Epic in Europe

CruisingGs

Looking for some ideas on exploring the ports from someone that has recently cruised on the Epic. We don't typically use the NCL excursions too much because of the prices. Anyone have any great suggestions on what to do?

Last year we went on the Jade and used the hop on hop off bus in Athens. And used a bus the get to dubrovnik. We love saving money but still enjoying :-)

I thought it would be easier to get advice from someone who has done this route with NCL to give their personal advice. They would know the timing and if the excursions would end up being cheaper or more worth the organization.

For Barcelona and Naples it is very easy to get into the towns, Naples you can walk and Barcelona get the Port shuttle T3 I think its 3 euro return it drops you near the Columbus monument so you can walk around from there . Both do Hop on Hop off buses .

Civitavecchia (for Rome ) you need to travel there its approx 1hour to an hour and a half away .

Livorno you can walk into I think,? but for Florence and Pisa you need to travel .Cannes is a tender boat but once ashore you can walk .

Join the NCL EPIC roll call for your sailing and you can join up with others for excursions to cut cost . when do you sail ?

Trip adviser forums for each port are also very useful

I have not sailed this route on Epic yet i go May 31st But I have been to Naples and Barcelona a couple of times

You can walk into Naples, but why anyone would want to is beyond me. It's a dump. The only thing worth walking into Naples for is the train station.

However, there are lots of things nearby. Pompeii is a train journey away and you can get to Capri or Sorrento by ferry. You need to decide what you want to do beforehand and then research the best way.

Rome is quite easy to DIY as long as you are happy using the trains. Again, research beforehand to avoid queueing. You can book tickets for places like the Colosseum so you can jump the queues. Also, know the train timetables. I think it's worth paying the extra for the express train back, which is quicker and guarantees you a seat.

We went to Pisa on the train from Livorno, which was fine, although I'd budget for a taxi back to the ship from the train station. Florence is a bit more of a trek, but can be done.

Cannes was fine to wander around.

Barcelona is a short shuttle bus ride from the port. Lost to walk around.

You can walk into Naples, but why anyone would want to is beyond me. It's a dump. The only thing worth walking into Naples for is the train station.

This is a personal view from Keith , please do your own research to make up your own mind .

We booked an underground tour of the Bourbon tunnels it cost 10 euro each and we had an English speaking guide for just 2 of us , it was a fascinating experience and well worth it . We walked from the port to the Entrance to the Tunnels we (2 ladies) felt very happy and safe doing this even though I got us lost :o we asked for directions from a police man who was very helpful, Once going through the tunnels we came out the other end so we had a short walk heading back to the sea we walked along the coast road stopping in a bar for a drink and had a pleasant walk back to the ship we had planned to go to so much more in Naples but it was our last day and we were too tired .

Yes, it was a personal view, and an obvious generalisation. I'm sure there are some very interesting things in Naples, but if anyone is looking for somewhere to just have a walk around then I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Naples is a gateway.. It always seems to be rebuilding. I agree with Keith. I've done Hike up Mt Vesuvius which was great and Pompeii , also there's the quieter Herculaneum

Naples is only a gateway if you want it to be .

its the same in Civitavecchia , most people only see it as the port for Rome ! but if you research there is so many more places you can visit locally or even have a walk around Civitavecchia itself, which we did in February. We booked a walking tour (Civita tours) it cost 15 euros each and we had 2 guides for just the 3 of us we started by having coffee and biscuits in their new small wine shop then after the walking tour we had tapas and wine :D all for 15 euro each , we actually all paid 20 because we enjoyed it so much .

its the same in Civitavecchia , most people only see it as the port for Rome ! but if you research there is so many more places you can visit locally or even have a walk around Civitavecchia itself, which we did in February. We booked a walking tour (Civita tours) it cost 15 euros each and we had 2 guides for just the 3 of us we started by having coffee and biscuits in their new small wine shop then after the walking tour we had tapas and wine :D all for 15 euro each , we actually all paid 20 because we enjoyed it so much .

Can I asked how you booked this, did u book in advance or at the pier? Thanks

This is why it is so important to peruse the Ports of Call boards!!! You will all kinds of information about trips that off the beaten path so to speak.

Can I asked how you booked this, did u book in advance or at the pier? Thanks

I emailed them to see what tours and trips they were offering for my sailing , (they could organise private excursions not mentioned online )

I then emailed back to say I was interested in the walking tour and once we got off the free shuttle from the ship the reps from Civita were there to meet us and we just paid at the end of the tour .

I emailed them to see what tours and trips they were offering for my sailing , (they could organise private excursions not mentioned online )

I then emailed back to say I was interested in the walking tour and once we got off the free shuttle from the ship the reps from Civita were there to meet us and we just paid at the end of the tour .

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info.

• 2 months later...

My wife and and I took the roma tour today (15 May 2015) from Civitavecchia Port with Civitatours and had a horrible experience. Firstly the tour bus did not depart on time as they were trying to get more people to join the tour. Instead of 9.30am, the bus departed on 9.45am only. They did managed to get one additional couple to sign up.

During the morning tour, one old couple almost got left behind. I informed the tour guide that they are behind but instead of waiting for them, she told me that she will walk slowly ahead. I took the initiaitve to wait for them and show them the way. Only when we are all in the bus, did she starting counting the passengers.

In the afternoon, we were dropped off at the Trevi fountain and told to made our way to Piazza Nirvano at 3.50pm. We were 5 minutes late and to our horror the tour guide were no way to be seen. We had to take a taxi to the port terminal which cost us 170 Euro. We meet the other passengers at the port terminal as we took the same port bus to the ship. We learned from the old couple whom we help that the tour guide was not aware that my wife and I were not at Piazza Nirvano. She only knew 2 passengers were missing after she started counting at the bus. By then, I suppose it was too late to do anything. Had she done a head count at Piazza Nirvano and waited for another 5 minutes, we would not miss the tour bus. I find the tour guide attitude very unprofessional and not all bothered or concerned about her passengers. With that kind of attitude, she is certainly not suitable to be tour guide.

We are very traumatized by being abandoned by the guide. Worse thing is that the company was willing to pay us only 50% of the tour fares which amounted to only 27 euros for the both of us. When we refused and email back to them, they did not even brother to reply to our email.

Best complaint ever, starting with a complaint about not leaving on time and then complaining about timing being late yourself.

Oh and ontopic my tip for Palma, it has a nice touristic rail line over the island with a view stop. Or just rent a cheap €30,- economy car from one of the venues at the boulevard (10-15 min. walking distance from the ship) and explore the mountains.

Looking for some ideas on exploring the ports from someone that has recently cruised on the Epic. We don't typically use the NCL excursions too much because of the prices. Anyone have any great suggestions on what to do?

Last year we went on the Jade and used the hop on hop off bus in Athens. And used a bus the get to dubrovnik. We love saving money but still enjoying :-)

Others have suggested joining your roll call and I am going to suggest looking at each of the ports here on cc. We just took this cruise Rome/Rome and with others in our roll call we booked private tours. They were great. I do not think I can mention them here but as I said you can look at each of the ports or check out rollcalls. Ours was May 13th ;)

Livorno - did the Cinque Terre excursion through NCL. I loved it.

Cannes - You can easily explore on your own. Better yet, take the train to Nice for 7E per person.

Mallorca - Only 5 hours here, we just relaxed and shopped at the mall that's very close to port

Barcelona - easy to do on your own. We taxi'd to Sagrada Familia and then walked to Casa Batllo and to get tapas before catching a taxi on the way back

Naples - did the Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii tour through NCL. Loved it. Would not recommend if you're out of shape.

Check with Rome in limo. We did have 2 other couples sharing the cost but it was our second time in Rome and the best independent excursion we did. There are many reviews on cruise critic.

We also used Rome In Limo for both Livorno and Naples - we had a group of 15, they were both wonderful tours.