3 Queens in Liverpool

Host Hattie

As part of the build up to the 3 Queens event in May, the Liverpool Echo has been running a series of articles about Cunard and the event.

I thought some of them might be of interest, here is a link to the index page

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/all-about/three-queens-liverpool

As part of the build up to the 3 Queens event in May, the Liverpool Echo has been running a series of articles about Cunard and the event.

I thought some of them might be of interest, here is a link to the index page

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/all-about/three-queens-liverpool

Cheers, some very interesting articles.:D

There was an article about the 3 Queens in Liverpool just now on the local TV news. They interviewed the river pilot who will board the QM2 on that day. He showed the simulator that he is practising on. :)

There was an article about the 3 Queens in Liverpool just now on the local TV news. They interviewed the river pilot who will board the QM2 on that day. He showed the simulator that he is practising on. :)

Yes, I saw that:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b054xmsb/north-west-tonight-16032015

It's about 20 and a half minutes in.

I saw the report on Granada local TV showing the river pilot practising on a simulated for the arrival of the 3 Queens. It seemed to intimate that the pilot would actually be operating the ships controls when steering the ship and also that the pilot is in charge of the ship whilst he is onboard. Both these are not correct, the pilot is there to advise the ships master with positioning and berthing, but the ships master can overrule the pilot at any time if required. Also the ships master is in overall control of the ship at all times. I believe that the only time the pilot is in total control of the ships manoeuvre is during transiting the Panama Canal and I think one other port which I cannot bring to mind at the moment.

We are on the QM2 during the Liverpool visit. It seems that she will arrive the day before the QE and QV. Does anyone know if there are any 'on board' plans for the passengers to celebrate, or do we have to wait until all three ships are together?

A couple of years ago I was on the QE when the three ships met in Southampton. Unfortunately for passengers, those embarking were 'sent away' to get their homeward transport very early a.m. as is the norm and totally missed the celebrations of the day full of firework displays etc. In fact some friends of mine who just visited Southampton for the day saw much much more than embarking passengers! Thought it would have been nice to have added an extra day in port for passengers that time. :(

We are on the QM2 during the Liverpool visit. It seems that she will arrive the day before the QE and QV. Does anyone know if there are any 'on board' plans for the passengers to celebrate, or do we have to wait until all three ships are together?

A couple of years ago I was on the QE when the three ships met in Southampton. Unfortunately for passengers, those embarking were 'sent away' to get their homeward transport very early a.m. as is the norm and totally missed the celebrations of the day full of firework displays etc. In fact some friends of mine who just visited Southampton for the day saw much much more than embarking passengers! Thought it would have been nice to have added an extra day in port for passengers that time. :(

If the passengers that disembarked were told what would occur, they could have delayed their plans and stayed in Southampton for the night if they wished.

Edited by MicCanberra