me an idea of traffic patterns.

Thank you!

Embassy Suites and Bahia Mar are about 2 1/2 miles apart. Follow 17th street east (passing the Embassy Suites) which becomes A1A after crossing over the bridge. Your only 'complication' will be that A1A separates into 2 separate roads (northbound and southbound) about a mile after the bridge. Stay in the left lane (you'll be heading northbound) and take a left on SE 5th street (don't worry if you miss it, just take the next left) and then an immediate left again onto A1A south. The Bahia Mar will be on your right -- you can't miss it!

To reassure you - we moved down here after almost 40 years in northern Virginia and found the signage much, much better than in Washington, DC. The traffic can be heavy in the season but it isn't nail biting or white knuckle driving in the city (it can be on the highways but that is another story :p).

I am a nervous Nellie:o. but if I can do it so can anyone:)

It has been a few years since I have driven in the area, but I would not hesitate to do so again if I was going to be in the area for more than a day.

The road signage is excellent, and if you are prepared with either gps, or some pre printed google maps you will not have a problem.