NCL compared to Carnival and RCCL

cranddr

We just booked a cruise on NCL Escape, we have never cruised NCL before. we've Cruised Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I know we will enjoy the cruise but can anyone that has experienced all three give some insight on the differences and maybe rank all three? will we fall in love with NCL? Thank you in advance for any information and insight.

I have been on all 3 several times. I don't discriminate, love all cruises but if I had to rank them it would be:

1. Royal

2. NCL

3. Carnival

We like the design of RCCL and NCL ship a lot more than Carnival. Love the promenade on Royal ships. Also, in our opinion service is better on other lines vs Carnival but thats just my opinion and I still cruise Carnival but given a choice I would go with the other lines.

There's absolutely no one would know if you'll love NCL or not. You didn't even state WHY you enjoy CCL and RCCL.

Just know this: the cruise lines are actually more alike than different. NCL does flexible dining much better than the other 2 IMO. Also, more options for dining, both upcharge or not. Also better entertainment and lie music all over the ship in the evenings and out by the pool during the day. I think Norwegians crew is friendlier and officers much more visible.

Personally, I didn't think CCL was that great. It wasn't bad, but not great. RCCL had more options for on board activities like rock climbing and ice skating. I liked their buffet set up better, also. Loved the Royal Promenade and all the parades and activities out there.

The only one of the three I don't like is Royal Caribbean, though I might feel differently if I didn't sail solo. There's a lot to like about Carnival, but I like NCL best of all, because they do such a good job with solo cruisers and they do best those things that are important to me on a cruise.

I prefer NCL to RCCL. Both have great service IMO. Both have great entertainment. We find the food on NCL far better..subjective, I know, but I've never sent anything back on NCL and had inedible food several times on RCCL. Ships vary. One of the RCCL ships we were on was quite nice; the other the pits.

The NCL ships vary,too...from the mega ships like you'll be on to much smaller. There seemed to be a class system more evident on RCCL than NCL although NCL treats its platinum members quite nicely. It only takes 75 days to get to the top tier of the Latitudes program.

I do not care for set dining or large tables in the MDR and that was one of our problems with RCCL. On Legend of the Seas our water in the cabin smelled like the sewer....not the toilet, the water from the sink. Sewage came up in the floor down the hall. The staff on our particular cruise didn't care how things were organized or how well things went. I think many of them were getting off at the end of our repositioning cruise. Jewel of the Seas was run much better. Never had a mismanaged NCL cruise.

Haven't been brave enough to try Carnival.

You would be far better off comparing ships rather than trying to compare cruise lines. Each ship on every line has different features that may or may not appeal to you.

Exactly. I've said this before myself. Funny because there was one ship in particular on RCCL that had a big following but I hated that ship but not some of the others on RCCL. I've learned over time that I prefer the larger ships over the small ones. Read some of the professional reviews here on cruise critic and also take a look at Beyond Ships to learn as much as you can about any ship you are considering.

We just booked a cruise on NCL Escape, we have never cruised NCL before. we've Cruised Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I know we will enjoy the cruise but can anyone that has experienced all three give some insight on the differences and maybe rank all three? will we fall in love with NCL? Thank you in advance for any information and insight.

I have cruised approximately 100 times between these 3 cruise lines. In my opinion, NCL is most closely related to Carnival wrt the on board experience, entertainment and demographics. The main difference is, NCL does not permit you the option of fixed vs anytime dining. It's 100% anytime dining. As such, I highly recommend making dinner reservations to avoid lengthy wait times for a table. You have the right attitude and I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise.

You would be far better off comparing ships rather than trying to compare cruise lines. Each ship on every line has different features that may or may not appeal to you.

Considering no one has yet sailed Escape, that would be a pretty hard thing to do. The op asked the right question.

I have cruised approximately 100 times between these 3 cruise lines. In my opinion, NCL is most closely related to Carnival wrt the on board experience, entertainment and demographics. The main difference is, NCL does not permit you the option of fixed vs anytime dining. It's 100% anytime dining. As such, I highly recommend making dinner reservations to avoid lengthy wait times for a table. You have the right attitude and I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise.

Considering no one has yet sailed Escape, that would be a pretty hard thing to do. The op asked the right question.

NCL has published as much info on the Escape as they have on any of the other ships. Everyone will have varying opinions, but the ships features are pretty constant.

I have been on all three and would rank them as follows:

1. NCL

2. RCCL

3. CCL

I'd rank the three lines in this order as well.

IMO, the other lines don't do the Freestyle concept as well as NCL, and that is our favorite thing about NCL. We felt RCCL was less flexible, particularly when dining, as a result.

Entertainment is better on NCL in that there are more options that suited our tastes (we're in our early 30s) and that didn't just point us to bars for entertainment, which is what we felt like RCCL did last year.

Food is subjective, but we very much enjoy NCL's food. My normally not-picky-eater DH really disliked RCCL's food, but enjoys nearly everything on NCL. We only dine in the MDR or complimentary options on NCL and have yet to have a bad meal. Again, subjective.

It sounds as though you have an open mind and will enjoy yourselves.

The Escape looks pretty awesome! So awesome that we switched from sailing the Star next year to sailing the Escape on this year's U.S. inaugural and in January. :-)

If you haven't already, check out NCL's page on the Escape: http://www.escape.ncl.com/

I have had different experiences on the same cruise line with different ships. I really liked one Royal cruise, and the other one not as much. Same applies to Carnival. We cruised the NCL Jewel last year, and it was one of my least favorite cruises. But I have booked the Getaway for our next cruise, and expect it to be one, if not THE, new favorite.

The 3 lines really are more similar than different.

The biggest difference I have noticed with NCL is various "levels" of cruise experience. You can take a inexpensive cruise in a standard cabin and eat at the complimentary restaurants, or you can go all out with the Haven Suites with Haven concierge amenities and restricted spaces (dining and pool deck), and eat exclusively at surcharged specialty dining facilities. NCL caters to value cruisers as well as to those who want a little more luxury.

• 2 weeks later...

As others have mentioned, it would be helpful if you let us know what you've enjoyed (or not) about your previous cruises. I've never sailed RCCL but am platinum on Carnival. I did my first solo cruise in October and chose NCL as I wanted to try a different cruise line having sailed only Carnival and Princess.

I thoroughly enjoyed my NCL Jade cruise and have booked another NCL cruise for next year. NCL and Carnival are more alike than different. While I enjoyed freestyle, I think it's over-rated. I've done Your Time Dining on Carnival and Princess and found it very flexible. But, I have no problem with having a fixed time for dining. When I sailed the NCL Jade, I purchased the UDP because I wanted to try out the specialty restaurants. We always eat at the steakhouse on Carnival ships so was looking forward to so many choices on NCL. They were hit or miss, mostly good.

One of the differences I really enjoyed on NCL is how they welcome you back to the ship in port. Party on the pier. :) The service on NCL was just as good as any I've had on Carnival. My room steward was great...and received a much deserved extra tip. Loved him!

I should have been trying other cruise lines before reaching platinum on Carnival. I'm not saying I wouldn't sail them again, but NCL would be my preference. I got a flyer in the mail this week advertising Carnival's new ship that will be in Europe next year. Then I booked the Epic for a roundtrip out of Barcelona. Thanks for the prompting, Carnival. LOL.