help w Caribbean itinerary

SparkleBee

I've got no experience in the Caribbean so not sure which ports to visit. It will be me and my 2 teens. would like to snorkel, see turtles and dolphins, anything especially beautiful and unique. ancient ruins good. not going to museums.

which of these itineraries is best in your opinion?

Cozumel/Falmouth/Labadee

St. Maarten/San Juan/Labadee

Nassau/St. Thomas/St. Kitts

(these are the choices for RCI Oasis and Allure next summer)

I think first you need to do some research on ports in the Caribbean and find those that offer what you want. Then look for a ship that goes there. Mr Google, and the Ports of Call boards here at CC can help. EM

I've got no experience in the Caribbean so not sure which ports to visit. It will be me and my 2 teens. would like to snorkel, see turtles and dolphins, anything especially beautiful and unique. ancient ruins good. not going to museums.

Cozumel/Falmouth/Labadee

From your profile, it looks like you're from OC. If you've been to Hawaii (particularly Kauai) or any of most of the islands in the south or western Pacific, you may find the Caribbean to be a bit disappointing.

With two teens, I would also advise that you do not skip museums, at least those that give dimension to the history and culture of the places you are visiting.

Cozumel/Falmouth/Labadee

Would recommend reading on line or a travel book to learn more about the ports of call.

You could also look at the RC Shore Excursion site (for information; not necessarily with the idea of booking one of the excursions).

Labadee is part of Haiti and is RC's own area - it is not a true island (people often call it RC's private island). The ship docks there and it is a large beach complex. Again, read the RC website.

Oasis and Allure are great ships for active families should you choose to pick one of their sailings.

Just an FYI should you decide on a different cruise, be aware that you may tender - Cayman Islands as an example. Tender ports can change dependent on the weather so don't truly bank on a tender port. As an example, have missed Coco Kay (RC's true private island) on a couple of cruises because they could not tender. Oasis and Allure are too big to tender so they pretty much always dock at the ports booked/advertise.

thank you for your input. I pretty much chose the ships I wanted and am trying to decide which of their itineraries are the best. Oasis/Allure have a big wow factor and I know my kids would love it!!! I have been reading about the ports but none of them seem too outstanding, which is why I asked for opinions.

The port forums here are full of ideas for excursions.

Just a suggestion if doing the Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Kitts itinerary:

We went to the Blue Lagoon Island in Nassau from the RCI ship Enchantment and did the Dolphin Encounter. It was very good.

We did Blue Lagoon in Nassau for the Dolphins too. It is beautiful. Love San Juan and there is so much to do. St. Marteen is going to be a beach day on our next trip there. Falmouth was not our favorite island. We love the private island and it's always a fun day. Haven't been to St. Kitts but love St. Thomas. Because you know you want to do the Dolphin encounter and I love the Blue Lagoon in Nassau, I think the one that includes would satisfy what you're looking for. There are some good options with any of the three since they have a really good Dolphin encounter in Cozumel too. We've been to Hawaii twice. My favorite place EVER, but I'm not sure you will be disappointed in the Caribbean. The waters there are some of the most beautiful in the world. We've picked the ship first and then itinerary too. Not a bad choice at all.

There are a lot of ports that you have listed that I haven't been to but wanted to weigh in on the ports we have. Cozumel has some great snorkeling but it's best to take a catamaran or other type of boat to the snorkel sites. They have a "drift" snorkel that is great. Try to go with a smaller group otherwise it's a zoo.

St. Thomas had okay snorkeling but St. Maarten's was pretty poor. I've heard if you go to St. Johns on your St. Thomas stop that the snorkeling is great.

I just thought I would throw this in so you know which ports to do something other than snorkel.