Shoes needed for 3 weeks away

packed already

Hi again, thanks for all your advise so far.

We are travelling in May 2015.

I am an Aussie who is spending 2 weeks travelling around BC followed by a 7 day Alaskan cruise. We have a 20kg pp weight limit. My "plans" are to take 3 pairs of shoes. A black pair of mid heels (sandals) to be worn most nights, a comfortable pair black leather walking shoes, to be worn most days and a pair of mid heeled wedge boots to be worn some nights with pants (or winter dresses) or some days with jeans. My husband will take one pair leather walking shoes and one pair leather dress shoes. Most hotels offer disposable slippers should we want to visit the pool in Australia, is this the same in BC and on cruise lines?

Tell me your thoughts on the "plan" and what I should / shouldn't include.

Thank you in advance.

I don't know that cruise ships have disposable slippers. We were on one in January in a suite and had robes but no slippers. I am a big fan of Ipanema Maya thong sandals. Look for that description on Amazon. I have three colors including all black. They are made out of "flip flop" material but look nothing like flip flops. I take one pair and wear them with a long skirt or dress for dinner, wear them to the pool, wear them in the room as slippers, wear them with shorts or capris...you get the idea! I also take (wear on the plane) a pair of comfotable walking shoes. That's it when traveling in warmer climates. I'm done overpacking shoes!

Hi - I would take an extra pair of shoes for both of you or at least ensure that one of each of your pairs are waterproof, just in case you get caught in the rain and you won't have a dry pair of shoes. We will be in USA/Canada at the same time as you and I will be taking 1 x strappy shoes, 1 x sandals & 1 x walking boots and 1 x walking shoes (all black) which are suitable for either hot or cold weather. We will be going to Hawaii and Las Vegas on our trip so we will need both hot / cold suitable shoes.

Don't worry too much, you can always buy more gear over there and ditch something to fit these in your suitcase. Is there any chance of you purchasing extra luggage? I would also check your luggage allowance as from previous travel experience most airlines offer 2 x pieces of checking luggage per passenger of flights to / from the USA / Australia.

I am an Aussie who is spending 2 weeks travelling around BC followed by a 7 day Alaskan cruise. We have a 20kg pp weight limit. My "plans" are to take 3 pairs of shoes. A black pair of mid heels (sandals) to be worn most nights, a comfortable pair black leather walking shoes, to be worn most days and a pair of mid heeled wedge boots to be worn some nights with pants (or winter dresses) or some days with jeans. My husband will take one pair leather walking shoes and one pair leather dress shoes. Most hotels offer disposable slippers should we want to visit the pool in Australia, is this the same in BC and on cruise lines?

Thank you in advance.

I'm with the others who suggest another pair of walking shoes, and leave the boots behind. It will depend on the hotels you stay at, whether or not you get disposable slippers. I think it would be worth your time (and the tiny bit of luggage space) to bring along a pair of flip flops, or walking sandals like Merrells, if you can spare the space and weight. Or buy flip flops once in Canada and abandon them before you fly home.

First consider what shoes you would wear in Alaska. You will need the best hiking or walking shoes you have. Be sure to waterproof these items. Many products available to complete this act. To avoid packing & weight issues, wear these shoes on the plane trip & perhaps while boarding the ship. You can then change them out in your stateroom.

Your husband will want another pair of shoes, so some kind of running/walking shoes for the times he does not wants the boots or his dress shoes. Finally I would take a zip-lock bag or small plastic bag & put an extra pair of wool socks in them & carry them with me at all times while in Alaska. Even if your feet get wet, you now will have a nice dry pair of socks to change into keeping your feet warm.

As others have said forget the heeled or spiked shoes & replace them with something very comfortable. ( just my 2C's worth of caring for your feet )

Welcome to the last frontier, John

Thank you in advance.

Should ask your husband pack his stuff light so you can have all the space needed for those shoes. Go girls!

Thanks everyone for your input, it looks like another pair of shoes will go in for both of us plus flip flops. Just couldn't see how we need flip flops in Alaska in May. (Help me out here)

It isn't the airline that causes the restriction (23kg each in checked luggage) but the pre cruise tour that only allows 20kg pp.Yes, hubby will pack light but once you take everyone's suggestions about alarms clocks, power boards, binoculars, torch (and the list goes on) I'm not sure how we will get it all in.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks everyone for your input, it looks like another pair of shoes will go in for both of us plus flip flops. Just couldn't see how we need flip flops in Alaska in May. (Help me out here)

Are you planning to use the pools/hot tubs at all? Either on the ship or at any of the hotels you will stay at along the way? If so, you will want flip flops. If you don't plan to ever use a pool and aren't even taking a bathing suit, then you probably don't need them.

Personally, I usually take at least 3 pairs of flip flops and wear them around the ship most of the time.:cool:

Flip flops if you do sauna, spa, inside pool. As slippers for your balcony/room.

Leave out the wedge boots and bring a comfortable pair of tennis shoes/sneakers each, not sure what you call them. Preferably, waterproof or buy the spray and spray them.

You also need a waterproof hooded jacket/jumper.

but once you take everyone's suggestions about alarms clocks, power boards, binoculars, torch (and the list goes on) I'm not sure how we will get it all in. Suggestions welcome.

You're right it is really easy for the packing to get out of hand. Having the right shoes is a big priority for me because if my feet aren't happy, then I'm not happy.;)

OTOH, alarm clock - nope don't need one. I'm a light sleeper, and am up at all kinds of weird hours. The plus side of which is having the ship virtually to myself at 3am.:)

You really need to scrutinize every item you are going to pack. For me, this trip is very different than any other vacation because of all the different activities and environmental conditions.

You really can't take everything. So make sure each item really deserves the space in your bags. It's a challenge.

Two weeks ahead of time I actually packed everything just to see if I had enough space. That's something I've never done before. But it was so worth it. Some items did not make the cut when I saw the result. In particular, consider taking fewer clothes. Seriously, no one is going to know if you wear the same outfit multiple times. For me, on a 2-week trip, laundry at some point is a given.

Also, I second the recommendation on a waterproof hooded jacket.

Better look at those temperatures in May....Leather boots may or may not be suitable...They tend to be cold, and although it is very warm for Alaska this year, it is not unusual to have freezing temps in May.....and snow....Typically leaves are not out in the Anchorage area until the 3rd week of May....There will be lots of light to help wake you up...Right now we have about 12 hours already.....:)

Here's my 2 cents worth.

I'm sight-seeing Vancouver and cruising Alaska in May, also (third time). I live in Washington State, not too far from Vancouver. I rarely wear sandals before June/July and don't plan on taking any (even for dress up) on the ship. Fancy flats or short heeled shoes are more practical. Go for comfort on this trip and pack 2 pairs of tennis shoes and/or short hiking boots. I always take a cheap pair of flip flops to use as slippers and for spa or pool use. It will be cold on deck and possibly raining or misting in both Vancouver and on the ship. Pack accordingly. Extra socks, layered outfits. The weather may be pleasant in May, but it is unlikely it will be very warm or hot.

It isn't the airline that causes the restriction (23kg each in checked luggage) but the pre cruise tour that only allows 20kg pp.Yes, hubby will pack light but once you take everyone's suggestions about alarms clocks, power boards, binoculars, torch (and the list goes on) I'm not sure how we will get it all in.

Suggestions welcome.

I would go with 23kg and tip the person who brings in / takes out the luggage each day for you.

Tips: Alarm clock / torch - if you have a mobile phone it can double as these two things.

Put any heavier items into you "carry on" bag on the coach trip.

Carry your jacket onto the coach each day of the tour, don't pack it - it is then easily accessible if you need it and can be used as a cushion on the coach, saves weight in your bag.

Toiletries can be heavy - so just pack the bare minimum of shampoo / conditioners / toothpaste in smaller than usual containers (Most hotels will provide shampoo / conditioners however I still carry a small supply in case it's no good).

If you are leaving from / returning to the same place i.e. Vancouver see if you can leave some additional luggage i.e. formal gear if you are taking this for the cruise and leave it at the hotel and pick it up on your return at the end of your land tour and prior to your cruise.

Also as a last resort, contact the company you are doing the land tour on and ask if it's possible to leave a small bag in the coach luggage compartment and not have it delivered to your room each day and that you would be responsible for taking it off the coach at the end of the tour.

Good luck - it's a challenge to pack when you have limited weight!;)

Thanks, I have already investigated some of your suggestions such as leaving a bag in Vancouver and packing minimal toiletries so I will try packing and weighing two weeks out and then ditch what doesn't fit, just another question, is it acceptable to go to dinner in your jeans or do I need to change and dress in a different outfit that is more dressy each night?

People do go to dinner in jeans. Personally, although I live in jeans at home and on most vacations, this is one trip where the jeans stay home. Too heavy. I prefer cargo pants that zip off into shorts. More flexibility and they come in a lighter weight fabric where I can add a layer under them if needed. Nylon or polyester blends dry faster, too. Helpful when doing laundry or if you get rained on. Unless we are grabbing a quick dinner at the buffet, I don't wear them to the dining room. But that's just me.

Edited by portiemom
additional explanation