Proof of 18% gratuity on specialty restaurants

hpecorari

If you receive a bill of 0,00 (zero), then 18% of zero is also zero....

If you purchase the UDP (and pay for it), then others have reported that there is a 18% added to the amount you pay online. You don't pay it twice. And if you have already purchased the UDP earlier, before they added the 18%, then you will not have to pay the 18% on board. At least that is the way I have understood it - by reading all the posts in this thread.

So where is the waiters 18% coming from on all those free UDP promo packages? How long will it be before there is an * in the UDP promo to indicate that an 18% gratuity will be added to the bill at the time of service based on the normal cover charge? Or they start adding in the auto grat on the free UBP packages per drink. That will be next, IMO.

Us too. Even hough I don't like the way NCL is slipping this in I will not penalise cabin stewards and MDR waiters or others by removing DSC.

The 18% is less tan what we usually tip in cash.

How many are in your party typically? How much extra do you leave? My party will be 8 people on our next cruise. That is a HUGE fee at 18% on top of DSC. Additionally the chances are these additional tips will continue to be pooled. Removing a like amount from the DSC does not change your pooled tip amount and does not punish anyone.

6&8

So where is the waiters 18% coming from on all those free UDP promo packages? How long will it be before there is an * in the UDP promo to indicate that an 18% gratuity will be added to the bill at the time of service based on the normal cover charge? Or they start adding in the auto grat on the free UBP packages per drink. That will be next, IMO.

You already pay the gratuity on the UBP. They charge 18% on top of the package price.

6&8

How many are in your party typically? How much extra do you leave? My party will be 8 people on our next cruise. That is a HUGE fee at 18% on top of DSC. Additionally the chances are these additional tips will continue to be pooled. Removing a like amount from the DSC does not change your pooled tip amount and does not punish anyone.

6&8

And the chances are these additional tips are not going to be pooled. No one knows, you don't know if removing a like amount from the DSC will punish anyone or not!!!!

Why not just speak with the manager at the specialty restaurant and tell him/her that you don't want to pay the 18 percent gratuity? That will tell NCL that you disagree with this.

Edited by NLH Arizona

They can't do it for the free UBP because the terms of the promotion explicitly say that the 18% gratuity is included. (For people who booked before this month, the terms said 15%, so legally NCL could make those people pay the additional 3%, but I don't see that happening.)

For the UDP, it's anyone's guess (the promo terms don't mention the tip for specialty dining at all, of course). I don't think they can get away with adding it after the fact, I don't know about legally, but certainly the outcry would be deafening. For future promos, I expect they will include an explicit statement about the 18%, whether it is included or not.

since the rise in DSC does this now include the Butler ?

Just a Thought

If NCL had increase the cover charge by 18% and said cover still includes gratuities would there be such an outcry?

NCL seem like other line's able to shot its self in the foot.

Makes you wonder about the usefulness of the high paid executives in this business.

j

And the chances are these additional tips are not going to be pooled. No one knows, you don't know if removing a like amount from the DSC will punish anyone or not!!!!

Why not just speak with the manager at the specialty restaurant and tell him/her that you don't want to pay the 18 percent gratuity? That will tell NCL that you disagree with this.

The cash tips are pooled, so there is little doubt in my mind these will be too. This was done IMHO to give NCL control over more tips as they probably had issues with people pocketing the cash even though it was to be pooled.

I will do whatever is easier for me to do (I am the one on vacation). In this case it is far easier to go one time to guest services and remove DSC then to fight the battle each night in a specialty as we dine exclusively there.

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

As of March 20, 2015, Norwegian Cruise Line will include an 18% gratuity on all specialty and entertainment dining. This gratuity has been added as a convenience for our guests, and is in-line with current tipping practices at land-based restaurants.

What about the Platinum Latitudes free meal. Will we now get an 18% surcharge on that?

I assume if UDP is purchased, like UBP the extra tip is already included?

Really wish they'd end this tip culture, if the staff need to be paid more then just increase the fare per passenger or say Cagneys from $30 to $32 or something .. Tips and VAT and ... :rolleyes:

since the rise in DSC does this now include the Butler ?

Just a Thought

If NCL had increase the cover charge by 18% and said cover still includes gratuities would there be such an outcry?

NCL seem like other line's able to shot its self in the foot.

Makes you wonder about the usefulness of the high paid executives in this business.

j

Bring back Kevin! It's clear he was passenger satisfaction and crew satisfaction orientated whereas the new guy is just to make more $$ first :(

What about the Platinum Latitudes free meal. Will we now get an 18% surcharge on that?

I assume if UDP is purchased, like UBP the extra tip is already included?

Really wish they'd end this tip culture, if the staff need to be paid more then just increase the fare per passenger or say Cagneys from $30 to $32 or something .. Tips and VAT and ... :rolleyes:

I thought I remember seeing a post that someone had a free meal and they were only charged the 18 percent on the lobster, which cost them as well as it was over and above the free meal.

They have said you will pay the 18 percent at the time you purchase the UDP.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I already prepaid for a specialty restaurant for my upcoming cruise in April, will I be charged an extra 18% or should I leave a tip?

The way I understand it, you will not be charged an extra 18% because you purchased the dinner before they changed the conditions... You will just have to wait and see how it will be, but in your case I don't think it will be added.

Edited by TrumpyNor

As of March 20, 2015, Norwegian Cruise Line will include an 18% gratuity on all specialty and entertainment dining. This gratuity has been added as a convenience for our guests, and is in-line with current tipping practices at land-based restaurants.

The land-based restaurants near me don't charge a DSC in addition to an expectation of %-based gratuities.

I'm also quite displeased with this. Instead of eating at 7 specialities, we'll stick to the included Haven restaurant. That's $280 minimum out of NCL's pocket.

Not the smartest business decision. Mr. Del Rio, now you have to find an extra $330 instead of $50.

And, frankly, I'm also going to start exploring alternate cruise-lines. The Escape could be our last NCL.

Stephen

I'm very confused by how this will work for me. I booked in Feb for an April cruise. I prepaid for the UDP and booked the Illusionarium as well.

But I am traveling with a 9 year old who will not eat off the kids menu so his meals will be 50% off since I couldn't buy him an UDP.

So does that mean I won't be charged the 18% but he would? :confused:

I'm very confused by how this will work for me. I booked in Feb for an April cruise. I prepaid for the UDP and booked the Illusionarium as well.

But I am traveling with a 9 year old who will not eat off the kids menu so his meals will be 50% off since I couldn't buy him an UDP.

So does that mean I won't be charged the 18% but he would? :confused:

Yes. You will get a bill for 50% the base rate (Cost of a child) plus 18% on that total.

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

but you don't pay a DSC on land to cover food service. poor misleading response IMO...

Hmmm. When I mentioned on DCL board I was going with NCL I was warned of all the nickel & diming... Others said' date=' "No way."

Now I'm not sure what to think.[/quote']

I have to agree with the DCL board. NCL is now clearly nickel and diming.

The land-based restaurants near me don't charge a DSC in addition to an expectation of %-based gratuities.

I'm also quite displeased with this. Instead of eating at 7 specialities, we'll stick to the included Haven restaurant. That's $280 minimum out of NCL's pocket.

Not the smartest business decision. Mr. Del Rio, now you have to find an extra $330 instead of $50.

And, frankly, I'm also going to start exploring alternate cruise-lines. The Escape could be our last NCL.

Stephen

Ditto for us. We will stick to Haven restaurant and platinum dining benefit, so probably a $200 loss from us.

Also we will probably branch out after our Escape cruise in December. Everything from DSC, drinks, grats, specialty dining has increased since we booked. Not suggesting that prices on other lines are not adjusting also but one after another over a few months is a bit much. I enjoy the benefits from being long term customer but not enough to feel so loyal anymore.

but you don't pay a DSC on land to cover food service. poor misleading response IMO...

Wait! You've never been to a restaurant where you get a bill and on that bill there is:

$12.00 Service Charge

$18% gratuity for going there and eating their food

$18% gratuity on your drinks????

Me either!

Harriet

I have to agree with the DCL board. NCL is now clearly nickel and diming.

After 5+ years of pretty loyal defending against those accusations, now I too have to agree.

Charging two different fees for the same service is the dealbreaker for me - since instead of just us two we are going with a small group on our Jan 2016 cruise, we shall not cancel it, but in the foreseeabe future that will be our last with NCL - we already found a more interesting Celebrity cruise for 2017 with a slightly larger group.

Again, as far as anyone knows, this is not happening. Since the purchased UDP, as of today, includes the 18% auto-tip, I fully expect the promotional UDP, and the UDP for people who pre-purchased before today, to be treated the same way. Just like when they modified the rules for the UBP earlier this month, they were modified retroactively for everyone who got the package (free or purchased) before that. Time will tell.

These tips will be pooled without question. You have no proof to the contrary, and even refuse to accept that the cash tips given prior to this were also pooled even though many have chimed in that they were also told this. maybe you should dial back your undeserved hostility to people that can see this for what it is a double dipping money grab that is not being done to benefit anyone other then NCL. They know that they can use the employees as a shield from backlash because people like you will try to make other feel guilty for not wanting to be ripped off.

6&8